EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   New LED bulb with resistor (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-led-bulb-resistor-24303.html)

California98Civic 12-13-2012 11:35 PM

New LED bulb with resistor

Looking over a couple more bulb swaps, I came across this new one for replacing the dual intensity front signal/running bulbs on my Civic. This bulb would not require a separate resistor? I could just install it on its own? Or is it intended for a light of a different design than a 1998 Civic?

TheEnemy 12-14-2012 12:54 AM

I believe any voltage control is already built into the package. It should be plug and play.

Ecky 12-14-2012 02:12 AM

Expensive for a bulb, with minimal gains, but I might just do it myself when my bulbs go out for the "wow factor". Replacing the headlights would be a better return.

kah 12-14-2012 07:15 AM

If it is with a resistor, wouldn't it use the same amount of power as a normal bulb? I'm looking into LED's myself, but i can't find any H4 LEDs that are good enough (or legal, for that matter). I have found lots of P21 LEDs, but the powersaving over the standard 5w bulb is minimal, and not really worth the extra cost.
I did find these though : LED autoprer - LED H7 Nr/Fjern lys 5500K (the website is in danish, but the H7 LEDs are korean made, but i haven't found them anywhere else on the web)
24W vs 55-60W for the normal bulbs and 1650 Lumen is a lot!

Edit: Just found them on a US site here http://hidconcept.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=119

California98Civic 12-14-2012 09:23 AM

I have already replaced the headlights with a HID kit that reduces watts by about 40%, and I have maybe 5-7 other LEDs in the external light fixtures. This among the last big changes I want to make. When I calculate the wattage using their mAmp ratings and 12.5 volts I get 1.125-2.875 watts, which is far less than the 20+ watts per bulb currently. Would a resistor draw more power than they are reporting? (Shows you what a noob I am on this.) It needs the resistor to work as a directional apparently.

oil pan 4 12-14-2012 10:30 AM

I have seen LED balist resistor kits at auto zone to make blinkers work with LEDs.
I figured the easiest cheapest simplest solution was just to leave amber filiment bulbs up front.

L.E.D conversion - EcoModder

mcrews 12-14-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 345451)
I have already replaced the headlights with a HID kit that reduces watts by about 40%, and I have maybe 5-7 other LEDs in the external light fixtures. .

Did you just put HID blbs into the halogen lamps.....or did you actually install HID projectors?

Cobb 12-14-2012 01:15 PM

The automotive bulbs online are made for 12 and in many cases 24 volt operation. The only time you need a resistor is in place of an electronic blinker relay sway so they do not blink fast. Of course like noted, putting the resistor in uses the same amount of power as the original bulb. :eek:

I got some replacement halogen led bulbs for a h3 and used them in a setof fog lights to drive around with on. :thumbup: It didnt really help much other than to illuminate anything reflective down the road, no real useful light.

California98Civic 12-14-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 345455)
Did you just put HID blbs into the halogen lamps.....or did you actually install HID projectors?

The hid bulbs fit into the stock fixtures, and the kit came with a way to connect into the existing connectors and the battery, with an inline fuse to protect the bulbs. The work well, I think, though I messed up part of the install and subsequently have not gotten the aiming I wanted. A more experienced hand would have had better results, but I live and learn.

3dplane 12-14-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 345499)
The hid bulbs fit into the stock fixtures, and the kit came with a way to connect into the existing connectors and the battery, with an inline fuse to protect the bulbs. The work well, I think, though I messed up part of the install and subsequently have not gotten the aiming I wanted. A more experienced hand would have had better results, but I live and learn.

I think I know where mcrews is heading with his question... and I have to agree!

The factory headlamp was designed to throw light in the correct directions and angles with minimal light spilling based on the EXACT location of the light source in the fixture,which is the filament in the bulb that it was designed with.

If we change this location within the fixture,(different bulb or incorrectly installed bulb)the mirrors behind the bulb will throw the light in all kinds of directions except where it needs to go.

I am talking about low beam that needs to concentrate the available light down onto the road ahead and not spill much light above a certain line that would blind oncoming traffic.

If this replacement kit HID bulb has it's light source in a different location from the original bulbs filament (highly likely) then the light will be more like the pattern of a high beam instead of a low beam.

This might answer the aiming problem you seem to have.

Where a fatory projector lamp as it was designed will throw a beautiful low beam light with a distinct separation of light and darkness separated by a horizontal line that is most visible when shined on a wall. Still has to be aimed correctly though!

Not trying to bust your chops just saying if this is the case then that would be the reason for it!

And by the way yes those LED replacement bulbs are suposed to work like they are without having to add resistors. (although as turn signal bulbs,I'm not sure)

Thx!