EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   New Free EBook: Scratchbuilt Hotrod (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-free-ebook-scratchbuilt-hotrod-18223.html)

cleanspeed1 07-20-2011 09:12 AM

New Free EBook: Scratchbuilt Hotrod

Seeing as how a lot of what we do overlaps into other forms of high performance, I thought this would help in the quest for perfection.

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Cover - The Scratch-Built Hot Rod

JethroBodine 07-24-2011 12:02 PM

Very thorough and well planned out. This has a lot of good info on build techniques and procedures. Chapter 3 having a section that goes to one word per line is a bit distracting. For someone who already has most of the skills described, this would be a very good guide to making a complete build. For someone who doesn't, it would be a good guide as to what skills to learn.

All in all, nice read.

cleanspeed1 07-24-2011 12:12 PM

With all the ideas we have floating around at a given time, plus the fact that we need to economize as much as possible, we have to do more ourselves.

Maybe an opensource eco rod?

Full on aero body on a cheap chassis?

Maybe call it the UNICORN SPECIAL to prove out the so-called economy devices.

That would be funny!

Ryland 07-24-2011 10:30 PM

My thought after reading the bit on choosing a donor vehicle is Toyota Pickup trucks... you get drive train quality and light weight with a body that rusts out in the mid west, of course I have a friend who has one that isn't rusty but has a blown engine due to a botched timing belt job that we were talking about converting to an electric street rod.
Books like that are great inspiration.

cboy 07-27-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JethroBodine (Post 251923)
... Chapter 3 having a section that goes to one word per line is a bit distracting.

Jethro,

Could you let me know what browser you are using and your screen size and resolution? We pre-tested the e-book on a wide variety of platforms to eliminate any problems such as the one you encountered here. Any info you could provide would be helpful so that we can make adjustments for all-around good viewing of the book.

BTW, I am the author of this e-book and have been a member of Eco-Modder for some time although as a "lurker" rather than an active participant in the forums. You have some very innovative and creative builders here.

cleanspeed1 07-27-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cboy (Post 252508)
Jethro,

Could you let me know what browser you are using and your screen size and resolution? We pre-tested the e-book on a wide variety of platforms to eliminate any problems such as the one you encountered here. Any info you could provide would be helpful so that we can make adjustments for all-around good viewing of the book.

BTW, I am the author of this e-book and have been a member of Eco-Modder for some time although as a "lurker" rather than an active participant in the forums. You have some very innovative and creative builders here.

I participate at hotrodders.com and when I saw this, I thought it was pure genius. We need more things like this.

Where the heck have you been cboy?;)

Thanks again for your hard work. I know it will help a lot of people here.

The smartpot runneth over on ecomodder.com

cboy 07-27-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleanspeed1 (Post 252516)
...Where the heck have you been cboy?

Like I say, I "lurk" here and steal all the great ideas and innovations you guys come up with.:) And thanks for providing the original post and link here on ecomodder. The book has already had 54 visits from ecomodder readers resulting from your link and each visitor looks at an average of 9 (chapters) in the book. So you have certainly created some interest.

I've had a long-time goal of building an eco-hot-rod probably utilizing a space frame (Locost style) with a very light body and either an electric motor or tiny 4-banger. I'd just do it with a 20's/30's body style rather than something more modern. And I've found MANY great threads and posts right here to help guide my thinking.

Also, if any other members take a look at the book and have problems with the text and/or layout, you might try temporarily changing your screen resolution. The higher resolutions seem to work better than lower ones (like 800x600 can create some real problems). And don't hesitate to let me know about problems. One of the joys of publishing via an e-book as opposed to print is that we can go back into the book and makes changes/edits as we discover problems. In fact, at the end of every chapter in the book is a link at the bottom the page to report any problems or to ask any questions or make any comments you might have.

cleanspeed1 07-27-2011 12:14 PM

Glad I could help. We're all in this together. I need to put something together for my family that gets way better mpg than what I have right now, and room enough to carry tools, equipment and other things.

Ford Man 07-29-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cboy (Post 252528)
Like I say, I "lurk" here and steal all the great ideas and innovations you guys come up with.:) And thanks for providing the original post and link here on ecomodder.

I've had a long-time goal of building an eco-hot-rod probably utilizing a space frame (Locost style) with a very light body and either an electric motor or tiny 4-banger. I'd just do it with a 20's/30's body style rather than something more modern. And I've found MANY great threads and posts right here to help guide my thinking.

How about a build strictly for FE utilizing aero mods (belly pan, boat tail etc), economic 4 cyl. gas engine with tall gearing so we can see just what the car manufactures could produce if they set their mind to it.

cleanspeed1 07-29-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 253094)
How about a build strictly for FE utilizing aero mods (belly pan, boat tail etc), economic 4 cyl. gas engine with tall gearing so we can see just what the car manufactures could produce if they set their mind to it.

Sounds like basjoos' AeroCivic. But I digress.

I know we can do better than what has been given us.