EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   A Nice Stretch (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/nice-stretch-19194.html)

Ladogaboy 10-18-2011 09:54 PM

A Nice Stretch

So, I found a nice stretch of road on my commute home (15 miles of mostly city driving total), where I can coast for almost 2 miles without touching the gas at all. Even with post-work, stop-and-go traffic, I was able to average ~ 27 mpg.

Any good stretches you've found?

Sven7 10-19-2011 10:01 PM

There are some nice hills up by Auburn Hills on I75 and also the bridge over the River Rouge where I can coast for nearly a mile. Haven't found a 2 miler yet.

Ladogaboy 10-19-2011 11:48 PM

Yeah, this stretch is pretty good because few people drive it. I need to be cognizant of bicyclists and joggers, but otherwise, the road is pretty clear. If I'm being followed by someone who looks like they want to play Gran Turismo, I just wave them by. Otherwise, once I start down the grade, I can pretty much preserve my speed at around the posted limit without touching the gas. My real-time fuel meter lists my mpg at infinite, so it really is like turning a 15-mile commute into a 13-miler.

Gasoline Fumes 10-20-2011 12:23 AM

I know of a stretch where I can coast for about four miles. But there's one short uphill section where I'll drop to about 10 MPH. It would be a longer coast if the last part wasn't a steep downhill 30 MPH zone.

320touring 10-20-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 266389)
I know of a stretch where I can coast for about four miles. But there's one short uphill section where I'll drop to about 10 MPH. It would be a longer coast if the last part wasn't a steep downhill 30 MPH zone.

I the " Steep donhill, 30MPH zone", just stick the car in 2nd and use DFCO:D

2nd should stop it gaining too much speed, and you can use the brakes to keep it to 30..plus no burning fuel

Ladogaboy 10-20-2011 09:44 PM

I finally got to follow a car down this stretch of road today. Unfortunately, because of how the person was driving, I actually did have to press the gas a couple of times (the speed coming out of a couple of corners wasn't enough to preserve momentum). What I was really surprised about was how often the person in front of me was hitting the brakes (and hard, I might add). Basically, they were gassing it just to brake before corners, but their overall pace wasn't any faster than my steady, unpowered decent.

Gasoline Fumes 10-22-2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320touring (Post 266425)
I the " Steep donhill, 30MPH zone", just stick the car in 2nd and use DFCO:D

2nd should stop it gaining too much speed, and you can use the brakes to keep it to 30..plus no burning fuel

I used to do that in 2nd or 3rd, but I find it easier to just use the brakes with the engine off. It's not steep enough to overheat the brakes. I do eventually lose the vacuum assist, but it's not a problem on the Civic. Some vehicles might be dangerous without assist. I do have to be careful not to lock the brakes when I bump start it while braking. :D

Ladogaboy 10-22-2011 10:33 AM

Yikes. I really wouldn't recommend running a car without a vacuum to the brakes.

larrybuck 10-23-2011 04:35 PM

The best long stretch in my memory is westbound on I-90 in western Montana.

After a summit climb, there's a fast 3-4 miles downhill approaching Butte, MT.

Other mentions would be the Grapevine in CA., Cabbage Hill just eastward of Pendleton, OR., and 2 places in western NC.: Old Fort mountain east of Asheville, and a sister mountain that descends toward South Carolina.

Someone should make up a book of these great downhills, so we could go and visit, enjoy as a tourist; sort of an adult Eco-Modder live video game to be enjoyed like a carnival ride!!!

larrybuck 10-23-2011 04:36 PM

The best long stretch in my memory is westbound on I-90 in western Montana.

After a summit climb, there's a fast 3-4 miles downhill approaching Butte, MT.

Other mentions would be the Grapevine in CA., Cabbage Hill just eastward of Pendleton, OR., and 2 places in western NC.: Old Fort mountain east of Asheville, and a sister mountain that descends toward South Carolina.

Someone should make up a book of these great downhills, so we could go and visit, enjoy as a tourist; sort of an adult Eco-Modder live video game to be enjoyed like a carnival ride!!!