EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   needing a new mpg monster! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/needing-new-mpg-monster-12423.html)

pumafeet10 02-25-2010 07:01 PM

needing a new mpg monster!

I recently had my 2000 Honda Civic stolen, was getting between 55 and 65 mpg, and want to get something that will do even better.

I have been thinking mostly about a gen I insight 5spd, but i keep thinking there might be something that I'm not thinking about.

I don't have a lot of money to spend, less the 8k

I would like something 2000 or newer, must be manual trans, I would love a car made in USA the most but there are none that would meet my requirements, at least i can not think of any.

Not sure if this is in the right place, but thought i would get the most traffic here!

Thanks for the help

David

ex-x-fire 02-25-2010 07:20 PM

The only USA car I can think of that gets great mpg & isn't a hybrid, is the Saturn SC w/ a 5spd.

RobertSmalls 02-25-2010 07:53 PM

The Insight is a brilliant car, and if you love tinkering, you will love the Insight. There are so many little things that Honda did unconventionally (lean burn, Al construction, hybrid, two seats, truncated teardrop shape, attention to fine aerodynamic details) in the interest of fuel economy. Where can you get a niftier car than that?

Plus, it is the undisputed (right?) mileage champ. I wouldn't trade mine for anything else on the market right now.

mazdamx640 02-25-2010 08:01 PM

what about a cobalt or a cavalier?

rmay635703 02-25-2010 08:40 PM

with the right driving style a Cobalt can achieve a little north of 50mpg and its not a hybred, just have to drive slow.

pumafeet10 02-25-2010 09:16 PM

well price wise, i think something a little older then a cobalt would work.

The insight as Mr. Smalls mentioned is what i really want, as you mentioned is what i love about the car, but am worried about reliability with the hybrid power train

I know its a honda so i would think i should be safe, but the batteries do have me a bit concerned. I know there are aftermarket companies that do service the batteries but im not sure what to do.

I have thought about something in the 92-95 civic range BUT i just love the way everything is setup in the Insight.

I know this isn't in the spirit of hypermiling, but was thinking about putting a k-series in the car later because it is such a perfect light weight platform

rmay635703 02-25-2010 09:39 PM

If the hybred drivetrain stops your car still works and gets OK MPG, no worries

RobertSmalls 02-25-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumafeet10 (Post 163007)
The insight as Mr. Smalls mentioned is what i really want, as you mentioned is what i love about the car, but am worried about reliability with the hybrid power train

I know its a honda so i would think i should be safe, but the batteries do have me a bit concerned. I know there are aftermarket companies that do service the batteries but im not sure what to do.

Don't worry about the IMA system. Yes, the batteries do not outlast the car, and a refurbished unit from Hybrid-Battery-Repair.com costs $1000ish. But you have DIY refurbishing options, too. Disassembling, cycling, and rebalancing an IMA pack requires about $150 in equipment, and should be easy for anyone considering an engine swap.

MetroMPG 02-25-2010 10:18 PM

The 1st gen. Insight is the king. I mean monster.

RobertSmalls 02-25-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 163024)
The 1st gen. Insight is the king. I mean monster.

Darin, look at your fuel log, then look at mine. :p