Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Where is my Max Roof Camber?

Hello -

I start with this image :

Then I look at a side view of my wagon and see that the maximum height *appears* to be above the rear seats :

That led me to this overlay, where the dark line of the tear drop shape is scaled to be "above" the outline of my car :

If I were to limit the extension of a "Kamm-Spoiler" to the rear bumper, that would imply a ~7 degree slope that would take me to this :

Does this look correct?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
You can see in your third picture, the image of the SW needs to be rotated slightly counterclockwise.

The template calls for that arrow to be lined up with the highest point on the roof, where the roof is flat. Then you use a sawzall behind that point to generate an ideal teardrop shape.

I propose that if your roofline is curved downward less steeply than the template and you don't want to sawzall, you can slide the template rearward until the angle of your roof matches the angle on the template. This is equivalent to lengthening the fore-body. In any case, the slope of the roof must match the slope of the template where you begin your modding. Otherwise you will have a crease running the width of your roof.

I recommend blowing up your images to a few thousand pixels wide before aligning the template.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Carlos, you can always move the max roof camber forward.

This would allow you to "Kamm" the whole rear half of the car (both roof and sides). The rear extension would be the ideal 12° cherry topping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carlosw2.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	5881  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 03-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
Piwoslaw -

Ha ha, I was thinking about that last night, i.e. why didn't Saturn just make the car that way!?!?!? If I had the skillz you're proposing in the picture, I'd do a chop top to reduce the frontal area.

RobertSmalls -

I didn't rotate the image because I pulled it "as is" from tirerack.com, and it's only a 0.2 degree difference anyway. They use that picture as a base for imaging fan$y wheels on the car. Even when I use the "Print Page (PDF)" option, it's just a PDF of the same image. Scaling it up doesn't really buy me much. However, maybe this is a good excuse to do a picture of my real car from far away (to reduce the distortion from perspective).

CarloSW2

Last edited by cfg83; 03-31-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Old 03-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
ballast

Carlo,before you commit to a design,I would recommend you find 300-pounds (136-kg) of ballast for the front seats of the Saturn,so she'll have the 'rake' she'll have with a typical load.
If you can find a portion of level concrete,a simple bubble level will reveal the actual 'max camber' location on the roof.
Measuring the ground clearance at front and rear bumpers will help you adjust your drawing.
That should be confusing enough,right?
I apologize in advance for an up-coming thread that addresses the Ford Probe IV roof-line architecture.
That car achieves Cd 0.15 with very little aft-body,although it is really 'raked',the max camber point is waaaaaaaaaaaaay back on the roof,and roof-to-boot angle never exceeds 17-degrees in the low-drag configuration.
You might be able to cheat on your angles/curvature a little.I hope to know in a little more time.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
aerohead -

Thanks for the feedback. I never thought to put the weight when taking the picture. On average, I probably have me + 40 lbs O' Crap, so that makes about 200 lbs. The bubble level is soooo simple that it makes the process a lot easier.

CarloSW2

Reply  Post New Thread