Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
New Personal Best- 45.73mpg ALL CITY!!!

Well, the $250 Metro just keeps getting better! Delivering pizza for 5 days with it I saw 45.73 MPG today. My latest mod is a freebie warm air intake that I did by simply removing the inlet hose to the air cleaner. As for other stuff, I have 0W-30 Mobil 1 oil, 42 psi tire pressure, removed the passenger seat (for cargo space, not weight reduction) and a crappy partial grille block that is made of an old pizza sign and zip ties. That's it. It even has the original hub caps and 12 inch wheels. I also added a factory tachometer cluster and some extra interior lighting and a second power port for my GPS but that has little to do with fuel economy.

As for driving technique, I use a lot of engine off coasting-maybe 20-30 miles a tank. I also drive without brakes as much as possible and hit corners so hard that the brake light comes on in the dash. Now you would think that a hypermiling pizza delivery driver would be slow and lose money due to a lack of tips but not me. I am always in the top three of driver rankings and within 20 seconds of the top leg time when the times are posted. I'm also my store's top grossing driver most weeks as well. So, hypermiling need not slow you down if you can figure out how to do it properly. It helps to spend 40-50 hours a week behind the wheel of the same little car too...

No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)

Last edited by Jim-Bob; 02-23-2011 at 01:55 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Very impressive! You're my city driving inspiration.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Diabla - '09 Renault Laguna Hatchback
Awesome work.

Why not put a big mpg stating decal on your car and promote yourself as green pizza delivery, maybe they`ll give you more tips
Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

turquoise - '97 Toyota Starlet
90 day: 41.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowglider View Post
Awesome work.

Why not put a big mpg stating decal on your car and promote yourself as green pizza delivery, maybe they`ll give you more tips
Somehow I doubt that... lol.

I'm pushing easily over 40+MPG city driving also, with no EOC, P&G etc so its not impossible.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
Quote:
Originally Posted by abently View Post
Somehow I doubt that... lol.

I'm pushing easily over 40+MPG city driving also, with no EOC, P&G etc so its not impossible.

Not to be an ass but is that Imperial gallons or US gallons? Remember that 1 Imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons.
No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)
Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

turquoise - '97 Toyota Starlet
90 day: 41.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bob View Post
Not to be an ass but is that Imperial gallons or US gallons? Remember that 1 Imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons.
It is specifically US gallons, though I can convert it to imperial if you really like.

Unfortunately since my shifter cables snapped and wideband 02 died, MPG has been shot from the all-time high of almost 44MPG, but hoping this current tank will get me back to my usual 42MPG. Still have aero to do and waiting on my MPGuino to arrive. Everyone else with the bigger version of this engine 1.5L 5EFE (instead of 1.3L 4EFE) is pushing bigger MPG's with not even half the ECU tricks I had going...

We got the Suzuki Swift/Holden Barina (same as Geo Metro) here in Australia but not the XFI version otherwise I would have been onto it like a fat kid on a smartie...