EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   One more wacky project! ('04 Dodge Intrepid, modified 1500cc Saab V4 + RWD) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/one-more-wacky-project-04-dodge-intrepid-modified-26482.html)

V4 Intrepid 07-25-2013 02:50 AM

One more wacky project! ('04 Dodge Intrepid, modified 1500cc Saab V4 + RWD)

I have been building high mileage vehicles for years mostly back in the late 70s and early 80s.

I've done a Miller cycle engines on a Datsun 1200 and achieve 67 miles a gallon normal freeway driving. It was running with 14:1 compression ratio, a custom cam for Delong out of San Jose California. Fiat 600 carburetor and a modified intake manifold.

I've done 100 mile a gallon carburetor deal on a 1973 Dodge Monaco running a 400 in.³ engine on vaporized gasoline. This card did achieve 42 miles per gallon, but had horrible drivability and backfired all the time due to the non-homogenous fuel mixture thing put into the engine.

Super Birds and Daytona Chargers set up for high-speed the got reasonably good fuel economy for their power. The maximum speed for my street Super Bird was 183 mph. I could get over 14 miles a gallon at 100 mph.

My son and I have a new project, a 2004 Dodge Intrepid powered by a highly modified Vapor/Miller cycle 1500cc Saab V4, running a reardrive set up through a Ford C4 transmission to a Ford 8 inch rear end running 2.76 gears. The reason we went through the trouble to put a Ford Mustang II front suspension is to give us increase flexibility on our motor, transmission/drivetrain, and gearing combinations choices for future experiments.

We have the lightest wheel and tire combination (late-model Mustang spare wheels and nice steel belted radials)

We're also drastically modifying the front, rear and the underside of the car for superior aerodynamics.

Reason we chose a Dodge Intrepid, is because it is a relatively inexpensive six passenger sedan that has awesome dynamics to start with. And to prove that six passenger sedans can be aerodynamic and efficient also.

My son and I appreciate all of you guys and gals with your technical data that helps people like us make decisions on our project.

Being an aerospace engineer my son and I always try to justify our decisions on sound engineering principles.

Again thanks for the help, Craig

MetroMPG 07-25-2013 11:01 AM

Welcome to the site, Craig.

Hope you'll keep us updated on your progress... and post photos!

Darin

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-26-2013 05:01 AM

That's really an unusual setup. It's already not so usual to see V4 engines in cars, altough a few ones are still available in motorcycles and outboard motors, and altough nowadays even the Impala features a 4-pot it's not usual to see any engine under 2-litre into an American full-size sedan. And considering the Saab engine is gonna be about 50% the displacement of the stock Intrepid's engine, it would be even more impressive if it doesn't feel underpowered. I also like the idea about converting it to RWD.