EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   New Generator Wind Turbine Efficiency 50%+ (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-generator-wind-turbine-efficiency-50-a-6050.html)

Funny 11-18-2008 11:17 PM

New Generator Wind Turbine Efficiency 50%+

"A startup company based in Vancouver has developed a new kind of generator that could harvest much more energy from the wind. The design could not only lower the cost of wind turbines but increase their power output by 50 percent to as much as 100 percent, in some locations. Normally, when wind speeds drop, a turbine's engine becomes less efficient. The new engine, from ExRo Technologies, runs efficiently over a wider range of conditions. The design replaces a mechanical transmission with what amounts to an electronic one. Magnets attached to a rotating shaft create a current, but individual coils can be turned on and off electronically at different wind speeds." The company will begin field-testing a small, 5KW wind turbine by early next year.

Found on this website: Slashdot | New Generator Boosts Wind Turbine Efficiency 50%

Thank you Slashdot!!! News for Nerds!

This type of breakthrough is so crucial in these times of needed alternative energies. I hope these generators make their way into other facets of electrical usage, automobiles anyone?

cfg83 11-19-2008 12:15 AM

Funny -

Cool Beans! I'm gonna keep an eye on this.

CarloSW2

NeilBlanchard 11-19-2008 06:02 AM

Hi,

This is good news. Here's direct links:

Technology Review: Better Wind Turbines

Exro

Frank Lee 11-19-2008 07:01 AM

Looks good for wind power, but I don't see the potential advantage for autos. :confused:

Daox 11-19-2008 07:07 AM

Nice idea. Sounds a bit cheaper than transmissions and fancy blade setups.

99metro 11-19-2008 09:38 AM

I guess of you were going beltless for your alternator, you could hoist this above your car and generate power to charge your battery(s) while you were parked... hmmm :rolleyes:

bikin' Ed 11-19-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 73205)
Looks good for wind power, but I don't see the potential advantage for autos. :confused:

How about for recharging electric car batteries.:thumbup:

MetroMPG 11-19-2008 10:30 AM

Yes! We're 50% closer to an EV that can recharge itself on the highway!!

CobraBall 11-19-2008 11:32 AM

If reading the patent for this "polyphasie multi-coil generator" is your thang, go to
Polyphasic multi-coil generator - Google Patents

U.S. Patent # 7081696 :turtle:

bennelson 11-19-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 73249)
Yes! We're 50% closer to an EV that can recharge itself on the highway!!

Yep, here's the latest ingnorant comment about my electric car.

"i don't know w whole lot about wind power but what if you used a vertical wind turbine laid on it's side on the roof, kinda like a spoiler. A 30 mile an hour wind might be enough to keep the batteries charged depending on the generator and such."

Hmm - people like to try to beat the laws of thermo-dynamics.

Seriously, put up a wind turbine near your garage. Use it to charge your electric car batteries.

Try making GASOLINE from the wind!