EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   New Mexico overcomes inferiority complex (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-mexico-overcomes-inferiority-complex-40205.html)

aerohead 05-02-2022 12:15 PM

New Mexico overcomes inferiority complex

Not to be outdone, New Mexico has thrown down the gauntlet, and has achieved national status as having the largest wildfire in the USA.
Way to go!
Los Alamos is poised for fun. If the US GOVT signs are correct, there's un-exploded ordnance littering the surrounding real estate. Just add flames.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...-flee-84443335

freebeard 05-02-2022 01:14 PM

It's a midterm year, I expect the entire West Coast will go up again.

Quote:

2020 Oregon wildfires
The 2020 Oregon wildfire season was one of the most destructive on record in the state of Oregon. The season is a part of the 2020 Western United States wildfire season. The fires killed at least 11 people, burned more than 1,000,000 acres of land, and destroyed thousands of homes.Wikipedia
Total fires: 2,027
Total area: 1,221,324 acres
Buildings, destroyed: 3,000+

oil pan 4 05-02-2022 05:11 PM

Spring of 2021 there was hard frost that killed a bunch of trees, then it rained more than usual, this year less rain than normal and more wind than normal. Remove any one of those things and the fires are mild. Almost exactly the same thing happened back around 2009-2010.
California can't screw it up bad enough to be number 1 all year every year, but it is only may and it looks like they're trying.
The best thing about new Mexico is last time I checked that fire had came with in 5 miles of a populated area only once.
In California they burn through towns left and right.

freebeard 05-02-2022 05:36 PM

Apparently, I am blocked but Thankable. :thumbup:

Piotrsko 05-03-2022 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 667297)
Spring of 2021 there was hard frost that killed a bunch of trees, then it rained more than usual, this year less rain than normal and more wind than normal. Remove any one of those things and the fires are mild. Almost exactly the same thing happened back around 2009-2010.
California can't screw it up bad enough to be number 1 all year every year, but it is only may and it looks like they're trying.
The best thing about new Mexico is last time I checked that fire had came with in 5 miles of a populated area only once.
In California they burn through towns left and right.

Hell of a lot of trees in non urban parts of Cali with houses imbedded because it's scenic. Due to all that mass, they don't have to even try to end up number 1 as it's dry and windy right now, PGE hasn't fixed anything. They missed burning down Tahoe because of a wind shift

oil pan 4 05-05-2022 08:40 PM

Our stupid governor is still wearing a mask, outdoors. No one knows why. Maybe because she was in a fire area, appeared to be wearing an N99. Problem with an N99 is its going to allow about 99% of long distance smoke particles through.
I made about an N99.9 house air filter, it actually stops smoke particles.

freebeard 05-05-2022 09:21 PM

Can you translate? N99 is 99% of particles at what particle size? N100 is 99.97%?

Residential filtering should have a MERV rating. But MERV rating is based on particle size, not per centage of some unknown size.

For instance I have MERV-11, a 14x14 filter directly behind a whole house positive pressure fan.
Quote:

·Pre-Filters or Final Filters
·Hospital Laboratories
·Better Commercial Buildings
·Superior Residential Buildings

Filters down to 1.0–3.0 micron particle size
'Superior Residential' :)

oil pan 4 05-05-2022 11:23 PM

Mine uses two 24x24 merv 13 to 16 with extra quiet bathroom fans to move the air, but it has a slight air leak. I bust out the the merv 16 when there's fires.

Piotrsko 05-06-2022 10:09 AM

That's the only way I can buy my new house filters in the industrial 20 x 25 x 4" size they are. Currently run merv 12, in July I can install the 13, can custom make a 16 but it is only good for one month before it clogs. The twelve actually stops kitchen odors from spreading through the house and cleared the tahoe fire smoke. Wonder if there are differences in ratings?

N99 filters 99% of particles 1 micron or larger. Useless on smaller particles like covid.

oil pan 4 05-06-2022 03:45 PM

It will stop the larger droplets of covid, but stopping 99% of a virus has the same outcome as stopping 0% of the virus. Also doesn't do squat to keep droplets landing in your eye.