EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New commuter (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-commuter-35485.html)

gtOmologato 08-12-2017 09:18 PM

New commuter

Hey everybody,

Longtime lurker, first time caller...but I made it here :turtle:
I recently traded in my company vehicle (and gas card) for a new position within my company. I am now driving about 600 miles per week. I have been getting 22.3-23.5mpg out of my pickup truck (epa rated 14/19), but I wanted to save a little more money than that so I picked up a '97 civic auto (i know, I know, I wanted a 5-speed too, but my wife can't drive one...and that's all I'm going to say about that).
My commute is close to 60 miles each way mostly flat, 2 lane state roads, 8 stop signs and 4 stop lights. And I drive about 5 miles round trip on lunch to go to the gym (no showers at work or I would just bicycle). 25ish miles of my drive is at ~60mph, the rest of the drive offers me a little more flexibility in speed and driving style, so I will get to work on that a bit.

I'm looking forward to getting a little more involved with everybody here on ecomodder.

Regards,

gtOmologato

puddleglum 08-13-2017 01:14 AM

Welcome to the forum. Lots to learn here. With your long commute, your savings over driving the truck should pay off the car fairly quick.

JockoT 08-13-2017 05:36 AM

Welcome from another Honda owner!

gtOmologato 08-13-2017 08:36 AM

Thanks puddleglum, I hope to have the car pay for itself...and keep miles off of my truck!

Thanks JockoT, This is my first Honda. So far, I am liking it pretty good. I wanted an 8th gen with a 5 speed, but I couldn't turn down the initial investment on this one, maybe my next Civic :rolleyes:. Hopefully I can keep my number up even with the auto trans, I'm going to give it a try!

JockoT 08-13-2017 09:48 AM

It's my first Honda too (had Honda bikes), and I am loving it.

ECO-AKJ 08-13-2017 10:50 AM

Welcome

ThermionicScott 08-13-2017 07:05 PM

Welcome to the forums, @gtOmologato. :thumbup:

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-13-2017 10:34 PM

What truck do you have?

gtOmologato 08-19-2017 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry cRiPpLe, I missed you post, still working on getting all of my notifications figured out.

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado, 2wd, 4.3, AT with rubber floors and crank windows.
The tune by blackbear performance really helped with the fuel mileage, mostly trans tuning. The TC used to lock up at 46mph min, now it will lock up at 34mph with no lugging :turtle:

Here is a pic of it halfway between summer and winter tires.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-20-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtOmologato (Post 547832)
I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado, 2wd, 4.3, AT with rubber floors and crank windows.

The GMT800 was never officially available in my country, and most of the private imports that I have seen were Suburbans. The only GMT800 Silverado that I have ever seen was a 2500 crew-cab with the Duramax, registered in Uruguay where it had been available officially for a while.

Quote:

The tune by blackbear performance really helped with the fuel mileage, mostly trans tuning. The TC used to lock up at 46mph min, now it will lock up at 34mph with no lugging :turtle:
What about the engine? Have you considered any mod to it? Since it's basically 3/4 of a 350 small-block Chevy, might not be so hard to get it modded to improve low-end torque in order to allow you to keep it at lower RPM and match it with a higher differential ratio.