EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New to ECO modding (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-eco-modding-31977.html)

2009Toyotoad 05-17-2015 06:50 PM

New to ECO modding

Hello, car bio in as few words as possible. My driving history is 34 years with a few notables. First an 87, Pontiac Fiero 4cyl Automatic which nobody thought was fuel efficient until they drove one course country. Those who owned one,e know what I mean.
Next was a 1992 Civic CX. Yes same year as the debut of the legendary Honda Civic VX. But I was young and poor, so 2 valves per cylinder was enough and 42 MPG average was great back then. 186,000 miles later , I needed a bigger car an got out of the small car scene. Then gas jumped to $4.00 per gallon, and I went back to a 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback.
I was challenged to find the one I wanted in my area.
Toyota dealers didn't sell the model with the options I wanted with 5 speed and factory cruise control in my part of California. After some web search work I found one in Carson City, NV.
Yes, I'm one of the few savvy/crazy enough to navigate the murky waters of California DMV rules for registering a new vehicle purchased out of state.

Anyway, "Huevos" as I call her, now has 107k miles on the OD, so about two year ago I started collecting parts to build a new powertrain.
At the time, the thought was a performance force induction street machine. Yet after an 2,000 mile road trip to the Midwest last fall. I had my first thoughts going in a different direction for the engine build.

3 months ago the idea of a forced-induction build fell on its face, as suppliers started to fall out of the market for the Toyota Yaris altogether. Gone were the Zage turbo kits, followed by the Blitz supercharger kits. Actually both have their fair share of issues, with poor oiling systems for the Zage kit, and poor replacement part chains/supplies for Blitz SC. So dropping the idea was a better plan anyway/

Currently, Huevos is averaging consistent 40+mpg on the power train but the goal is to crack the 55+ MPG range.

Hypermiling is not an option out in my neck of the woods. Many have tried and found themselves run off the road, or being followed by flashing lights.

The transmission build has a couple of options, (Toyota C50) stick with the current fifth gear ratio, or move to the slightly taller ratio of the 1990 Corolla.(part numbers33428-12060 or 33428-12100 and 33036-20060 or 33036-12120). I'm still researching possible issues as this is my daily driver so it needs to be dependable. Either way I'm be adding the Kaaz LSD 1.5 to the build.

For the engine build all internals will now be OEM Toyota. I bought a clean 28K miles block and crank, which luckily are original factory builds to each other (sibling from a Scion Xb I believe) The local machine shop gave those parts and the new Toyota rods, pistons, and rings two thumbs up. Fortunately no decking needed and the clearances are at factory specs.

The cylinder head was an Ebay re-man unit. which I may pay to have tested at the same. It looks good in the box, but you never know until its on the bench. I may step up for high performance valve springs. Still pondering that idea.

Next week I'll pick up a Harbor Freight engine stand if I can find that 20% off coupon, and decide on having that cylinder head tested.

By the time I'm done. I hopefully have a complete, ready to roll-in powertrain unit. Installation should be pull the hoses, ECU and battery connections, drop the engine mounts, drive half shafts at the transmission and header bolts at the cat. Roll the old powertrain out and roll the new one in and reverse the process. 4 hours or less expensive shop time door to door, I hope.

Fortunately, there are still a few honest shops in my area who don't hide behind the rate box. Because I'm getting to old to crawl under cars on jack stands.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-17-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad (Post 479718)
I was young and poor, so 2 valves per cylinder was enough and 42 MPG was great back then

Actually some engines with 2 valves per cylinder are not so bad at all, since they're usually favored regarding low-end torque.

Quote:

Anyway, "Huevos" as I call her, now has 107k miles on the OD, so about two year ago I started collecting parts to build a new powertrain.
At the time, the thought was a performance force induction street machine.
Forced induction may eventually be useful in an efficiency-oriented project.

2009Toyotoad 05-17-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 479741)
Forced induction may eventually be useful in an efficiency-oriented project.

True. I note that the Chevy Cruze ECO has that setup, but the small number of people I know which have it, have had engine issues.

As I recall there. are several turbo VWs which have dual oil pumps in the system, which my be what has plaugue my Chevy Cruze eco friends.

bentring 05-17-2015 09:21 PM

From what I've read, you must be fairly close to crazy to buy and register an out of state car in CA. ;) Threads like these make me wish I had spent more time in a shop so I could give useful input, but I am good at finding things online so here's the 20% off coupon you mentioned. You should be able to click the picture of the coupon and it will pop up a printable one.

user removed 05-17-2015 09:45 PM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...too-30247.html

See if you can do this.

regards
mech

mcrews 05-17-2015 10:34 PM

dint forget to air up your tires 40+ psi
And welcome!

BabyDiesel 05-18-2015 01:56 AM

Welcome!

I am not familiar with Toyota engine by any means, but can Prius pistons be used in your 1.5? I believe I read they give a higher compression ratio and more efficiency. I know Echofrancis is putting them in the Echo-Troll.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-18-2015 04:29 AM

IIRC the main difference in the Prius engine is the head, not just due to the combustion chamber design but also due to the valve timing, which ends up decreasing the dynamic compression ratio.

MetroMPG 05-18-2015 09:02 AM

Welcome, 2009Toyotoad!

This sounds interesting. Looking forward to more.

Daox 05-18-2015 09:47 AM

Welcome to the site. Its good to see someone giving some attention to the Yaris, its a nice car.

I would like to ask what is the reason for 'performance' valve springs? From an ecomodding perspective, stiffer valve springs will only increase drive train losses. If you're not increasing your rev limit, I'm not seeing the point to it.