EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New Here: Which car should I keep? 1995 Civic VX or 1997 Saturn SL (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-here-car-should-i-keep-1995-civic-23616.html)

panamacolin 10-08-2012 10:14 PM

New Here: Which car should I keep? 1995 Civic VX or 1997 Saturn SL

Hello,

I have found myself contemplating which car to keep...

I have owned my VX since 2006 and it has been a great car. I have put 70,000 miles on it in that time frame. It now has 165,000 miles on it. The put a new a/c in it about 1.5 yrs ago, compressor, expansion valve, condensor etc. It has new LRR tires on it with about 10,000 miles on them. It still looks pretty clean, it does need a wax. It is white with blue interior, I have 95 Acura GSR seats in the front, more comfortable. I also added an armrest from a 95 civic sedan. It has a nice CD headunit with USB port on it and aux to play your ipod. It doesnt leak fluids, it doesnt burn oil, it runs really well. The clutch doesnt have much grip left but it was like that when I purchased it in 06 and doesnt seem to have gotten much worse. It is a great car and I love Hondas but, I am thinking the Saturn has 1/3 the miles of the Civic.

Alas, I came across a really nice 1 owner Saturn SL with only 57,000 miles, this car is mint. The original owner babied the car, it slept in the garage. It was waxed 2-3 times a yr and you can tell. The A/C blows super cold, colder than the VX. The entire car is immaculate not a ding or dent on the entire thing. The headliner does sag a bit, I have never seen a Saturn of this vintage that didn't. The interior is super clean and the car does not appear to need anything. I do like that the car is OBD2 so you can use a Scanguage in it and get live MPG readouts while driving and make adjustments based on the readout. The thing that I don't like about it that it is an American car and though I have never owned an American car, I have heard horror stories. The only reason I am even considering this car over my 95 VX is because my girlfriend has a 99 Saturn SL with 145,000 miles and her family has owned it since new. The car has been very reliable and for the money they seem like nice little cars. The one I currently own is white with grey interior and it really is presentable for a 97. The Saturn is much quieter at interstate speed than the VX and has alot more power when you need it. I don't think the mileage is quite as good in the Saturn but I believe it is pretty close.

I have read alot of good things about the Saturn on this site and other fuel saving websites and would like some real world opinons from like minded people on this forum.

Which would you keep?

I am in Florida and both cars are rust free.

Thanks in advance!

2000neon 10-08-2012 10:23 PM

I have only owned my VX for a few days now, but I can't imagine choosing a Saturn over it. As far as MPG instrumentation, you could use an MPGuino in the VX and be able to accurately monitor fuel economy, even in lean burn.

Although, if the quieter ride and the saturn generally appeals to you, that's all up to you. They are great cars as well.

UltArc 10-08-2012 10:43 PM

It seems like the Saturn is the best bet.

I would make a point system, and decide which is more valuable. Is the Civic worth more? Which costs more to repair? Estimated costs to repair?

It will really come down to what suits your wants and needs better, bur the Saturn sounds a bit better.

1carnut 10-08-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000neon (Post 332811)
I have only owned my VX for a few days now, but I can't imagine choosing a Saturn over it. As far as MPG instrumentation, you could use an MPGuino in the VX and be able to accurately monitor fuel economy, even in lean burn.

Although, if the quieter ride and the saturn generally appeals to you, that's all up to you. They are great cars as well.

Glad you are enjoying the VX. It was really nice meeting you and your friend and riding in the Neon! You two are road warriors making the trip down and back in one day.

I would vote for the VX over the Saturn if you are looking for longevity. I had a VX briefly that had over 414k on it, still ran fine and even had the original clutch.

scivicblu83 10-08-2012 10:58 PM

VX all the way.

panamacolin 10-08-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1carnut (Post 332818)
Glad you are enjoying the VX. It was really nice meeting you and your friend and riding in the Neon! You two are road warriors making the trip down and back in one day.

I would vote for the VX over the Saturn if you are looking for longevity. I had a VX briefly that had over 414k on it, still ran fine and even had the original clutch.

Sorry for not remembering, did we meet? Fill me in, my memory must be getting hazy...?

Jakins 10-09-2012 12:09 AM

Yah dude civic vx's rule

2000neon 10-09-2012 07:31 AM

I think that 1carnut meant me. I just met him on friday and bought my VX from him.

1carnut 10-09-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panamacolin (Post 332823)
Sorry for not remembering, did we meet? Fill me in, my memory must be getting hazy...?

No, sorry for the confusion... I sold my VX to 2000neon recently and met him and a friend of his.

Ryland 10-09-2012 10:47 AM

I have the same two cars in my drive way, the VX is mine and the Saturn is my room mates, her saturn looks brand new and has no issues and she really wants a VX because it can haul more stuff and is a nicer car to drive with fewer mechanical issues.
Her Saturn is a 2000, and my VX is a 1993, so the age spread is a little larger, along with the number of miles being a larger spread.
What kills VX's is rust, so if that is not an issue where you live then that car should be working fine with 400,000 miles on it as long as you do basic maintenance and repairs.