EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Not so fast you tofu-eatin' organic hippie hipster, y'all need to pull over... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/not-so-fast-you-tofu-eatin-organic-hippie-26008.html)

botsapper 05-29-2013 01:11 PM

Not so fast you tofu-eatin' organic hippie hipster, y'all need to pull over...

and pay mo' for those drum-banging bunny cars!

Hybrid car drivers could pay additional fee in North Carolina - News 14

fusion210 05-29-2013 02:28 PM

Stupid backwards legislation. We already have to pay yearly property tax on our cars.

I would think with seemingly every 8/10 vehicles I see on my commute being an suv/truck they'd already have enough tax revenue!

A number of years ago there were harsh water restrictions. Everyone used less water, their revenue went down and this resulted in us being charged some bs fees to make up for their loss. Ugh.

Gealii 05-29-2013 02:52 PM

time to BUILD an ev if you live there?

gone-ot 05-29-2013 05:02 PM

...I'd say it's time to REPLACE those southern "good'ole'boy" plantation politicians with people with BRAINS instead of open pockets!

Piwoslaw 07-16-2013 04:44 PM

They're gonna track down EcoModder members and tax them too...

P-hack 07-16-2013 04:58 PM

It makes sense that folks who use the road should pay for the road (in proportion to the wear and tear that their vehicle makes). That wear and tear is independent of fuel use though, but good luck fixing taxes. $50/year is probably less than the fuel taxes saved, a pure EV pays nothing for using the road.

road infrastructure tax should be based on usage, vehicle weight, # of tires, that sort of thing. People have gotten into trouble for making their own biodiesel/ethanol and not paying a fuel tax. The tax laws are pretty ridiculous all around, but the sophistication to make it simple is a long way off. So they generalize a lot.

I suppose they can check when you sell or junk a vehicle to see if you have been honest about your miles, or during annual inspections. Plus some form to replace an odo/dashboard. Gas usage was a lot simpler to implement. The extra toll for my lightweight trailer behind my prius is unbelievable. It is charged as a medium truck, going from $0.95 to $2.25 in some spots.

cbaber 07-16-2013 05:12 PM

This law is the opposite of the federal gas guzzler tax. In my opinion it isn't right to tax certain vehicles differently based on it's fuel economy or drivetrain. Vehicle weight is a big factor as far as road use and infrastructure is concerned, but fuel economy or whether it is electric or hybrid seems irrelevant.

Just like the gas guzzler tax, this hybrid tax is nothing but politicians trying to impose their agenda on a free people. I can understand everyone who uses the road needing to pay their fair share, but deciding how much based on fuel economy is not good policy. A better plan would be to revise the way NC residents pay taxes for infrastructure.

P-hack 07-16-2013 05:29 PM

but big revisions are so much harder to get through than adding something like this, while trying to pay the bills in the meantime (regardless how frugal a shopper you are) and they are "losing" money with every hybrid and ev.

shovel 07-17-2013 02:31 AM

I may have an unpopular opinion here but I think infrastructure should be paid by everyone - even if you don't have a car, the society from which you benefit still travels on roads. The food at the grocery store gets there on roads, everything in every store gets there on roads, everything you order online gets to you on roads, your customers and coworkers get to where commerce can take place, on roads.. it truly is a shared resource and it's not really possible to escape the benefits of commerce

I'm more annoyed by tax dodgers than by taxes. Tax dodging freeloaders are why the rest of us pay too much.

MPGranger 07-17-2013 08:10 AM

ok Karl, calm down. Have you ever thought that the big old truck that brought your groceries paid the taxes on the way over. Or how about the employees paying the taxes that are set up. And that the store will be passing those taxes to you by the way of price inflation? Finding a way to tax people who are not significantly contributing to the problem is the topic of this thread.

And if you are annoyed by tax dodgers, what is your feeling on international corporations? Bank of America, Verizon, etc etc. They routinely owe no taxes or even have the Federal government pay them. The real issue is complexity in the tax system. Then you need to hire specialized people to find your no tax loopholes and the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. A very simple universal flat tax on all goods and all services taxes everyone from the poorest individual to the richest corporation equally and impartially. But at the same time the poor do not contribute as much as the rich because the rich buy more things that are more expensive.

That would never happen, too much BS would be called and there would be a lot of egg on a lot of faces. Can anyone tell I am a Libertarian? I find it amazing that the Ancient Jews were able to run a government and a religion off of a 10% tax.