EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   New Republic Wireless Phones, $19/month plan ending soon. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-republic-wireless-phones-19-month-plan-ending-27002.html)

UltArc 09-19-2013 06:54 PM

New Republic Wireless Phones, $19/month plan ending soon.

Alright guys, this is not just a shameless plug. If anyone is offended, I will remove a link that will help me out. I just wanted to get the disclaimer out, as this is not me just trying to get free stuff- but if one does this, it will help me.

Another member referred me to Mr. Money Moustache. Browsing the site, I found Republic Wireless.

The plans are for unlimited everything on the Defy XT, for 19/month before taxes (I pay 21.70). The service is based on wifi, and uses Sprint when it's not on wifi. I like the Defy and will probably not upgrade to the Moto X for a while. I like the ruggedness, I like rubbing the screen up against my keys or my gun on my belt, and never getting any type of scratch on the screen. I like smsing in the rain, and never worrying about water damage.

The Moto X does not do this :/

BUT, if one does not sign up before September 26th, they are not considered original members. Original members will get 10% for the rest of their relationship with RW. SO, one has until the 26th to be set with the company.

The new Moto X.

Shameful link here:

Nevermind! It USED to be that one got a free month of service when they signed up from a current member, but clearly that's over. Well, nevermind on being shameful- check it out if you are looking to minimize your bill, and theres no deals to my knowledge, but it was a great deal for me.

With my discount, I paid 66/month for Sprint for unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited data/messaging. The money I saved by canceling, paying the ETF, and buying the new phone, over the same time, saved me just over $100. I didn't really talk too much about it because the phone was limited to the Defy XT (which I love, but most people prefer frivolous things over function). Now, I can really say to check it out- as the Moto X is pretty slick (I had a funny feeling it would be the Moto X, as RW is hand & hand w/ Google, so I checked it out at ATT the other day).

I look forward to feedback from other members, especially if they have used the service, and if this thread is out of line, feel free to edit/delete. I don't want to tarnish my image/reputation here for a mobile phone company.

a8ksh4 09-19-2013 08:15 PM

Thanks for the post, UltArc. I've been using Republic Wireless w/ the Moto Defy for around 6 months now. The defy is a POS, but the $20/mo service is great. Republic has good support, too, so I'd recommend them. I'm looking forward to getting a decent phone to use w/ their service.

UltArc 09-19-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a8ksh4 (Post 391625)
Thanks for the post, UltArc. I've been using Republic Wireless w/ the Moto Defy for around 6 months now. The defy is a POS, but the $20/mo service is great. Republic has good support, too, so I'd recommend them. I'm looking forward to getting a decent phone to use w/ their service.

YOU DON'T LIKE THE DEFY?!?!

That's fair. I understand it has shortcomings, and there is some envy from me when I am near an S4, or even an S3, but I personally really like it.

It is so simple, and works great. Now the OS...there are some issues there, definitely. If the Moto X was originally around, I could see going with it, but it will be difficult to switch from a ruggedized device to something else. I have missed being able to treat my mobile like a tool, and not like a $700 piece of glass.

I also was expecting every color option to be available. I figured since ATT (and maybe others) had one grab a card, then go online and build it, with a bunch of options. This was a contributing reason I thought RW would use it. First, buy it, then, click your link and set up the design one wants. I know RW needs special gear, but I would think the exterior components would be interchangeable.

cbaber 09-19-2013 11:59 PM

TMobile has a "secret" plan that is $30/month and provides unlimited data (4G up to 5GB), unlimited text, and 100 minutes of talk. You cannot activate the plan in a store or over the phone. Has to be online. You buy the $10 SIM card from TMobile, then go online and activate the plan.

UltArc 09-20-2013 12:06 AM

But that's 30/month, not 19, and although the one is limited to the Defy for it, it has unlimited everything and includes exceptional wifi.

The best part is that it's CDMA.

Daox 09-20-2013 08:52 AM

I have been using RW for about 3 months now. The wifi service is great and the sprint network around here is good enough. I'm at ~70% wifi usage though so its not a big deal.

The Defy was my first smart phone. I realize its older and not as fancy, but until then I had lived with a flip phone so its just fine for me. I don't need my handheld device to do everything under the sun and more. I need a phone. It does get a little quirky from time to time, but its $20 a month so there is no way I'd complain.

BTW, they also are still doing the free month referral (both parties get $20 off their bill). So if you are interested, you can PM one of the people who are using RW and get some cash off your first bill. I would prefer people not post referral links.

UltArc 11-15-2013 10:40 AM

I want to post a new thread for this, but I think that may not be very classy. So I will update this one.

Republic Wireless has now released their Moto X.

I posted something similar on another forum, basically asking about peoples experience with the X.

I just ordered mine from them. I know the SG4 and the HTC One perform better in a straight line, just performance- but a lot of reviews say the X is an all around better performer.

It makes sense, a phone designed to be truly used for every day life rather than just putting a giant processor in and that being that. Not saying a big processor is bad, rather why use it when one rarely needs it? Kind of like why I got the 3.7 instead of the 5.0- I could never even convince myself I would need 400 horsepower, 300 does just fine- I will use the mileage every day, all the time. Why get a quad core giant power plant when I won't be editing photo/video or doing 5 tasks all at once on the device at the same time- when it works so well to do the daily functions, and still is great with web browsing and the usual internet stuff.

I am not all hopped up on the Moto X, I am interested in learning how/why it is good, bad, ugly, or experience with the company. I have had no issues, but that's me.

If anyone is on the fence, or is considering them, make sure you do take advantage of the $19 credit on your bill- I get the same credit on my bill, too.

Referral link for both of us to get the $19 credit. PM me for the link.

If you do want to sign up, and not get the $19 credit, just don't PM me.

These two articles are what I am talking about with the Moto X:
PhoneScoop
Moto X better than SGS4?

What do you think?

jameskshaffer 11-30-2013 02:56 PM

You guys should definitely check out Ting is you are looking for cheaper cell phone service.

Superfuelgero 11-30-2013 05:46 PM

both of those are sprint based networks, and won't work here. I use cspire which is 75/mo for full unlimited.

Cd 11-30-2013 06:19 PM

I use a piece of crap Tracfone. A $20 card lasts for 90 days of service.

So that is around $ 7 a month.

If someone calls and i know it will be a long call, i call them back using Google Voice from the computer which is free.

Also WiFi

How's that for cheap ? Anything cheaper ?

vskid3 11-30-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbaber (Post 391652)
TMobile has a "secret" plan that is $30/month and provides unlimited data (4G up to 5GB), unlimited text, and 100 minutes of talk. You cannot activate the plan in a store or over the phone. Has to be online. You buy the $10 SIM card from TMobile, then go online and activate the plan.

I switched from Verizon to this plan in the last couple months, saves $100 between my wife and me. I looked into Republic and Ting, but both use Sprint, which is terrible here.

UltArc 12-02-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 401414)
I use a piece of crap Tracfone. A $20 card lasts for 90 days of service.

So that is around $ 7 a month.

If someone calls and i know it will be a long call, i call them back using Google Voice from the computer which is free.

Also WiFi

How's that for cheap ? Anything cheaper ?

If you only used wifi, there is a $5 plan. But you like to call...that would be $10 per month. I am ordering one for my father for Christmas, he has the Defy XT right now. He only uses it for calling and when I SMS him, so it's a better plan than the $19/month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vskid3 (Post 401419)
I switched from Verizon to this plan in the last couple months, saves $100 between my wife and me. I looked into Republic and Ting, but both use Sprint, which is terrible here.

Ting is interesting, and I think it could be better for Cd. Just use what you need, and that's that (except it's $6/month before other charges).

Ting at $10/month would only allow 1-100 minutes, OR 1-100 SMS, while Republic gives unlimited of both for the same price. For my $25, I could get 101-500 minutes, 101-1000 SMS, and 1-100 megabytes- so far this month (November 25th to current) on my new Moto X, I've used 129 MB, 206 SMS, and can't see minutes, but since I have used the phone, my calls are at 59 minutes. At this moment, it would be $33, if I didn't use it any further.

teeker1 12-03-2013 10:40 AM

Ting is the way to go for people who dont need an unlimited plan. I have been with them almost since they started about 1.5 years ago. I have 8 lines and pay between $75 and $85 per month. My wife, parents, in-laws, and kids are all on my plan. There are many ways on cutting your texts and being smart about data use to keep the bill down. Shameless plug, I bought the stock right after signing up and TCX has just about tripled since then.

damarble 12-03-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskshaffer (Post 401395)
You guys should definitely check out Ting is you are looking for cheaper cell phone service.

Thank you! I had not heard of them before. My wife and I have newer Samsung Galaxy phones that are still fine for our needs. I just dropped our Sprint contract when it expired last month because even with discounts it was almost $150. We were just about to port them to StraightTalk.

It doesn't look like RW let's you bring your own phone? Their $5 plan is perfect for me. I'm by wifi 90% of the time and when I'm not I can use my work cell for talk. But I'm not buying a new phone.

Cd 12-03-2013 06:58 PM

Actually, I'm not complaining about $7 a month with Tracfone. I just wish they had better phones. I note that they just came out with Android phones, but I'm so damned cheap / ( poor! ) that I shudder at the thought of paying the $100 for the phone.

UltArc 12-04-2013 07:35 PM

Well, I will put in another shameless plug. Actually, it is a bit shameful. I love this site, and I try to stay relevant and be informative or helpful here- even though I spend more time learning than teaching.

I am only posting this because SINCE you are being referred by someone, you get a $25 credit. So, yes, I get a $25 dollar credit for you joining (if you do), but so do you. Yes, I benefit, but it helps you out, too. I wish someone would have referred me so I could have gotten the credit when I signed up :/

$25 credit for Ting

damarble 12-04-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 401941)
Well, I will put in another shameless plug. Actually, it is a bit shameful. I love this site, and I try to stay relevant and be informative or helpful here- even though I spend more time learning than teaching.

I am only posting this because SINCE you are being referred by someone, you get a $25 credit. So, yes, I get a $25 dollar credit for you joining (if you do), but so do you. Yes, I benefit, but it helps you out, too. I wish someone would have referred me so I could have gotten the credit when I signed up :/

$25 credit for Ting

I wish you had posted that sooner. Or if you did I missed it. I switched the wife's phone to Ting last night without anybody getting credits. :mad:

redpoint5 12-23-2013 07:39 PM

Thanks to UltArc, I will be saving $19 on my first month of service. I dragged my feet too long and missed my opportunity to save 15%, but at least I will be saving $20/mo compared to StraightTalk.

The new Moto X has great reviews, and I'm sure it will be more than capable for my wife's needs.

Strangely, I was charged $20 in taxes at checkout. No idea what is being taxed since Oregon has the lowest cellular taxes, and my first month of service is only $6. I've sent an email to Republic, but if you have any idea what I could be charged $20 in taxes for, I'd be curious to know.

UltArc 12-24-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 404100)
Thanks to UltArc, I will be saving $19 on my first month of service. I dragged my feet too long and missed my opportunity to save 15%, but at least I will be saving $20/mo compared to StraightTalk.

The new Moto X has great reviews, and I'm sure it will be more than capable for my wife's needs.

Strangely, I was charged $20 in taxes at checkout. No idea what is being taxed since Oregon has the lowest cellular taxes, and my first month of service is only $6. I've sent an email to Republic, but if you have any idea what I could be charged $20 in taxes for, I'd be curious to know.

Could it be for the purchase of the phone itself? I think mine was $320, between shipping and the taxes- I'd have to check.

redpoint5 12-24-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 404174)
Could it be for the purchase of the phone itself? I think mine was $320, between shipping and the taxes- I'd have to check.

I was wondering that myself, but Oregon does not have sales tax. I've never bought a phone before, so is it possible there is some sort of FCC tax for the phone?

UltArc 12-24-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 404186)
I was wondering that myself, but Oregon does not have sales tax. I've never bought a phone before, so is it possible there is some sort of FCC tax for the phone?

I'd ask about it in the RW community. They are fairly knowledgeable, and since it is all online, the Admin are pretty prompt. Though I couldn't speak to service now that it is Christmas/time

https://community.republicwireless.c...0Tax%20Map.jpg

Searching around, not too much info available right now.

UltArc 04-17-2014 08:31 PM

RepublicWireless.com now has their new phone out, and now has the Referral Program Back.

Here the Specs on the G

It is more "powerful" than the Moto X, but not as user experience friendly. I do prefer the X, and advise that as the way to go. Moto Maker was the worst internet purchase experience I have ever made, but the Moto X from RW worked flawlessly and without issue.

As also mentioned, the RAF program is up and actually better than ever. If you already have RW, use this process to refer friends:
-Sign in (top right corner)
-Click "My Account"
-Click "Referrals"
-Use any of those methods to spread the love.

Remember, when someone else uses it, BOTH of you get $20 towards your next bill. $10/month plan? Two months paid. $5/month plan? Four months paid.

I advise using your own code to spread the love, and get yourself free time, and the next person free time. Now, the new person gets it right off of their purchase- no waiting until they get their bills. If you don't have a friend with RW, I will be posting my code at the bottom in small print. If you have a friend with RW, use their code! But if you don't, you and I will both save $20.

PM me for a code if you're interested.

UltArc 12-07-2014 10:27 PM

New Moto X in just a few days!

I am super pumped about it! Mine will be Black front, Walnut back, and still deciding on the accents...red or yellow (which hopefully look green, like they do on my LCDs).

The device is $400. You can learn more about the device here: Motorola Moto X (CDMA, 2nd gen.) Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

To learn more about RW with the new X, go here: https://republicwireless.com/info/ph...oto-x-2nd-gen/

So far, this has been my cost with RW NOT including the sale of my old device (Defy XT), and not including referrals. So just expenses so far, about $50 per month. Adding in the new X and the referrals will do who knows what to it, but will surely help.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u...2B21.39.50.png

So how do I like the service? I love it. Is it the best? HECK NO!
Where I live, there is close to no service. Verizon, TMO, whatever. But I love to travel, go weird places, do whatever whenever. There is nothing stopping me from that with any other company...but when I hit zero service, I can use WiFi. I jump on, and I have full signal. Airplane? Cruise? Out of the country? WIFI!

But the real perk? If I only want WiFi, then $5 per month. Full phone functioning as if on Airport, unless on WiFi. So I want calls and SMS? $10. But I am a gluten, and want me 3G...so I pay $25.

Quite a few people here are already on it, but I wanted to bring it up to let people know. There is a good selection of phones right now.

X(2)- 399
X- 299
G*- 149
E- 99

* There is a new G, so be on the lookout for that being added. The new G is rather comparable with the old X, and DOES accept [micro] SD cards, so it is a contender as long as Okay Google Now isn't critical.

I doubt the old X will drop in price, but expect the used market to start seeing more and more old Xs. Mine is up on eBay as we speak, so if you want a good deal on it (10% off for any EMers), PM me and I will give you the link. Keep in mind, two weeks to a month from now, you will probably have better offers. As the new X hits the streets, more and more people will be picking them up and replacing their old gear.

Although I am shamelessly plugging here, I love the brand, and I hope others chime in with their experience, pros and cons. I am sure there are more negatives, I just don't give them much mind for the price.

jamesqf 12-08-2014 12:36 PM

I'm puzzled here. You're paying $25/month for phone service, and think it's a great deal? I'm paying a bit over $7 month ($21.99 for 90 days, IIRC) for a Tracphone.

You pay anywhere from $99 to $399 for the phone itself, and think that's a great deal? I paid something like $30 for mine.

You've had to buy (if I understand your spreadsheet correctly) 3 phones in a year and a half, spending a total of $700? I've had that $30 one of mine for longer, and it still works fine.

Far from being a great deal, it seems to me as though you're getting screwed. Maybe not as roughly as some of the major companies might screw you, but they still aren't going to respect you in the morning :-)

PaleMelanesian 12-08-2014 04:19 PM

What kind of phone and service is that tracphone?

This is a new model smartphone with a full data plan.

UltArc 12-08-2014 05:51 PM

So you have unlimited calling, unlimited text messaging, and unlimited data for $7 per month?!?!? Links please!!!

How much is the gen 2 Motorola X on there? When is it getting lollipop?

And I bought my first phone, but when the new one came out, I decided to upgraded. When the next one comes out, I am deciding upgrading again. I should get together the referrals I had to make an accurate estimate.

You really have to link me. The only trac phones I have seen have been burners for drug dealers. I didn't know people really used them, or they had decent phones. If they have actual production models that like, come with cameras bigger than 1 mega pixel, or are more advanced than the jitterbug, it could be a great option.

UltArc 12-08-2014 11:26 PM

I went to that site...trac phone. Err, they don't spell phone like phone, "fone."

They don't actually carry the X. Their nicest phone is only $79.99, and it gets a 3 MP camera!

In 9 days I have 37 pages of 20 items over calling and SMS. So over 2,220 Calls/SMS each month, before data.

jamesqf 12-09-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 458871)
So you have unlimited calling, unlimited text messaging, and unlimited data for $7 per month?!?!?

Not unlimited, but more than I actually use. I'll grant that I have better things to do with my time than spend it on pointless gabbing & texting.

Quote:

I didn't know people really used them, or they had decent phones. If they have actual production models that like, come with cameras bigger than 1 mega pixel, or are more advanced than the jitterbug, it could be a great option.
Don't know what you mean by 'jitterbug' (wasn't it a kind of dancing from the 'Roaring Twenties'?), and also have trouble figuring out what you mean by 'decent' phones. I can call anyone I want, or send text messages to them, and receive the same. What more would I want from a phone? If I want to take pictures, I have several decent-quality digital cameras.

redpoint5 12-09-2014 03:43 PM

I have my wife on Republic through UltArc's referral and she is very happy with the $25/mo unlimited phone/text/3G. She has been using the Moto X for over a year and sees no reason to replace it.

That said, I just bought an LG Volt for Mom and Dad for $30 each, and have them signed up with Ringplus. The Bella plan is $10/mo for each device and provides 400 minutes, 400 text, and 300MB data. The catch is that you listen to ads instead of hearing the normal phone ring when you place a call.

I'd go with Ringplus myself if I didn't have my ridiculously expensive iPhone/ATT provided by work. It's hard to beat a $30 smart phone and $10/mo plan.

UltArc 12-09-2014 07:37 PM

That isn't bad at all! I imagine I could do with less calling, SMS, and MMS if I used facebook or twitter. I just can't do it...it hurts my brain.

broski499 12-09-2014 07:52 PM

I was with Republic when it was in Beta still. Didn't mind the phone and really loved the idea of using wifi when you can to make overall cell service cheaper. Only problem was when I used it the tech was just not quite there yet. I had horrible echoing when using phone on wifi and then it also had trouble connecting to cell service once I left wifi. I'm not sure how they are doing these days but my biggest complaint is they are on Sprint's network which I just hate with a passion. I'm on T-Mobile now and while I pay a lot more for phone service I now have the benefit of wifi calling with the latest update. If sprint gets its butt in the game when it comes to quality network I might reconsider republic wireless again.

Daox 12-09-2014 09:21 PM

Yeah, I've had the echoing problem in the past too. I am still using their Defy XT (older phone), and it works just fine. The newer ones have none of the limitations of the Defy XT, and move seamlessly from wifi to cell service (from what the emails say at least).

Also, they use Sprint primarily, but also use Verizon as backup where Sprint isn't available.

Overall, I'm very happy with the service.

PaleMelanesian 12-10-2014 09:19 AM

Yes, the wifi to cell handover is seamless now. I can continue a call as I walk out the door, get in the car and drive away.

I have the X. My sister signed on a few months later and got the G for half the price. For how I use it, there is essentially no difference between them. I would have bought the G if it was out when I needed it. $150 phone instead of $299 makes it a much more appealing proposition.

And I'm paying less now than I was for a flip-phone with no data at all.

UltArc 12-10-2014 09:35 AM

That Ring plus looks pretty good, though. If one doesn't need WiFi calling and/or doesn't use TOO much of the services, they look like a great option, too. Red, do you have a referral code in case others are interested in that? Might as well help you out if they offer that.