EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   my first experience with the kiwi mpg (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/my-first-experience-kiwi-mpg-8447.html)

jetta2.5L 05-20-2009 03:42 AM

my first experience with the kiwi mpg

well i finally put my kiwi mpg in my car and since its 2:30am what better time then now to give it a go....well went and filled my tank then took a 15mile cruise hit a couple lights hopped on the highway for about 6.5miles .... for some reason when i got home my average was 24.1mpg overall :( i wasnt too happy with that maybe if i clean out my car and wash it that will make a difference anybody else have a kiwi mpg? i think for 89 bucks you cant really go wrong it does close to everything the scangauge does just cheaper!

cfg83 05-20-2009 04:04 AM

jetta2.5L -

I look at OBDII gauges as "relative" MPG barometers because they use the other data inputs to extrapolate MPG. Scangauge has their "secret algorithm", and so does Kiwi. Does the Kiwi ask you for the engine size as an input?

That's my two krones,

CarloSW2

jetta2.5L 05-20-2009 04:10 AM

nope...just fuel tank size and gas price i think i just need to wear it in and take it on a nice hour cruise that way i might be able to get some better numbers i do like the fact it keeps track of fuel cost thats a tool that will come in handle when friends need rides ;) down to the penny cough it up hahaha

cfg83 05-20-2009 12:14 PM

jetta2.5L -

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetta2.5L (Post 105291)
nope...just fuel tank size and gas price i think i just need to wear it in and take it on a nice hour cruise that way i might be able to get some better numbers i do like the fact it keeps track of fuel cost thats a tool that will come in handle when friends need rides ;) down to the penny cough it up hahaha

Fascinating (the way Spock says it). At first I thought it had to be a similar algorithm, but no engine size means it's gotta be different, perhaps in significant ways. With the SG, the fuel consumption changes considerably as a function of the engine size.

CarloSW2

Daox 05-20-2009 12:44 PM

Yeah, when I tested the kiwi on my Paseo, it told me I was getting about 20 some mpg too. It needs to be calibrated just like the scangauge does.

MazdaMatt 05-20-2009 12:49 PM

Keep us updated on how it is calibrated. Does this one also scan/clear OBDII codes?

jetta2.5L 05-20-2009 03:19 PM

yes it does read /clear codes i think i really gotta mess with the calibration because it told me my average on the highway drifting behind a rig @ 60 was 19.0mpg but the instant was saying 64.6mpg make sense? not to me ...as for the engine size i think that more problem is the kiwi dont know my engine size like cfg83 was saying....guess it takes some work but i gotta work for the $60 i saved i should have not cheaped out and bought a scangauge in the long run

cfg83 05-20-2009 03:48 PM

jetta2.5L -

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetta2.5L (Post 105374)
yes it does read /clear codes i think i really gotta mess with the calibration because it told me my average on the highway drifting behind a rig @ 60 was 19.0mpg but the instant was saying 64.6mpg make sense? not to me ...as for the engine size i think that more problem is the kiwi dont know my engine size like cfg83 was saying....guess it takes some work but i gotta work for the $60 i saved i should have not cheaped out and bought a scangauge in the long run

I think you are doing the forum a favor because knowing stuff about another OBDII product is cool beans in my book. A different algorithm is *intriguing* from my POV. Your are our "Kiwi Pioneer".

CarloSW2

jetta2.5L 05-20-2009 03:56 PM

haha thanks least in the 18 hours i already have made a name for myself :-) i gotta cruise to my bank so iam going to keep messing with the calib. and maybe i will get it to show so numbers.

jetta2.5L 05-20-2009 05:46 PM

well........iam getting angry at this thing already but i think the calib. is 1.22 my whole thing is they said its plug and play why cant you just plug the damn thing in and play already! its saying 28/33hwy 17/22city and thats around my epa ratings i had to call plx and the guy there said yeah you just have to play with it! ....and its based on a air flow sensor and something else.