EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New Member - Toyota iQ (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-member-toyota-iq-15797.html)

Small4Seater 01-14-2011 10:17 AM

New Member - Toyota iQ

Hi There,

I'm a new member here. In Europe there's a lot of car makers who with very fuel efficient diesels on the market. Toyota is not one of them.
I own a Toyota iQ and my goal is to implement some of the same fuel saving ideas as Toyota's competitors are doing in order to make my iQ more fuel efficient (current "EPA" is only 58.8mpg).
By driving efficiently, my best tank of fuel so far has been 68.27mpg without modifications.

If I suddenly too much money, I have some plans that include an iQ and a wrecked Prius.

But for now, I just want to get into this community and start looking into modding this first iQ.

Daox 01-14-2011 10:20 AM

Welcome to the site.

What shortcomings does Toyota lack that other makers have?

Small4Seater 01-14-2011 10:25 AM

Hey Daox,
Well, I promised you that I would join here in 2011, so here I am.

Toyota is simply not entering the efficient diesel market, focusing on hybrids instead (while I'm sure they could do both).

See Skoda Greenline, Volkswagen BlueMotion and Ford Econetic.
They have started using stop'n'go on their latest models, which I might not be able to get in my iQ. I should be able to save on weight and aerodynamics, though.

Daox 01-14-2011 10:32 AM

Ah yes, the guy from toyota nation. Glad to see you over here. :)

What kind of mileage do those competitors rate at vs the iQ?

NeilBlanchard 01-14-2011 10:52 AM

Welcome! I hope you can post some pictures of any mods to your iQ?

Small4Seater 01-14-2011 10:53 AM

>Daox

That's the embarasing part. Remember that an iQ is a city (smaller than A-segment car).

iQ: 25km/l (all measures in km/l)
Audi A1: 25,6
Audi A3: 26,3
BMW 3-series: 24,4
Citroën C3: 26,3
Fiat 500: 25,6
Fiat Punto: 27,8
Ford Fiesta: 27
Ford Focus: 26,3
Hyundai i20: 27

And that is just A-H.

Current leader is Volkswagen with 30.3 on their Polo.

So where is Toyota? Their best diesel is the iQ that I own.

euromodder 01-14-2011 04:05 PM

In real life, those cars don't get the figures that are claimed for them either ;)
You need to drive them very carefully or hypermile them if you want to get anywhere near those numbers.

Small4Seater 01-15-2011 09:11 AM

True, but the same can be said for my iQ.

One problem with my diesel is that it drives so smoothly that it's very hard to judge the speed, so I installed cruise control for those tricky flat roads where the car has a tendency to accelerate slowly... unintended.

> NeilBlanchard
Thanks. There will be lots of pics once I start working on it. It is still too cold outside and Winter here is not even half way through.

eagletalon 01-15-2011 02:23 PM

I saw a lot of these when I went to Rome and didn't know they also came diesel. Nice little looking cars

honestabe 01-16-2011 02:34 AM

I am so jealous. You Europeans get all the cars that get killer gas mileage while us Americans get stuck with cars that get 30 MPG and they tell us that that is high FE. What a crock I tell ya!

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum :) Pics would definitely be a plus.