EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New Lurker (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-lurker-558.html)

Fuzzy 01-05-2008 11:38 PM

New Lurker

Hey all,
I've lurked "the other site" for about a year and half. The move to EM has been tugging at my "don't join a forum" drain rule. Alas, by resolve has broken, The EM vibe seems pretty solid, so I'll decided to dip my toe in the pool. Down the rabbit hole I go!

SVOboy 01-05-2008 11:42 PM

Haha, my tired mind is lost by so many allusions...:)

Welcome to the site! Perhaps we'll even turn you in to some sort of person who does things in the capacity of a person who contributes, :turtle:

Fuzzy 01-05-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 4305)
Haha, my tired mind is lost by so many allusions...:)

Mmm, Fuzzy indeed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 4305)
Welcome to the site! Perhaps we'll even turn you in to some sort of person who does things in the capacity of a person who contributes, :turtle:

Thanks. Time will tell. :)

SVOboy 01-05-2008 11:59 PM

Ah, I get it now! 7 hours of driving and I'm fried, :p

bestmapman 01-06-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy (Post 4303)
Hey all,
I've lurked "the other site" for about a year and half.

What was the other site?

Lazarus 01-06-2008 09:20 AM

Welcome. There's no going back now:D Nice car they are a blast to drive. What's the commute like?:turtle:

MetroMPG 01-06-2008 09:46 AM

Welcome, Fuzzy.

Nice ride, too. I have a relative with one ('90), and it's a complete joy to drive. Fits like a glove, go kart handling...

I considered picking up a dead one from a local garage while I was looking for a host car for an EV project.

Fuzzy 01-06-2008 09:52 PM

Re: Car & Commute

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 4340)
Welcome. [] Nice car they are a blast to drive. What's the commute like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 4343)
Welcome, Fuzzy. [] Nice ride, too. I have a relative with one ('90), and it's a complete joy to drive. Fits like a glove, go kart handling...

I considered picking up a dead one from a local garage while I was looking for a host car for an EV project.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Spin is a temporary fun car until parenthood descends (I've got another couple of years). Having it has been *very* educational. It's my first rear-wheel drive car, my first convertible, and the fastest. I'm not sure how long I'll have it. This mileage bug is digging deeper into me, and I miss the "haul what you want" capability of my Focus HB.

The commute? Ah, 7.5 miles and 15-20 minutes. Probably best described as "Hilly DC Suburban". I've got about 4 hills, 2-3 stop signs, 15 stoplights, and 2 left turns. I take a different route morn vs. afternoon. Most of it is 45, which around here means 55-60.

MetroMPG 01-06-2008 09:58 PM

That commute doesn't sound too terrible, speedwise (with the car's low gearing).

Thought about getting a ScanGauge yet? That's the surest sign the mileage bug has bitten.

Fuzzy 01-06-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 4394)
That commute doesn't sound too terrible, speedwise (with the car's low gearing).

No, definitely no terrible. I can toodle along at 45 in 6th, no problem (i.e. mazda ain't kidding about it being a "close ratio" gearbox!). But, with those 205/45R16 Winter Tires, bigger brakes, and convertible aerodynamics Spin doesn't coast like you'd expect a ~2400# 2-seater to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 4394)
Thought about getting a ScanGauge yet? That's the surest sign the mileage bug has bitten.

Thought? Yes. Scratched? No.

I'm biding my time 'till I determine Spin's replacement(s). There's not a lot I can/want to do since resale is a concern.