EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   New Hybrid Type??? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-hybrid-type-5667.html)

Doofus McFancypants 10-22-2008 01:50 PM

New Hybrid Type???

1 Attachment(s)
Hey -
Was driving into Atlanta when we were passed by a Flat Bed truck carring a UPS truck. ( nothing out of the ordinary there - we see that often)

but there was something on the side the caught my Eye..."Low Emissions Hydraulic Hybrid"

On the back it had written
"Worlds First Hydraulic Hybrid"

Had to snap a shot and send to everyone.

I have not heard of this before - I will have to google it once i get home...

Steve

Daox 10-22-2008 01:59 PM

Yep, I've read about them in a couple of magazines. They use hydraulic pressure as a form of energy storage.

Doofus McFancypants 10-22-2008 02:06 PM

I dug and found more in it.

Looks like it may be THE truck ( the numbers oin the side match the one in this story)

EPA unveils hydraulic hybrid UPS delivery truck - Autoblog

So i guess i met someone Famous?

: )

IndyIan 10-22-2008 02:37 PM

So I assume it uses inflatable or flexible tanks stretch to store the energy? Seems like a good idea I guess. Sort of like the wind up toy cars but uses hydraulics to wind the "spring". Good idea for a purely mechanical system as I guess hydraulic pumps are more efficient than pneumatic pumps?
Ian

cfg83 10-22-2008 03:13 PM

Doofus M -

Catching it live is an eco-coup. Great Job, :thumbup: !

CarloSW2

bennelson 10-22-2008 03:54 PM

There has been some talk lately on the EVDL about electric/hydraulic hybrids.

The main concept is that hydraulics may make more efficient regenerative braking for the system. And as we all know, hydraulics are very powerful, so they would be great for pulling away from dead stops and for use on big trucks.

I hadn't heard about any systems that were actually in production or mainstream yet.

TestDrive 10-22-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyIan (Post 68732)
So I assume it uses inflatable or flexible tanks stretch to store the energy? Seems like a good idea I guess. Sort of like the wind up toy cars but uses hydraulics to wind the "spring". Good idea for a purely mechanical system as I guess hydraulic pumps are more efficient than pneumatic pumps?
Ian

According to this 48 page PDF -
Hydraulic Hybrids : EPA Hybrid Truck Initiative
it uses hydraulic accumulators.

Though the paper doesn't explicitly say, based on the picture on page 15, I'd guess - bladder type, (nitrogen?) gas charge hydraulic accumulators.

Daox 10-22-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TestDrive (Post 68756)
Though the paper doesn't explicitly say, based on the picture on page 15, I'd guess - bladder type, (nitrogen?) gas charge hydraulic accumulators.

Yep, thats what I read. I don't remember what magazine it was in, but it was an engineering design magazine.

pawilkes 10-22-2008 06:52 PM

hybrid design is great for big delivery trucks because they generally are stop and go which is where hybrids have the biggest advantage. hydraulics on these trucks is great because you can rapidly store the power from regenerative breaking, more so than with electricity i would imagine because of the limitations of flow for batteries. another big, although not so obvious, advantage is the reduction of maintainence. since the hydraulics are stopping these trucks, the traditional brakes on these trucks last much longer. once a hydraulic system is set up properly it doesn't require a lot of maintenence either.

i_am_socket 10-23-2008 04:14 PM

Good catch :thumbup: