EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   New Game (Pass the Guzzler) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-game-pass-guzzler-25325.html)

GeekForLife 03-22-2013 01:06 PM

New Game (Pass the Guzzler)

I have often played a game while driving of timing traffic lights.
If you can memorize the timing you can adjust your speed to make every light when its green (I am sure a lot of us do this)

This morning while driving my normal route and going 5mph under posted a Chevrolet Avalanche behind me got a bit perturbed changed lanes and speed ahead :snail:

At the first light he had to break to a full stop as I did not and went right through the light seconds after it turned green.:D

Unhindered by his gas mileage he speed on past me again just to replay the same scenario at the second light.

By the time we got to the third light I could see he was watching me and seemed a bit upset. as he took off to the fourth light you could tell he was bound and determined to leave me in his dust.

As I cruised on up to the 4th light I reduced my speed another 5mph so that I could again cruise through the light, however as I approached the intersection the Avalanche peeled out and took off across the intersection while the light was still red. :eek:

I however entered after the light had turned green.:thumbup:

I did however have to slow down a bit as the State Trooper peeled out of the Whataburger to pull over the Avalanche.:p

All in all I would say today has been a good day.;)

Frank Lee 03-22-2013 05:44 PM

Ha Ha, "Happy Ending"!!! :eek:

I played that game with some moron for MILES- WOW was he ever getting P.O.d- finally at about the 12th light he made it through and I didn't... but I was still laughing.

Played a slight variation of that game yesterday too; out on the open road but approaching town, of course not going fast enough for "the convoy" behind me, they finally got past me when the opportunities arose by flooring it... only to have me pass 'em up as they waited at the first light at the edge of town! Heh Heh. So much for "beating me" and "winning".

I've also had my doors blown off a few times in the country, only to pass them miles later as they were discussing it with the Highway Patrol. :)

RedDevil 03-22-2013 07:02 PM

Reminds me of what one of my friends experienced on his way to visit me in Voorburg, where I lived at that time.
Coming form the highway 2 lanes bend off to the right into town right after a set of traffic lights.
The last of 2 cars in the right lane thought the car in front was not giving it enough, so veered into the left lane just when my friend was passing him.
So he blew the horn.
The other driver showed a certain finger and floored the pedal, which my friend interpreted as a sign of 'Come run with me'. And he did, following the other car languishly. It is quite hard to outrun an Impreza WRX STI with additional power mods.
Quickly the speed went way beyond double the limit. They passed a zebra rossing with green lights and camera's, for which my friend did brake back to legal speed but the car in front went through them still accelerating. Sure enough, the double flash of the speed cam made him aware of the situation too.
At the next set of lights both cars were side to side so the drivers could exchange views. A sight my friend will not ever forget :)

GeekForLife 03-24-2013 08:06 AM

I know in downtown Houston with all its one way streets the magic speed is 27mph.
To slow for most but much faster then stopping at all the lights. You need to stay in the middle lanes to avoid all the people turning on and off the road.
Unfortunately this only works during rush hour if you are traveling the direction of heaviest traffic.

ksa8907 03-24-2013 09:13 AM

ive done that a few times, but usually by the 2nd or 3rd time they go to pass, the inner gearhead in me mashes the gas and its on!

Arragonis 03-24-2013 04:45 PM

I used to be a TLGP driver and always wanted to be first

But - the main thing I like about being an ecomodder type driver is just forgetting about trying to race anyone or being ahead - I'm competing against the numbers and not them.

In fact if anything I like to get people like this to pass so I can see what they are doing.

That tapped just the discipline of looking ahead and checking lights means that quite often you are the "fastest" in the queue without really wanting to be ;)