EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   My power steering pump broke. Time to delete? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/my-power-steering-pump-broke-time-delete-37969.html)

Xist 11-10-2019 02:01 AM

My power steering pump broke. Time to delete?

1 Attachment(s)
Both of my belts keep squealing. I adjust them as necessary and a while later they start up again. I replaced both with Honda parts when I replaced my timing belt last year.

When I replaced the starter I tightened the power steering belt. It didn't squeal the next time that I started the car, but it has squealed every time since.

Tonight I went to tighten it again. Unlike the alternator, you don't loosen the mounting bolt and then adjust a bolt. It has this square hole. You put a 1/2" breaker bar in there and pull up on it until it has the proper tension.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1573365341

I put a little more force and the top half of the square hole broke off. I sure wish that I knew where that piece of aluminum went!

Most of the power steering pump replacement guides do not say how to tighten the belt. One said to use a pry bar, but did not give any details. At least one said to adjust the bolts that I do not have.

I do not have a pry bar, but I have a crowbar. However, putting it under the pump, across the body, and sitting on the other end (pointed down), it barely tightens anything. Putting the other end behind the pump and prying on it does not do much, either. I can loosen it, but then I cannot get it as tight as it was before.

However, the belt slips right off! :)

The squeal is gone! :D

The belt does not go to anything else. Right now there is slightly less load on the engine, but it would be harder to steer than if I did a NoD-style delete.

I do not remember what that means, but without the belt, the pump, hoses, and bracket are dead weight.

I have always wished the Accord got better fuel economy, but I think people thought a power steering delete would accomplish a 0.5 MPG improvement. Yay? :) I was not eager to drive my Accord without power steering, but right now I do not have a choice. AutoZone has a new one for $133, but it would not get here for five or six days, so I doubt they have one in the entire state.
O'Reilly has one for $122, but they only price-match local stores, which I don't want them to do! :)

RockAuto has a Lares pump for $86.79, plus $8.99 shipping. Hopefully I could have AutoZone order it and price match for $95.78, but it still does not seem like a good idea.

redpoint5 11-10-2019 06:46 AM

I'm not reading the thread. Time to get a new (used) car... unless you like working on them as a way to procrastinate on important things.

It's costing you time and money when you have to rent a car, and potentially work.

Stubby79 11-10-2019 10:26 AM

I don't think the car is at fault.

oil pan 4 11-10-2019 10:42 AM

With the power steering system full of oil it's more difficult to turn.

iikhod 11-10-2019 12:16 PM

Are there inspections/mot type of things where you live?
In here, if your car is equipped with power steering, it has to work or you don't pass inspection.

How about getting a replacement pump from a junk yard?

Xist 11-10-2019 01:29 PM

I have never had my vehicle inspected by the MVD. LKQ has several pumps for around $50 shipped. Recyclers in the Phoenix area have them starting at $25, but am I supposed to drive 181 miles through mountains and canyons without power steering?

Xist 11-10-2019 01:58 PM

There are eight used ones on eBay for $30 shipped. Offer $25?

One place has three dozen for $41.25. It says they are tested and have a six-month warranty.

My plan was to remove it and take it to a welder, but I am sure that would cost more than $25, and I have not found the missing piece.

Frank Lee 11-10-2019 06:39 PM

I've had several power steering deletes over the years, V8 cars included, the latest being the Sport Coupe. Yes, IMHO driving through the mountains w/o power steering is no big deal. The lack of power assist is mainly noticeable from stops, while parking. Once moving the effort required is minimal. That said, I don't know how much fe credit to assign to it, although it isn't nothing. On the 'Coupe I didn't even delete or loop the lines; just pulled the belt off and let 'er go.

Xist 11-10-2019 08:31 PM

I drove to see a friend today, took a corner at 45 MPH, and it was more effort than I felt it should have been, but that is what I get for having a pump, all of those hoses, and all of that fluid. I do not think the hardware for a proper delete costs that much, but since there would be a negligible improvement, a $25 replacement is looking pretty good.

redpoint5 11-10-2019 11:46 PM

Last thing I did on my wife's Pontiac was replace the power steering pump so I could sell the darn thing. I think I got $900 for the Grand Prix. The trunk wouldn't open and I didn't investigate why. There was something important looking broken in the suspension too, but I don't recall what it was, and it drove ok with it broken.

What is the list of things you've done to repair this car Xist?

I took a Subaru Legacy from 119,000 miles to 220,000 miles with a couple tire changes, plugs, maybe wires, and wiper blades. Got a P0420 code but there's no smog check so I ignored it. It used a quart of oil every 3,000 miles, but Jiffy Lube would top it up between changes.

My 2006 TSX is at 120,000 miles with no issues.

Big Yeller has a shorter list of things that work than things that don't. Drove it tonight to help a friend finish moving out of an apartment and was annoyed with the headliner touching my head the whole time. The grid heater cycles on and off because the speedo doesn't work (which means cruise and odometer is broken too). Dad recently replaced the wiper motor, but it's still not right (slow). The windshield seal is bad, and pops open when you close the doors. You've got to give 1/8th turn corrections constantly to the steering wheel to drive straight. AC died long ago. There's a squealing bearing or belt...