Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 9

TDI - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
90 day: 55.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the site

I have been lurking for about 2 months now doing different things to my car to help out. I drive about 110 miles a day round trip for work so every last drop of fuel counts. I am getting around 40mpgs right now with just changing my driving habits and putting some more air in the tires. The car is an automatic so that does not help. The latest thing I have done is removed the power steering pump belt to see if it would be beneficial to remove it altogether. Also I bought another upper gril off ebay, and plan on fiberglassing it smooth to reduce drag by a little. I am also planning on some underbelly pans especially in the rear, as the rear bumper is like a parachute on this thing. Any advice would be much appreciated.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 6,059

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,285
Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherls View Post
I have been lurking for about 2 months now doing different things to my car to help out. I drive about 110 miles a day round trip for work so every last drop of fuel counts. I am getting around 40mpgs right now with just changing my driving habits and putting some more air in the tires. The car is an automatic so that does not help. The latest thing I have done is removed the power steering pump belt to see if it would be beneficial to remove it altogether. Also I bought another upper gril off ebay, and plan on fiberglassing it smooth to reduce drag by a little. I am also planning on some underbelly pans especially in the rear, as the rear bumper is like a parachute on this thing. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Welcome! A "chin spoiler" (aka "air dam") can be made with black lawn edging quite easily. And an Ultra Gauge is a good addition to the facotry MPG gauge. See if your model can be flat towed (call dealer) because if it can then you will have the option of cutting the engine and coasting in neutral occasionally, when the road is clear and its safe! Racking up miles while burning no fuel really helps the averages. I run my tire pressure much higher than you. It makes for a rougher ride but it reduces rolling resistance significantly.
__________________
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
larrybuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sw Washington (state), a little north of Vancouver
Posts: 1,043
Thanks: 277
Thanked 77 Times in 60 Posts
I looked up your vehicle code laws to see what it had to say about outside mirrors.

The lawyer type talk was hard to understand. You might want to downsize the drivers outside mirror, if you have a pass. side one, you could do a delete!

Was sorry to read that the use of NOS not allowed on public roads in Nebraska!

Welcome to the fun here. Use the search mode in the upper left for quick finds of subject matter.
__________________
NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 9

TDI - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
90 day: 55.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
I looked up your vehicle code laws to see what it had to say about outside mirrors.

The lawyer type talk was hard to understand. You might want to downsize the drivers outside mirror, if you have a pass. side one, you could do a delete!

Was sorry to read that the use of NOS not allowed on public roads in Nebraska!

Welcome to the fun here. Use the search mode in the upper left for quick finds of subject matter.
Thanks for the info, I have been lurking here for a while but noticed I could not access everything and that is why I joined. I will look into deleting the passenger mirror and getting a smaller drivers mirror as I am always in the far right lane on the interstate. The speed limit is 75 and I go 65 so even the semis blow past me. I dont mind though it takes me less that 10 min extra to get to work at nets me somewhere between 3-5 extra mpgs
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
larrybuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sw Washington (state), a little north of Vancouver
Posts: 1,043
Thanks: 277
Thanked 77 Times in 60 Posts
If you hit the search in upper left for Are you visible, and getting the bird at onramps,

you can make plans to protect your rear, and your mind sharp for dealing with whoever.
__________________
NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 6,059

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,285
Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
and getting the bird at onramps, you can make plans to protect your rear, and your mind sharp for dealing with whoever.
For sharpening that mind for its encounters with "the bird at onramps," here's some required reading for all hypermilers:

The Field Guide to the North American Bird [Book]

Here is a pic of the cover:




__________________
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.



  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com