EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New to the site (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-site-21089.html)

anotherls 03-21-2012 09:47 PM

New to the site

I have been lurking for about 2 months now doing different things to my car to help out. I drive about 110 miles a day round trip for work so every last drop of fuel counts. I am getting around 40mpgs right now with just changing my driving habits and putting some more air in the tires. The car is an automatic so that does not help. The latest thing I have done is removed the power steering pump belt to see if it would be beneficial to remove it altogether. Also I bought another upper gril off ebay, and plan on fiberglassing it smooth to reduce drag by a little. I am also planning on some underbelly pans especially in the rear, as the rear bumper is like a parachute on this thing. Any advice would be much appreciated.

California98Civic 03-21-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherls (Post 294898)
I have been lurking for about 2 months now doing different things to my car to help out. I drive about 110 miles a day round trip for work so every last drop of fuel counts. I am getting around 40mpgs right now with just changing my driving habits and putting some more air in the tires. The car is an automatic so that does not help. The latest thing I have done is removed the power steering pump belt to see if it would be beneficial to remove it altogether. Also I bought another upper gril off ebay, and plan on fiberglassing it smooth to reduce drag by a little. I am also planning on some underbelly pans especially in the rear, as the rear bumper is like a parachute on this thing. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome! A "chin spoiler" (aka "air dam") can be made with black lawn edging quite easily. And an Ultra Gauge is a good addition to the facotry MPG gauge. See if your model can be flat towed (call dealer) because if it can then you will have the option of cutting the engine and coasting in neutral occasionally, when the road is clear and its safe! Racking up miles while burning no fuel really helps the averages. I run my tire pressure much higher than you. It makes for a rougher ride but it reduces rolling resistance significantly.

larrybuck 03-21-2012 11:16 PM

I looked up your vehicle code laws to see what it had to say about outside mirrors.

The lawyer type talk was hard to understand. You might want to downsize the drivers outside mirror, if you have a pass. side one, you could do a delete!

Was sorry to read that the use of NOS not allowed on public roads in Nebraska!

Welcome to the fun here. Use the search mode in the upper left for quick finds of subject matter.

anotherls 03-22-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrybuck (Post 294922)
I looked up your vehicle code laws to see what it had to say about outside mirrors.

The lawyer type talk was hard to understand. You might want to downsize the drivers outside mirror, if you have a pass. side one, you could do a delete!

Was sorry to read that the use of NOS not allowed on public roads in Nebraska!

Welcome to the fun here. Use the search mode in the upper left for quick finds of subject matter.

Thanks for the info, I have been lurking here for a while but noticed I could not access everything and that is why I joined. I will look into deleting the passenger mirror and getting a smaller drivers mirror as I am always in the far right lane on the interstate. The speed limit is 75 and I go 65 so even the semis blow past me. I dont mind though it takes me less that 10 min extra to get to work at nets me somewhere between 3-5 extra mpgs

larrybuck 03-22-2012 10:08 PM

If you hit the search in upper left for Are you visible, and getting the bird at onramps,

you can make plans to protect your rear, and your mind sharp for dealing with whoever.

California98Civic 03-23-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrybuck (Post 295168)
and getting the bird at onramps, you can make plans to protect your rear, and your mind sharp for dealing with whoever.

For sharpening that mind for its encounters with "the bird at onramps," here's some required reading for all hypermilers:

The Field Guide to the North American Bird [Book]

Here is a pic of the cover:

http://bookcoverarchive.com/images/b...bird.large.jpg

:D