Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile One more wacky project! ('04 Dodge Intrepid, modified 1500cc Saab V4 + RWD)

I have been building high mileage vehicles for years mostly back in the late 70s and early 80s.

I've done a Miller cycle engines on a Datsun 1200 and achieve 67 miles a gallon normal freeway driving. It was running with 14:1 compression ratio, a custom cam for Delong out of San Jose California. Fiat 600 carburetor and a modified intake manifold.

I've done 100 mile a gallon carburetor deal on a 1973 Dodge Monaco running a 400 in.³ engine on vaporized gasoline. This card did achieve 42 miles per gallon, but had horrible drivability and backfired all the time due to the non-homogenous fuel mixture thing put into the engine.

Super Birds and Daytona Chargers set up for high-speed the got reasonably good fuel economy for their power. The maximum speed for my street Super Bird was 183 mph. I could get over 14 miles a gallon at 100 mph.

My son and I have a new project, a 2004 Dodge Intrepid powered by a highly modified Vapor/Miller cycle 1500cc Saab V4, running a reardrive set up through a Ford C4 transmission to a Ford 8 inch rear end running 2.76 gears. The reason we went through the trouble to put a Ford Mustang II front suspension is to give us increase flexibility on our motor, transmission/drivetrain, and gearing combinations choices for future experiments.

We have the lightest wheel and tire combination (late-model Mustang spare wheels and nice steel belted radials)

We're also drastically modifying the front, rear and the underside of the car for superior aerodynamics.

Reason we chose a Dodge Intrepid, is because it is a relatively inexpensive six passenger sedan that has awesome dynamics to start with. And to prove that six passenger sedans can be aerodynamic and efficient also.

My son and I appreciate all of you guys and gals with your technical data that helps people like us make decisions on our project.

Being an aerospace engineer my son and I always try to justify our decisions on sound engineering principles.

Again thanks for the help, Craig

The Following User Says Thank You to V4 Intrepid For This Useful Post:
t vago (07-25-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Welcome to the site, Craig.

Hope you'll keep us updated on your progress... and post photos!

Darin
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
That's really an unusual setup. It's already not so usual to see V4 engines in cars, altough a few ones are still available in motorcycles and outboard motors, and altough nowadays even the Impala features a 4-pot it's not usual to see any engine under 2-litre into an American full-size sedan. And considering the Saab engine is gonna be about 50% the displacement of the stock Intrepid's engine, it would be even more impressive if it doesn't feel underpowered. I also like the idea about converting it to RWD.

Reply  Post New Thread