Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
New Republic Wireless Phones, $19/month plan ending soon.

Alright guys, this is not just a shameless plug. If anyone is offended, I will remove a link that will help me out. I just wanted to get the disclaimer out, as this is not me just trying to get free stuff- but if one does this, it will help me.

Another member referred me to Mr. Money Moustache. Browsing the site, I found Republic Wireless.

The plans are for unlimited everything on the Defy XT, for 19/month before taxes (I pay 21.70). The service is based on wifi, and uses Sprint when it's not on wifi. I like the Defy and will probably not upgrade to the Moto X for a while. I like the ruggedness, I like rubbing the screen up against my keys or my gun on my belt, and never getting any type of scratch on the screen. I like smsing in the rain, and never worrying about water damage.

The Moto X does not do this :/

BUT, if one does not sign up before September 26th, they are not considered original members. Original members will get 10% for the rest of their relationship with RW. SO, one has until the 26th to be set with the company.

The new Moto X.

Shameful link here:

Nevermind! It USED to be that one got a free month of service when they signed up from a current member, but clearly that's over. Well, nevermind on being shameful- check it out if you are looking to minimize your bill, and theres no deals to my knowledge, but it was a great deal for me.

With my discount, I paid 66/month for Sprint for unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited data/messaging. The money I saved by canceling, paying the ETF, and buying the new phone, over the same time, saved me just over $100. I didn't really talk too much about it because the phone was limited to the Defy XT (which I love, but most people prefer frivolous things over function). Now, I can really say to check it out- as the Moto X is pretty slick (I had a funny feeling it would be the Moto X, as RW is hand & hand w/ Google, so I checked it out at ATT the other day).

I look forward to feedback from other members, especially if they have used the service, and if this thread is out of line, feel free to edit/delete. I don't want to tarnish my image/reputation here for a mobile phone company.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
B.O. Zen

Pickup - '99 Toyota Tacoma 2wd, Regular Cab, Short Bed
90 day: 34.62 mpg (US)
Thanks for the post, UltArc. I've been using Republic Wireless w/ the Moto Defy for around 6 months now. The defy is a POS, but the $20/mo service is great. Republic has good support, too, so I'd recommend them. I'm looking forward to getting a decent phone to use w/ their service.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8ksh4 View Post
Thanks for the post, UltArc. I've been using Republic Wireless w/ the Moto Defy for around 6 months now. The defy is a POS, but the $20/mo service is great. Republic has good support, too, so I'd recommend them. I'm looking forward to getting a decent phone to use w/ their service.
YOU DON'T LIKE THE DEFY?!?!

That's fair. I understand it has shortcomings, and there is some envy from me when I am near an S4, or even an S3, but I personally really like it.

It is so simple, and works great. Now the OS...there are some issues there, definitely. If the Moto X was originally around, I could see going with it, but it will be difficult to switch from a ruggedized device to something else. I have missed being able to treat my mobile like a tool, and not like a $700 piece of glass.

I also was expecting every color option to be available. I figured since ATT (and maybe others) had one grab a card, then go online and build it, with a bunch of options. This was a contributing reason I thought RW would use it. First, buy it, then, click your link and set up the design one wants. I know RW needs special gear, but I would think the exterior components would be interchangeable.

Best Tanks:
Old 09-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
TMobile has a "secret" plan that is $30/month and provides unlimited data (4G up to 5GB), unlimited text, and 100 minutes of talk. You cannot activate the plan in a store or over the phone. Has to be online. You buy the $10 SIM card from TMobile, then go online and activate the plan.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
a8ksh4 (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

But that's 30/month, not 19, and although the one is limited to the Defy for it, it has unlimited everything and includes exceptional wifi.

The best part is that it's CDMA.

Best Tanks:
Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I have been using RW for about 3 months now. The wifi service is great and the sprint network around here is good enough. I'm at ~70% wifi usage though so its not a big deal.

The Defy was my first smart phone. I realize its older and not as fancy, but until then I had lived with a flip phone so its just fine for me. I don't need my handheld device to do everything under the sun and more. I need a phone. It does get a little quirky from time to time, but its $20 a month so there is no way I'd complain.

BTW, they also are still doing the free month referral (both parties get $20 off their bill). So if you are interested, you can PM one of the people who are using RW and get some cash off your first bill. I would prefer people not post referral links.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

I want to post a new thread for this, but I think that may not be very classy. So I will update this one.

Republic Wireless has now released their Moto X.

I posted something similar on another forum, basically asking about peoples experience with the X.

I just ordered mine from them. I know the SG4 and the HTC One perform better in a straight line, just performance- but a lot of reviews say the X is an all around better performer.

It makes sense, a phone designed to be truly used for every day life rather than just putting a giant processor in and that being that. Not saying a big processor is bad, rather why use it when one rarely needs it? Kind of like why I got the 3.7 instead of the 5.0- I could never even convince myself I would need 400 horsepower, 300 does just fine- I will use the mileage every day, all the time. Why get a quad core giant power plant when I won't be editing photo/video or doing 5 tasks all at once on the device at the same time- when it works so well to do the daily functions, and still is great with web browsing and the usual internet stuff.

I am not all hopped up on the Moto X, I am interested in learning how/why it is good, bad, ugly, or experience with the company. I have had no issues, but that's me.

If anyone is on the fence, or is considering them, make sure you do take advantage of the $19 credit on your bill- I get the same credit on my bill, too.

Referral link for both of us to get the $19 credit. PM me for the link.

If you do want to sign up, and not get the $19 credit, just don't PM me.

These two articles are what I am talking about with the Moto X:
PhoneScoop
Moto X better than SGS4?

What do you think?

Best Tanks:
Old 11-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You guys should definitely check out Ting is you are looking for cheaper cell phone service.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
both of those are sprint based networks, and won't work here. I use cspire which is 75/mo for full unlimited.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I use a piece of crap Tracfone. A $20 card lasts for 90 days of service.

So that is around $ 7 a month.

If someone calls and i know it will be a long call, i call them back using Google Voice from the computer which is free.

Also WiFi

How's that for cheap ? Anything cheaper ?

Last edited by Cd; 11-30-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread