EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New Member with a TDI! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-member-tdi-17015.html)

Aldairion 04-24-2011 11:37 PM

New Member with a TDI!

Hey guys. I just stumbled upon this site while looking up some tips to jump my fuel economy. I have a 2005 Volkswagen Golf TDI, and I'll be taking a road trip to Memphis, TN from Manhattan, KS soon. Just joined up to see if I could get any insight in addition to what I've already found. It's 575 miles, and I could probably make it on one tank but the less fuel I use, the better!

I'm a huge car nut and I like a fast and flash car as much as the next guy, but my little "Diesel Dub" hasn't given me any trouble for the 103,xxx miles I've put on it and I'm all about maxing its capabilities.

I'm taking this trip at the end of the week and I'm looking for some quick mileage boosters. I've already stripped out whatever weight I can. I'm about to look into taping off panel gaps and such.

Anyway, good to be here!

War_Wagon 04-25-2011 01:47 AM

Welcome! As for easy tips, what are your tires inflated to? Make sure they are at the max sidewall pressure, and if you are feeling brave have a look through the forums and see what others have used for their tire pressures. I run mine at 45 psi, which is over the recommended amount, but it works for me. It's free, and it makes a noticeable difference in F.E..

euromodder 04-25-2011 03:10 AM

Welcome to ecomodder.

What sort of mileage are you usually getting, and is it an automatic or manual ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldairion (Post 233807)
It's 575 miles, and I could probably make it on one tank but the less fuel I use, the better!

I'm taking this trip at the end of the week and I'm looking for some quick mileage boosters. I've already stripped out whatever weight I can. I'm about to look into taping off panel gaps and such.

Weight won't matter very much on a long interstate drive, though it could matter a bit more if there's lots of climbing to be done.

Start a bit earlier and slow down.
Doing 70 instead of 75 mph (or 65 instead of 70) will seriously increase your mileage.

Inflate the tires to (near) sidewall max.
The ride will feel rather harsh if you go straight from VW recommended pressure to sidewall max.
Bit of a warning here :
On my car, the lightened rear end gets a bit nervous at sidewall max, so try it out first to see if it works, or keep the tyre pressures a bit lower (say 5psi) on the rear axle than on the front (which is rather heavily loaded on a TDi).

An upper grille block will help, but to play it safe you should be able to monitor the coolant temperature - on-board thermometers are notoriously vague.

Taping the panel lines is pretty hardcore modding ;)
I'll help a wee bit - probably not as much as you'd hope for with such a plainly visible mod.
Sealing the front and side panel gaps around the hood (on the inside) with weatherproof self-adhesive foam strips will help - if VW didn't already do it.

ted frater 04-25-2011 05:45 AM

The most economical speed at which to drive is at the peak of the torque curve.
engines love new clean oil, do an oil and filter change before you go.
Tyre pressures make a big difference.also skinny tyres i run mine at 45 psi.
thats on a suzuki diesel 5 door 97.
Any down hill gradient coast on tick over.
Coast up to intersections and traffic lights, use the brakes as little as possible.
fit a boost gauge and stay off the turbo
If you have time fit a exhaust gas recirculation valve blanking plate. give the engine only clean cold air. Nothing else.
Make sure the air cleaner is clean. Also if youve time removev and wash out the intercooler, it will have loads of oil in it.
IF your Golf is NOT common rail ecu controlled fuel injection system, and its has an ordinary Bosch roatary fuel injection pump you can go to 10% new veg oil into your normal diesel fill.
This slows he burn rate and thus increases the mid crank angle combustion pressure with less fuel needed for the same speed.
Do your research tho before trying this mod.
Hope this helps
Ted
in
Dorset
UK.

coast up to all intersections and traffic lights, use thekes as little as possible.

smck 04-25-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldairion (Post 233807)
It's 575 miles, and I could probably make it on one tank but the less fuel I use, the better!

I'm a huge car nut and I like a fast and flash car as much as the next guy, but my little "Diesel Dub" hasn't given me any trouble for the 103,xxx miles I've put on it and I'm all about maxing its capabilities.

Perform a ventectomy on your tank if you haven't already (fill tank completely for range extension). Run max sidewall pressure in tires. Make sure your skidplate is in place and in good shape, if you don't have one you should get one. Block off your grills. Make sure your t-stat is working properly (dash gauge is very inaccurate) 200F is about where you want to be. Nix the DRLs. Drive with windows up and no A/C when possible. No radio helps conserve power too. Make sure the snow cone is clean and check the intake for clogging. There is also lots of good info over on tdiclub.com to be had. And if you are at 103K and haven't changed your timing belt yet it's due.;) 575 with your car should be very easily doable. Have a nice trip and welcome to the club.
Seth

blade 04-25-2011 08:08 PM

welcome to em tell us how the trip goes

Aldairion 04-25-2011 09:59 PM

My car is a five-speed manual. The absolute best I've ever done with this car is 48 mpg on a trip from Atlanta, GA to Washington D.C. My dad and I drove up and we both drove pretty conservatively. I'm sure I can squeeze out a few more, and if I can crack 50 mpg, I'll be quite satisfied. Otherwise, in normal driving I manage around 40 mpg in a mix of city and highway driving.

I'm already a pretty diligent driver, so speed and smooth operating behavior is something I'm used to. My tire pressure is at the "normal" setting currently which is 33 up front and 42 in the rear. A harsh ride is not a big issue for me since I'll be on the interstates for almost all of my trip.

I'm also more comfortable in a warmer climate and I never use my A/C unless it's over 90 degrees outside, so I guess that won't be an issue! I think I'll need some tunes for the drive though. I'm also hanging onto my spare tire because I don't know what to expect on a ten hour journey. My car is due for an oil change soon anyway, so I may as well take care of it before the trip. I'll have to check out my intake. Also, what is the "snow cone?"

Thanks for the info!

euromodder 04-26-2011 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldairion (Post 234053)
My car is a five-speed manual. The absolute best I've ever done with this car is 48 mpg on a trip from Atlanta, GA to Washington D.C.

That's about what they get when driven sensible, but normally.

You should see better mpg than that if you pump up the tyres and slow down a bit - 50-52 mpg should be in there.

Quote:

My tire pressure is at the "normal" setting currently which is 33 up front and 42 in the rear.
Are those the VW recommended pressures ?
It'd be weird to have the lowest pressure on the highest loaded axle and vice-versa.

33 psi / 2.3 bar is pretty low.
Actually, it's also the pressure Volvo recommends for my car.
If you were to go to say 45psi all around, you'll see a marked improvement in MPG.
At least I did ;)

(I'm now running 51psi, sidewall max, all around)

Quote:

I'm also hanging onto my spare tire because I don't know what to expect on a ten hour journey.
I also take mine along on longer trips where having a flat would ruin the schedule.

UFO 04-26-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ted frater (Post 233845)
IF your Golf is NOT common rail ecu controlled fuel injection system, and its has an ordinary Bosch roatary fuel injection pump you can go to 10% new veg oil into your normal diesel fill.
This slows he burn rate and thus increases the mid crank angle combustion pressure with less fuel needed for the same speed.
Do your research tho before trying this mod.

coast up to all intersections and traffic lights, use thekes as little as possible.

He's got a PD engine, and vegetable oil is NOT recommended.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=315809

Aldairion 04-26-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 234101)
Are those the VW recommended pressures ?
It'd be weird to have the lowest pressure on the highest loaded axle and vice-versa.

That's what's indicated on the sticker on the door-sill. My sidewall max is 44 psi, and I just topped them off to that earlier today.

Speed shouldn't be an issue. I'm leaving very early in the morning just so I can take it easy on the road, plus I'll be driving through the middle of nowhere for a lot of my journey, which means no traffic! :thumbup: