Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Get into the groove! less emmission

I was looking up air tubulance from the air cleaner to intake manifold trying to decide if if this is a worth while mod on non aspirated cars (love my turbo's and know it works on them).

Any one come across this idea of the groove, ground into the combustion chamber of a head?

It promises a cleaner burn extra H/P, less emission!

SOMENDER-SINGH.com - Home

It allows the fuel to burn futher away from the spark on flat to semi flat head

Personally working in the engine reco industry, i see it working for hight top semi/dome pistons. Or flat to semi flat heads with a flat top piston. Not so much on a turbo'ed/blown engine with decompression pistons(depending on the head casting).

Remember gridining out will decrease the compression ratio so you may need to shave the head/block to compensate.

Anyone tried this? Seen or heard off?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
It was fancy news back in the day, but I dont know anyone who has done it. Hondas dont have the quench space so I never spent the time cannabalizing an engine just to try it out.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
There has been discussion about grooving heads. If you poke around a bit on google or maybe even here you can find a paper written by a guy who did some testing with a Geo Metro engine. The change isn't drastic, but it is worth looking into if you are going to be rebuilding a head. Of course, if you have a 4 valve per cylinder engine, like SVOboy said, you likely don't have anything to groove.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Singh grooves have become popular with performance engine builders because they promote low-RPM torque.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The first thing i did on this site when i found it was to look up "65+ Efficiency Mods" then straight into "100+ Hypermiling Tips". Amazed, wondered, wow.

How about a "65/100+ Mods, Known Not to do much".

It may stop noob's like me from bringing up old tried and tested techniques in the forum that are known not to work or dont do much. Or someone may tackle the problem and find a better solution.

Things like fuel addatives, magnets, magic black box that stops rust, running an alternater off the wheel, the groove, drilling holes through the piston top to the oil ring lans to improve ring expansion (drag/race/rally car only), electric forced induction fans all these for eg only.

Add a vote meter for people who have tried and tested and do these at your own risk disclaimer. Include the Skill/Fuel/Dollar meters.

It would be fun to see what people have tried and heard off to improve fuel efficiency.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
You can tell all the junk that doesn't work because it's OFF the Efficiency Mods list by default.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well that makes sense Frank, but it doesnt inform people of the junk thats out there. Remmember tried and tested. Informed and true try it, and this is crap, dont do it. Also it dosnt stop noob's asking the same Q? all over again does this work!!

And you ecomasters ignoring us noobs (not that you have ignored me yet) cause i asked a stupid Q? Saying look it up stupid.

Really, i see a place on this site to explain, and true test all these "out there idea's" and make a list of them to let people know what is available and may work for them.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Well that makes sense Frank, but it doesnt inform people of the junk thats out there. Remmember tried and tested. Informed and true try it, and this is crap, dont do it. Also it dosnt stop noob's asking the same Q? all over again does this work!!

And you ecomasters ignoring us noobs (not that you have ignored me yet) cause i asked a stupid Q? Saying look it up stupid.

Really, i see a place on this site to explain, and true test all these "out there idea's" and make a list of them to let people know what is available and may work for them.
Just out of curiosity, is English your first language, because I can not understand what ever message you are trying to convey.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Didn't Johnny Mullet do Singh grooves on his Metro engine?
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

While we could add a lot of stuff to the list that is dubious or untrustworthy, I think that would only serve to dilute the usefulness of the list and not to inform people who have a novel interest in things that may or may not do anything.

Reply  Post New Thread