EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Mythbusters "tests" efficiency of dimples vs. smooth, and clean vs. muddy car (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mythbusters-tests-efficiency-dimples-vs-smooth-clean-vs-10658.html)

MetroMPG 10-18-2009 09:42 AM

Mythbusters "tests" efficiency of dimples vs. smooth, and clean vs. muddy car

Admin note: 2 threads were started on this topic. The other one is here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...les-10718.html

---

I don't watch the show regularly, but this one might be worth tuning in for the entertainment factor.

Quote:

Discovery Channel :: TV Listings :: MythBusters

Oct 21, 9:00 pm

Adam and Jamie get down and dirty with the myth that a muddy motorcar gets better gas mileage than it's clean cousin.
Also.. don't they have it backward? Isn't the common myth that the clean car gets better mileage?

Piwoslaw 10-18-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 134436)
Also.. don't they have it backward? Isn't the common myth that the clean car gets better mileage?

Hmm, I can imagine having enough mud buildup in the wheelwells to reduce the distance between them and the wheels. Or mud sticking to the rear of the car, drying and hardening, layer on layer, in the shape of a Kammback extension. But by the time either of these would have a noticeable aero effect, the weight penalty would start to be a pain.

igo 10-18-2009 01:53 PM

I will be watching it. I love mythbusters even tho they seem to be obsesed with explosions.

zjrog 10-18-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igo (Post 134482)
I will be watching it. I love mythbusters even tho they seem to be obsesed with explosions.

I love Mythbusters BECAUSE they seem to be obsesed with explosions... hehehee

orange4boy 10-18-2009 03:04 PM

I think the muddy/clean thing is like the golfball dimple theory. Sometimes rough is better than smooth. I'm actually looking forward to this one...

If it works you could cover your car with rocker guard or ceiling texture and paint over it. Might look kind of cool.

MadisonMPG 10-18-2009 04:04 PM

They are supposed to be "dimpling" a car, I think.

orange4boy 10-18-2009 04:32 PM

I could just see them firing golf balls at a car to get the dimples.

dwtaylorpdx 10-18-2009 04:35 PM

SOunds like a hail storm car to me! :)

Dave

RobertSmalls 10-18-2009 08:46 PM

I'm sure it'll be entertaining and worth watching.

I predict their conclusion will be "we can not detect a fuel economy difference between these two cars".

It would take a pretty extreme setup to do aerodynamic testing sensitive enough to detect mud. A wind tunnel would do it, but they wouldn't take a car to a wind tunnel for a simple myth like this. Short of that, you'd need high speed bidirectional coastdown testing on a totally windless day. Even if you accounted for airspeed, small crosswinds would skew your results beyond utility.

As to the effects of mud: It tends to increase the car's frontal area, obviously. Cakes of mud on streamlined surfaces will increase your Cd, while cakes of mud in your eddies will tend to decrease your Cd. A muddy truck with its panel gaps and hood cowl filled with mud will probably get better gas mileage, but unless your aeromodded Metro gets a teardrop-shaped tail made of mud, it's likely to get slightly worse gas mileage when muddy.

Christ 10-18-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 134436)
I don't watch the show regularly, but this one might be worth tuning in for the entertainment factor.

New myth - it stems from the golf ball conundrum.

I can't imagine what type of thoughtless people frequent the MB forums to come up with/perpetuate this ****.