EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Events & Meet-ups (https://ecomodder.com/forum/events-meet-ups.html)
-   -   Ohio/Pennsylvania gather? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ohio-pennsylvania-gather-3891.html)

Johnny Mullet 07-17-2008 10:16 PM

Ohio/Pennsylvania gather?

UPDATE
Our chosen date will be Sunday September 14TH 2008 at Pymatuning State Park in Andover, OH/Jamestown, PA area. I will reserve a pavilion and supply burgers, dogs, and drinks. The meet will not be canceled if it rains, so put your damn wipers back on! Alcohol is not permitted on the park land. After the meet, I thought about going to the Drive-In theater, but unfortunately, it closes 1st week of September.

If any Ohio/PA ecomodders are interested, we could have some fun before the weather gets bad. Maybe even some South Western New Yorkers or WV members could also join up.

Anyway, if any of you are interested, let's discuss it here.
Here is a map for some of you. You enter in the Ohio side at the Main Park entrance on Pymatuning Lake Road and follow the road through all the rental cabins all the way to the boat launch area. There is a pavilion there. If you end up at the stop sign back on Pymatuning Lake Road, you went too far.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...tf/mapohio.gif

Here is a hand drawn map...............
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3.../mulletmap.jpg

Look for the Main Park entrance which is south of the Main Beach and south of the Fishing Point on Pymatuning Lake Road. The main Park entrance will have a sign and here is are actual photos.........

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...atuning014.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...atuning016.jpg

It's hard to see the main entrance, but there are signs and it's just south of Gibbs Rd and North Lane.

Here are local campgrounds with rental cabins, campsites, RV spots, etc........

Lake Village Campgrounds

Pymatuning State Park

Bayshore Campgrounds

Complete list of campgrounds

If you need a Hotel, the closest place would be about 20 miles north of the park in Conneaut, Ohio right off of Interstate 90 on the RT 7 exit.

Days Inn Conneaut, Ohio

You should have no problem finding these locations and all telephone #'s are posted in the links so you can make your reservations.

We will meet at the pavilion anytime between 8:00AM and 9:00AM and hang till about 3:00PM. We will start doing lunch around 12:00 and afterward, I say we go on our "Official 1st Annual Great Lakes Ecomodder Fun Run" and leave the pavilion area at 3:00PM and head North to Conneaut, Ohio and go to another park on the lakeshore there where we can then part our ways from there after an hour or so. Of course, some of us may stay at the Lake Village Campgrounds and hang there after the run.

I think it would be awesome to have a line of Ecomodders driving north on RT 7 heading for the lake at 55MPH :) This would be about a 25 mile trip north.

I never expected such a large interest in this so if some of you would like to add to the fun by bringing more drinks, food, etc, it would be much appreciated. There is a close-by grocery store if you do not want to travel with food also.

Here are photos of the pavilion area on the lake................

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...atuning004.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...atuning005.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...atuning007.jpg

meemooer 07-17-2008 11:05 PM

i'd consider it. Just depends on the date and location

RacerX 07-18-2008 12:32 AM

I'd consider it also.....the date is the biggie for me.

Johnny Mullet 07-18-2008 06:29 AM

How about Sunday August 17th at Andover, Ohio. It's only about 50 miles for me, but if we choose this location, I can have everything taken care of and supply the BBQ and refreshments and host the meet myself and be there from morning till night. If we choose another location, that would be up to whoever wants to do it.

Sunday is a good day because most people are off work and Saturdays are kinda busy for most. This also give those who live farther away a chance to leave early enough so they can get set for work the next day unless they want to go see a movie or 2 at the Drive-In theater.

If August is too soon, we can postpone till September 14th which would be after the Summer Season and easier for those who have a busy August.

RacerX 07-18-2008 03:17 PM

I'll be in New York from the 15th to 18th..

Johnny Mullet 07-19-2008 07:15 AM

September 14TH would seem more plausible to me. If we get about 10 people interested, I say we go for it.

Will 07-19-2008 07:19 AM

It would be really cool to start regional meetings...

RacerX 07-20-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet (Post 45543)
September 14TH would seem more plausible to me. If we get about 10 people interested, I say we go for it.

That seems good.....I'll check my calendar at work on Monday/Tuesday..

bottonavy 07-20-2008 04:25 PM

That's a good idea, I'll have to check my work schedule. I was out that way earlier in the year for a car parts/swap meet I think it was in Canfield. My father always goes for the cheap car parts.
Maybe if this shows enough interest their cold be some type of car show and parts-o-rama. But, let's see how the meet and greet goes.

Johnny Mullet 07-21-2008 11:46 AM

I updated the original post with the set date and a couple maps. Hope to get enough people interested. This will just be a casual meet/gather to get to meet some of our ecomodder friends and their rides.

Johnny Mullet 07-21-2008 09:16 PM

I cleared it with my wife and she said, and I quote..................

"You can have your Nerd-fest 2008 if you like." :)

XFi 07-26-2008 01:51 PM

Depending on my work schedule, I may make the drive out. :turtle:

Coyote X 07-26-2008 09:06 PM

I don't think I will be willing to trust my metro to go that distance so soon after being built but I will probably show up on my bike if there is somewhere to camp the night before. It is a 6 hour ride to go straight home so I would probably leave around 4 or 5 and head home. Probably take the long way getting there so I figure 2 days riding getting there, avoiding pavement as much as possible and staying on dirt roads. So If there is somewhere good to camp that Sat night nearby with a shower that would be great. Anyone near enough the area willing to help me reserve a spot?

What time were you starting and ending for the day? Won't do me much good to leave at 5 if you were starting at 6 :)

Johnny Mullet 07-26-2008 09:23 PM

I will be there early in the morning and not leave until late. There are plenty of fine campgrounds all over this area. I just went camping last week on a primitive spot with electric and water for 15 bucks. There are good showers there also with hot water! There is also some camping available right at the State Park if you want to rent a cabin or something, but being September, I would have to check. Worst-case scenario, I have an acre of land and a few tents right here at home if need be.

If anyone needs directions or any kind of help to make this gathering, simply reply here or send me a PM and we can discuss it via telephone or whatever. I will supply food and refreshments for the meet.

RacerX 07-28-2008 10:40 PM

I'm in !

bbjsw10 07-28-2008 11:50 PM

I am definately thinking about coming, 4 hour drive one way. But the nice thing about that is my wife wants to visit her grandma's grave in Chicora. Which would be kinda close from there. Gonna have to get on the ball and get the metro all finished up.

Coyote X 07-29-2008 12:48 AM

Anyone want to help me get reservations for a good camp site for that Saturday night? I have no idea what is in that area and someone who is close by could probably get a good spot for me that I could never find on my own :)

Johnny Mullet 07-29-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote X (Post 48646)
Anyone want to help me get reservations for a good camp site for that Saturday night? I have no idea what is in that area and someone who is close by could probably get a good spot for me that I could never find on my own :)

I will set you up with a reserved spot. The same spot I had a few weeks ago.

metroschultz 07-29-2008 12:02 PM

I'm in, my wife told me it would be O.K.
We will rent a cabin in the park, (there are still many available for that weekend).
Come in on Sat, leave on Monday.
See you there.
S.

metroschultz 07-29-2008 01:04 PM

Some info

I just left the Pymatuning State Park website

Pymatuning State Park

Lots of info
but if you want to stay there

Basic Cabin, sleeps 4 persons= $152.98 Sat & Sun (min 2 night stay)
Family Cabin, sleeps 6 persons= $208.98 Sat & Sun
That includes taxes and fees
The premium Cabin is already reserved

And lots and lots of campsites

Now lets get Back to JM with some definite attendance numbers.
TTFN
S.

Hacksaw 07-29-2008 07:02 PM

It would be 258 mile and a 4.75 hour drive for me...
I'm considering it, but I don't want to commit because the gas prices...lol

Johnny Mullet 07-29-2008 08:09 PM

There is also a nearby campground that has campers and sites for rent. The campers are like $40.00 per night at this campsite located nearby. I will get all the links up tonight.

Johnny Mullet 07-29-2008 08:50 PM

First post updated with links for lodging so you can make your reservations for the meet!

RacerX 07-29-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 48894)
It would be 258 mile and a 4.75 hour drive for me...
I'm considering it, but I don't want to commit because the gas prices...lol

What??? That's only a half a tank of gas. LOL :D

Johnny Mullet 07-29-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacerX (Post 48950)
What??? That's only a half a tank of gas. LOL :D

So it's a full tank round trip. That's like $30.00 :thumbup:

bbjsw10 07-29-2008 10:30 PM

So how many are going for sure, I know Johnny that is a no brainer, then Metroschultz, RacerX, Coyote X, and possibles Bottonavy, Will, Meemooer, Xfi.

I am hopin to get the 15th off just so I don't have to hurry too much. We need more definates for Johnny's sake. He is going out of his way to put this together.

Johnny Mullet 07-29-2008 10:40 PM

I am thinking if 10 show up it would be a decent turnout for a site with a fairly new start. I'm not really going out of my way that much. I enjoy going to this vacation area and enjoy the lake. Ain't that much trouble to fire up the charcoal and grill up some grub. The wife said she was going to make her famous macaroni salad also :)

Just to verify for those going, I will be there from like 8:00 AM and will stay all day long. I do not have a cell phone (never needed one), but plan on borrowing one for that day in case any of you get lost and will post the # a few days before the meet.

bikin' Ed 07-30-2008 08:49 AM

Hopeful

I really hope that I can join all of you. It kinda depends on my wife's surgery schedule. She should be having it about that time and would need me around for the first week or so.

Since I'd like to make a good impression, would it be better to ride my bicycle or drive the pick up if the new grille block is finished? It's only about 65-70 miles so it's not that long ride or that much gas.

metroschultz 07-30-2008 12:45 PM

Allllrighty then.
My only hurdle left is getting time off from work.
I don't see any issues on the horizon, but lets not count the Geos before they're hatched.
Today I started thrashing on the Metro.
I really want to drive it to Ohio.
I've even conviced My wife it is the Car for the ride.
See you in Sept.
S.

Johnny Mullet 07-30-2008 08:30 PM

If you do not feel safe taking your vehicle that you rely on for MPG savings, then don't. It would be nice to see all the cars, but we are really people here on a forum and if a few of us get to know each other a little, it's better for the entire community.

This is still some time away, so people will have time to make arrangements. I will probably have to come up with a few activities or something also. Maybe horseshoes and a few other ideas.

bbjsw10 07-30-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet (Post 49361)
I will probably have to come up with a few activities or something also. Maybe horseshoes and a few other ideas.

Is this park considered Ohio or PA? I have an Ohio fishing license is there fishing there at the lake? Or we could see who's Metro will jump the lake. ;) :D

Coyote X 07-30-2008 09:07 PM

I got a camping spot reserved at the park so if anyone wants to camp nearby I am at site #19

Johnny Mullet 07-30-2008 09:11 PM

This location is in Ohio and the lake will be 20 feet from our pavilion, so be sure to bring the rod and reel if you have an Ohio license. If you have a PA Fishing license, I don't think that's an issue on a lake that is half in PA and half in Ohio. There are also places to get bait and stuff also. There are walking trails there at the same location where we will be and much more!

I am going to head down there this weekend and snap a few pics of the park entrance and the pavilion area so everyone will know how to find it.

bbjsw10 07-30-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote X (Post 49386)
I got a camping spot reserved at the park so if anyone wants to camp nearby I am at site #19

What day you going in? Was it $24/night just making sure and trying to talk wifey into it. I was thinking come in on Saturday looks like 3pm check-in and leave on Sunday. By the looks of it gonna be Geopalooza 2008. :)

RacerX 07-30-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjsw10 (Post 49406)
What day you going in? Was it $24/night just making sure and trying to talk wifey into it. I was thinking come in on Saturday looks like 3pm check-in and leave on Sunday. By the looks of it gonna be Geopalooza 2008. :)

Geopalooza....LOL That's great !....Before you said that I was thinkin something like the "Mullet Bash '08" But I think Geopalooza sounds better:thumbup:

Johnny Mullet 07-30-2008 10:39 PM

"Mullet Bash"? I think I could take all of you combined. LOL!

Well, I think there are owners of other vehicles coming also, or at least I hope so. My wife came up with "NerdFest 2008", but I don't consider us all nerds!

BTW, the Lake Village Campground (10 mi. north of meet) spots for a campground are like $15.00 and rental campers are about $50.00 per night. Call them up and get a quote. There is also a nearby grocery store, gas station, fast food joints, etc nearby.

Coyote X 07-30-2008 11:20 PM

I reserved sat and sunday night I am not sure if I am going to stay sunday night but depending on my class schedule I will either leave at 5-6 sunday or stay till monday morning. So that lets me keep my tent and junk at the campsite all day sunday without having to pack it up if I don't want to either way.

I think it was $54 total for the 2 days, there was a reservation fee stuck in there somewhere. I went to premium sites picked tent and without map to see a big list of spots available. The nearby spots all looked like they were available so if you want to camp near me just look at the with map option and it should show a good layout. I will almost definitely be riding my bike, I really don't think my metro is up to a 6 hour drive just yet. But if I get a lot of miles on itreal quick and it runs great I might just bring it. I don't see that happening though, it has only moved 15 feet in the last couple of weeks since I am trying to get some construction work done before school starts back up.

metroschultz 07-31-2008 12:02 AM

Metro gets fixed either way

It is not whether or not She will make it,
In current form,
With over 200K on the clock,
burning oil
as well as leaving it on the road
I know she would make the trip.
I would be a basket case when I get there.
My original plan is to bring the Avalon,
I Want (insert whiny teenager voice here) to bring the Geo.
This is the kick in the pants I needed to get this work done.
If I'm satisfied with the repairs, Metro to Ohio it is.
If I am still not happy with it, we bring the Avalon.
I have sat on my A$$ too long with these issues and now is a good time to resolve them.
GeoPalooza or bust
S.

metroschultz 07-31-2008 01:35 AM

GeoPalooza it is.
I used that moniker when one of the guys at work asked me why I wanted the 14th & 15th of Sept. off.
GeoPalooza I told him
Hadn't you heard? All the Metros in the country that can make it gather in Ohio for it every year.
He believed me till one of the others realized I was messin' with him and told him I was pulling his leg.
Fun though.
S.

Hacksaw 07-31-2008 04:51 AM

Sounds like some "GeoPalooza 2008" T-Shirts would be in-order...I'd be inclined to go for a t-shirt! lol

I'd trust my Metro to take me anywhere, however near or far. In all my 40 years, it's been the newest car I've had...isn't that sad?