Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Question about smoothies or Moon caps/rims

So I'm new and drive the antithesis of aerodynamics--an '06 SCION XB. I've been doing some general non-eco modding (interior and sound system), but want to do some stuff to improve fuel efficiency as well. I'm thinking about NGK iridium plugs, an afe air filter, and smoothies, probably caps b/c they're cheaper. Here's my question. Can I do baby moons or whatver they're called, where it's just the center cap on top of the steelies, or does it need to be the whole cap? For looks and price, I'd prefer the baby moons (I'm not going to use pizza pans), but ultimately I want to improve my mileage to lessen my impact, so I'll go with the full ones if that's what it takes.

Here's a pic of the center moon caps: http://www.autoamenity.com/images/Nubs-MoonInst.jpg

Here's the full caps: Smoothie Hubcaps 15 inch

and stainless without the lip: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26um%3D1

Thanks for your input! Peace.

Last edited by jgubser; 01-07-2010 at 02:29 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
jgubser -

Welcome to EM! I love those snap-in racing disks, but there's an even bet they will fall off over time. I think it depends on how nice your roads are.

It should be the whole cap, but you can also go with "mostly smooth" covers that have vents on the side. Here's an old (late 1980's?!?!?) Honda style :

Honda Civic Hubcaps, Honda Civic Wheel Covers and hub caps - Hubcaps.com

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
It should be the whole cap, but you can also go with "mostly smooth" covers that have vents on the side. Here's an old (late 1980's?!?!?) Honda style :

Honda Civic Hubcaps, Honda Civic Wheel Covers and hub caps - Hubcaps.com

CarloSW2
yeah. that's the cap on my '86 accord.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Getting BETTER Mileage

Lucky No 19 - '11 Ram 1500 Express ST

Venti - '13 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgubser View Post
So I'm new and drive the antithesis of aerodynamics--an '06 SCION XB. I've been doing some general non-eco modding (interior and sound system), but want to do some stuff to improve fuel efficiency as well. I'm thinking about NGK iridium plugs, an afe air filter, and smoothies, probably caps b/c they're cheaper. Here's my question. Can I do baby moons or whatver they're called, where it's just the center cap on top of the steelies, or does it need to be the whole cap? For looks and price, I'd prefer the baby moons (I'm not going to use pizza pans), but ultimately I want to improve my mileage to lessen my impact, so I'll go with the full ones if that's what it takes.

Here's a pic of the center moon caps: http://www.autoamenity.com/images/Nubs-MoonInst.jpg

and stainless without the lip: Google Image Result for http://www.autoamenity.com/images/RD-4.jpg

Might I suggest never to run any type of spark plug other than the OE plug unless you have upgraded / changed the ignition coil(s) Vehicle ignition systems are designed with a certain resistance in mind per spark. IE it takes 'x' volts to jump said gap. Meddling with the resistance (Fine Wire Iridium plugs for example) have a far lower resistance. The common belief is "Great, I'll get a hotter spark everytime" I've found this to be far from the truth. The car I recently purchased had said NGK Iridium plugs. Ran kinda silly. Did nothing other than replace with standard NGK copper plugs, almost all issues disappeared. Save your money, and use stock style plugs (Some vehicles ARE Fine Wire Iridium stock) But 'upgrading' plug types... Save your money.

As for the AFE Intake, go for it! I love the Injen intake my car has on it. The only noticeable increase was a seductive growl when at WOT. Since I didn't install it, I can't tell you about the performance er.. Mileage gains, but it does sound far cooler than any other 200SX I've ever been in.

I think on most modern cars, your best bet is to get a ScanGuage II (or watch your stock one if so equipped) and pay close attention to your driving style. I've been working really hard on this (even w/o a SGII) I notice I needlessly apply alot of throttle. It's a hard habbit to fix!

You also might look into a upper grill block (and a partial lower grill block). If you drive thru the Mojave with the AC cranked up, you MIGHT need all the grill opening, otherwise... I think most of it is just for 'looks' because customers are used to the HUGE grills required by the GIANT V8's of yesteryear (not to mention the horridly inefficient radiators they came with).

Find yourself a roll of 'colormatch' duct tape and go to town. I got a roll of Red duct tape at Lowes. It's not a perfect match, but for temporary testing, it works CHOICE and doesn't look TOOO silly. Then when you figure out what works and what doesn't, make it permanent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jethro For This Useful Post:
CoolFeet (09-01-2012)
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
MOONs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgubser View Post

and stainless without the lip: Google Image Result for http://www.autoamenity.com/images/RD-4.jpg

I do not know of any documentation on anything other than full,flush wheel covers,so I can't help on the Baby-Moon question.
If you'll check the seminars and mod data,you'll find a section on wheels.You can see what others have achieved and compare that to your xB and see if they make sense.
Also,if you can find any kind of flush-type snap-on covers,put them on,tape them closed and test for mpg.
If you like the results,then perhaps the cost of the real thing is justified.

Reply  Post New Thread