EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   New Personal Best- 45.73mpg ALL CITY!!! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-personal-best-45-73mpg-all-city-16200.html)

Jim-Bob 02-23-2011 01:49 AM

New Personal Best- 45.73mpg ALL CITY!!!

Well, the $250 Metro just keeps getting better! Delivering pizza for 5 days with it I saw 45.73 MPG today. My latest mod is a freebie warm air intake that I did by simply removing the inlet hose to the air cleaner. As for other stuff, I have 0W-30 Mobil 1 oil, 42 psi tire pressure, removed the passenger seat (for cargo space, not weight reduction) and a crappy partial grille block that is made of an old pizza sign and zip ties. That's it. It even has the original hub caps and 12 inch wheels. I also added a factory tachometer cluster and some extra interior lighting and a second power port for my GPS but that has little to do with fuel economy.

As for driving technique, I use a lot of engine off coasting-maybe 20-30 miles a tank. I also drive without brakes as much as possible and hit corners so hard that the brake light comes on in the dash. Now you would think that a hypermiling pizza delivery driver would be slow and lose money due to a lack of tips but not me. I am always in the top three of driver rankings and within 20 seconds of the top leg time when the times are posted. I'm also my store's top grossing driver most weeks as well. So, hypermiling need not slow you down if you can figure out how to do it properly. It helps to spend 40-50 hours a week behind the wheel of the same little car too...

SentraSE-R 02-23-2011 02:06 AM

Very impressive! You're my city driving inspiration.

lowglider 02-23-2011 04:47 PM

Awesome work.

Why not put a big mpg stating decal on your car and promote yourself as green pizza delivery, maybe they`ll give you more tips :p

abently 02-23-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowglider (Post 221718)
Awesome work.

Why not put a big mpg stating decal on your car and promote yourself as green pizza delivery, maybe they`ll give you more tips :p

Somehow I doubt that... lol.

I'm pushing easily over 40+MPG city driving also, with no EOC, P&G etc so its not impossible.

:)

Jim-Bob 02-23-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abently (Post 221740)
Somehow I doubt that... lol.

I'm pushing easily over 40+MPG city driving also, with no EOC, P&G etc so its not impossible.

:)

Not to be an ass but is that Imperial gallons or US gallons? Remember that 1 Imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons.

abently 02-23-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim-Bob (Post 221793)
Not to be an ass but is that Imperial gallons or US gallons? Remember that 1 Imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons.

It is specifically US gallons, though I can convert it to imperial if you really like. :p

Unfortunately since my shifter cables snapped and wideband 02 died, MPG has been shot from the all-time high of almost 44MPG, but hoping this current tank will get me back to my usual 42MPG. Still have aero to do and waiting on my MPGuino to arrive. Everyone else with the bigger version of this engine 1.5L 5EFE (instead of 1.3L 4EFE) is pushing bigger MPG's with not even half the ECU tricks I had going... :(

We got the Suzuki Swift/Holden Barina (same as Geo Metro) here in Australia but not the XFI version otherwise I would have been onto it like a fat kid on a smartie...