EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Need help running rich! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/need-help-running-rich-9207.html)

Curly1 07-13-2009 08:45 PM

Need help running rich!

I have a 2008 HHR Chevy with the 2.2. Original it was 21/30 MPG. I added larger tires, larger exhaust, better intake and filter and did a Trifecta tune on it. Moved the mileage up to 26/38 and it ran better to. Most of the mods were done 10,000 to 15,000 miles. Now at 30,000 miles the car is running real rich and mileage is back down to 21/30???
Did a Data log on it and it said the O2 sensor was reading lean causing ECM to richen it up. Tail pipe is black and sooty.
With the Trifecta tune I really do not want to take it back to dealer unless I have to but I want it fixed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to lean it back out?
Thanks in advance, Bruce

NiHaoMike 07-13-2009 10:13 PM

Replace the sensor.

LUVMY02CREW 07-13-2009 11:30 PM

Definately sounds like the O2 sensor needs replacing. Did a Service Engine Soon light come on?

You can try to swap it with the post cat sensor to see if things improve until you can get a new one. Hopefully the new data log will show the same one not reading accurately.

FWIW, my 4.3L was acting like you are describing and once I swapped position of the sensors, the truck started running right again. The SES light was still on, but the code followed the bad sensor. Now I just gotta break down a get another one...

Curly1 07-14-2009 07:00 AM

No service light has come on. There are 2 sensors one before the cat and one after. I do think they are different. I guess it would be the first one that is bad?

99LeCouch 07-14-2009 08:50 AM

Probably. Replace it and see if it gets better.

shovel 07-15-2009 11:15 AM

The O2 sensor after the cat is not used for fuel trim, its sole purpose in life is to make you fail a smog check when your cat is busted.

If your vehicle is consistently reading lean, look into clogged fuel filter FIRST. If you have never replaced yours, and your vehicle has more than 15k miles or so, replace it. Your fuel pump will thank you, as will your performance and mileage.

AFTER replacing your fuel filter, if you still have enrichment trim that is consistently more than +3, rent a fuel pressure gauge with purge valve from your local Vato Zone or Checker etc. (it's like $70 but you get 100% of your money back when you bring back the rental) and make sure fuel pressure at the rail is within spec for your vehicle. If it is within spec, also check flow by pressing the purge valve while idling. The engine should not die easily, if it does you may still have a flow problem with your fuel pump.

Does the vehicle tend to "run out of energy" on hard acceleration above a certain RPM? Like for example does it accelerate strongly when floored, up to 2500 rpm and then kinda not get any more powerful as rpm's increase?

FWIW - gasoline burns most completely at a 14.7:1 ratio at sea level, but releases the most btu's per pound at about 12:1 - so under the RIGHT circumstances, running slightly rich can actually increase your mpg.

bgd73 07-15-2009 07:31 PM

oh no. attempting lean on an inline AND demanding more torque..this could go all the way to bad cylinder walls.
try fuel cleaner, expensive fuel and a few redlines while torquing. The o2 sensor myth about not doing anyhting is an old hoax, they really function today. if it does not go away, you could doubt reaidng and manually check with ohm meters the other stuff beyond o2 sensor.

Clev 07-15-2009 08:29 PM

You might talk to Trifecta. Their website says you can send them the data from their scanner and they'll verify that the tune isn't the problem.

MadisonMPG 07-15-2009 10:39 PM

You added bigger tires, and got 8mpg improvement?

DifferentPointofView 07-16-2009 12:15 PM

I wish I was running rich :(

Oh wait, we\'re talking about engines here :D

I\'d replace the sensor. also do whatever maintenance needs to be done at 30k