EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   NASCAR "Advanced Fuel Economy Dodge"; NASCAR Prius model coming soon! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/nascar-advanced-fuel-economy-dodge-nascar-prius-model-9147.html)

MetroMPG 07-08-2009 08:20 AM

NASCAR "Advanced Fuel Economy Dodge"; NASCAR Prius model coming soon!

(OK, the Prius part is a joke.)

ExxonMobil Unveils No. 77 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Dodge | Catchfence

Cognitive dissonance alert! An ... odd ... marketing combination: a 4 MPG (US) race car trying to sell fuel economy.

I went to the article expecting to read about some technical advances in the Dodge itself. But it's really about branding, not actual fuel economy. The Dodge is sponsored by Mobil, which is trying to sell people on the idea of going with lighter weight, synthetic oil to save fuel.

It gets weirder:

Quote:

Before this unique version of the No. 77 car takes to the track, the weekend will kick off with The Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy NASCAR Challenge, a special event to entertain Chicago sports fans and provide them with tips on saving fuel.

The Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy NASCAR Challenge will take place on July 10 at Soldier Field in downtown Chicago. Penske NASCAR stars Sam Hornish Jr., Kurt Busch, and David Stremme – along with media celebrities such as Dan Patrick and Chicago Bear Hall of Famer Dan Hampton – will drive fuel-efficient Mobil 1-branded Smart cars on a miniature road course.
Bizarre.

Shawn D. 07-08-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 114395)
... lighter weight, synthetic oil...

Viscosity, not "weight." No matter how commonly-used the misnomer "weight" is when discussing oil, that is not a real oil-rating term.

robchalmers 07-08-2009 10:05 AM

wow $400 over the 40+year life span of a car - sign me up.... oh does that take into account the cost of the Mobil 1 blah blah over a decent regular 0w40 oil??

Shawn D. 07-08-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robchalmers (Post 114412)
... the cost of the Mobil 1 blah blah over a decent regular 0w40 oil??

There aren't any "0W" non-synthetics.

99LeCouch 07-08-2009 05:47 PM

M1 is okay syn oil.

Darn, I'd love to see a hybrid NASCAR! They'd have to beef up the battery packs so they didn't get mangled in the inevitable crash.

MetroMPG 07-12-2009 02:49 PM

I don't think racing on circular tracks would make for a successful hybrid application: they make more sense where you could capture braking energy via some form of regen. Not too much braking in NASCAR, I don't think.

zjrog 07-12-2009 07:56 PM

Whole lot more braking than you think...

MetroMPG 07-14-2009 07:38 AM

I didn't know that.

dcb 07-14-2009 08:12 AM

Not much braking going on at daytona or talladega, except maybe at a caution.

MazdaMatt 07-14-2009 01:35 PM

Any big track racing is pure full throttle top gear, tilt the wheel a little, straighten it back up, tilt the wheel a little... zzzzz.... I can actually stand to watch the short track racing where they actually have to use brakes and sometimes even *gasp* shift gears.

The racing of smart cars to say something about fuel economy is funny... I guess they're proving that you can even get crappy fuel economy out of a little car if you thrash on it hard enough. I'd be interested to find out what kind of numbers they get, though. Probably still beats a hummer cruising at 45.