EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Oof-Da! Canadians just as ignorant as Duhmericans (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/oof-da-canadians-just-ignorant-duhmericans-29319.html)

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 03:31 PM

Oof-Da! Canadians just as ignorant as Duhmericans

I used to think of Canada as "USA Lite" but...

AOL.com Article - Canada woman stops for ducks; guilty in 2 deaths

Geesh- the Brits aren't any better.

Cobb 06-23-2014 04:43 PM

I mowed down 2 geese that were not moving from my path and got a warning from Henri co county. I got a lecture too, but I didnt think wild life was as valuable as a cat or dog? :thumbup:

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 04:52 PM

You are thumb-upping why? :confused:

MetroMPG 06-23-2014 04:57 PM

Terrible situation all around.

For the woman for foolishly stopping her car in a highway lane where she shouldn't have, and for him (and his daughter) for not paying attention (not helped by traveling well over the posted limit).

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 05:16 PM

Agreed.

I'm just astonished at how many people think they should be allowed to mow down anything in their paths because they are on a highway. The laws clearly state you must be able to avoid hitting things in your path. If that means doing the speed limit or even less due to conditions, that's what it means. If that means you actually have to pull your head outta your arse when behind the wheel, that's what it means too.

ecomodded 06-23-2014 05:43 PM

i was in a near collision / car pile up for this exact reason , In Canada, I was driving down island on the 4 lane 120kmh freeway when a Stunned **** 2 cars ahead of me spots a family of ducks in her lane near the center divide and brakes hard , coming to a screeching stop , With 40 cars behind her .. The person ahead of me nails their brakes screeching to a stop , I hit my brakes hard and stop 1 ft from the car in front me , A pickup truck come to squealing stop 1ft behind me on & on & on..

The same half witted driver who killed those people is not alone , they breed.

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 05:45 PM

Who? The two on the bike? The bike's operator killed them.

ecomodded 06-23-2014 05:49 PM

I think she should get 10 years , to think about what she had done and the lifes she had taken , in her Stupidity..

2000mc 06-23-2014 05:50 PM

wouldnt be a big story if the first car stopped for a moose, but the cyclist could have hit the car the same

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 05:52 PM

Let's say the car was stopped for... oh... a baby in the road. The bike would have nailed it just the same.

2000mc 06-23-2014 05:53 PM

oh no... im thinking like frank

ecomodded 06-23-2014 05:53 PM

To bad she did not get ran over by a loaded Semi truck - It would help balance the Darwin account..

ecomodded 06-23-2014 05:55 PM

I was almost killed by a stunned ____ just like that one so my outlook is somewhat educated to her antics.

user removed 06-23-2014 05:58 PM

The wife criticized my driving 60-65 in a 70 zone yesterday. Traffic was very heavy, to the point where going 70-80 was just plain stupid. Less than two miles later when all the passing on the right, swerving through dense traffic, blasting up on traffic in front of you complete idiots, produced the inevitable result, the average speed dropped to 30 MPH in a 70 zone, when Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest reacted to ther own lack of separation strategy.

In Poquoson VDOT has signs warning of duck crossings and people don't like to see them slaughtered by the infinite conga line of MORONS.

I have had them almost plough into me swerving to avoid hitting the car in front of them and watch for that to try to stay out of Moronville.

If you can't stop in the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, as the bike rider forgot to do then you can die. What if the car in front of them had been in a head on collsiion with no warning?

regards
Mech

sheepdog 44 06-23-2014 06:08 PM

To lighten the mood: Welcome to Canada!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sekLEG8xsOs

I think the appropriate thing to do would be to pull off on the right breakdown lane, and wait till traffic clears to get those ducks. I've picked up lots of dogs in 55mph zones this way. But then, i never drive in the left lane!

ecomodded 06-23-2014 06:11 PM

She stopped for ducks ... not a head on collision .. Ducks .. she killed those people behind her for ducks..
The Courts derision is on this duck situation and not a hypothetical one.

MetroMPG 06-23-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 431541)
I was almost killed by a stunned ____ just like that one so my outlook is somewhat educated to her antics.

But you weren't killed... because you were paying attention and had left enough time/space to react! (And so was the driver behind you.)

(Not absolving the idiot who stopped.)

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 431539)
oh no... im thinking like frank

There are worse things...

user removed 06-23-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 431548)
She stopped for ducks ... not a head on collision .. Ducks .. she killed those people behind her for ducks..
The Courts derision is on this duck situation and not a hypothetical one.

So your point is the bike rider would not have to maintain separation unless there is something more serious going on. Please tell me how you expect to determine the point in severity of the on coming situation where the "this is seriously serious" threshold is reached and some alarm goes off to warn you of the impending event.

Terminal disaster anticipation assumes that warning is presenting itself constantly when operating any vehicle. Underestimating stupidity is a recipe for death and injury. There are still 100 people a day dying in the USA, most of whom did nothing "wrong" other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are still corpses.

I have posted this many times before, I could get in a wreck almost any day if I did not keep a large range of situational awareness tuned in constantly. Overly cautious, Paranoid, call it whatever you want and you will almost never be thanked for your vigilance although I have been thanked a few times by those less vigilant, the reward is I'm still here.

regards
Mech

ecomodded 06-23-2014 06:45 PM

I should never have been put in that situation and wouldn't of if the driver had avoided the ducks and not done the unthinkable and stop at hwy speed to protect them ( apparently done in both of the cases)

Stupid People kill people not cars ..

ecomodded 06-23-2014 06:45 PM

In this case with the Ducks the lady was ruled to have done a Illegal Act by the courts , She was much more guilty then a thief..

user removed 06-23-2014 06:50 PM

I'm sure that the last thought in many minds was, "I should never have been put in that situation", and they did not survive to have another thought.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 06:51 PM

I'm real close to employing the ignore feature again.

ecomodded 06-23-2014 06:58 PM

Are the Courts WRONG TO ??? ridiculous

I will leave you with your Duck love , I personally hate them..and would not eat one again..

Life in Jail ? I doubt it ..

Woman, 25, faces life in prison for stopping on highway to rescue ducklings and causing crash that killed a father and his daughter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-2-deaths.html

redneck 06-23-2014 07:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVd_cA8Ick

user removed 06-23-2014 07:19 PM

"This will not bring back my loved ones."

Quote from the widow, who was behind her husband and daughter and watched them die. Two seconds more separation would have avoided the whole event.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 07:21 PM

Funny how, suddenly, the courts are beyond reproach. As if they do it perfectly the first time, every time. Appeals and Appellate Courts shouldn't even exist, right? Oh- that argument is only convenient when you agree with the decision.

Quote:

Two seconds more separation would have avoided the whole event.
That and not speeding. Throw in some situational awareness too.

2000mc 06-23-2014 07:27 PM

ecomodded - i think your looking at the situation through the eyes of a victim, and whose fault it was. i dont think theres much to learn here, lady is a hazard and needs to live somewhere she wont ever need to drive a car.
try thinking about how to not be a victim, i dont think the deceased would truly be comforted by any punishment of her

user removed 06-23-2014 07:31 PM

I had a similar situation. I was being tailgated by a woman in a 1966 Chevelle. The car in front of me, a silver 68 GTO convertible stopped very quickly and left his rear end sticking out in the left lane of a 4 lane divided highway. Knowing I was clear in the right lane (situational awareness), I swerved over and the Chevelle slammed into the rear end of the GTO, spinning it around two complete revolutions, the impact was like an explosion.

The Chevelle slid into the grass median in the middle of the 4 lane highway. I turned at the next left into a Ford tractor dealership and told them to call the cops and an ambulance. I knew there were serious injuries. The rescue squad found the Chevelle drivers 18 month old baby up under the dash of the car.

The GTO driver was a mechanic who had just finished a brake job on the GTO and was "testing" the brakes (very poor choice of places to test). The GTO's owner was in the car with him. Although it was 40 years ago I can still close my eyes and see that wreck.

Long before child safety seats or even 911, the woman in the Chevelle ate the steering wheel.

So who was at fault?

regards
Mech

Patrick 06-23-2014 07:33 PM

IMO, most motorcyclists have no idea what their panic stopping distance is and could not perform one (without crashing) if you asked them to. Many of the in-vogue choppers have no or lousy front brakes, extending the stopping distance.

In this case, I think blame apportionment is appropriate, and I give 80% to him for not stopping, and 20% to her for stopping when she shouldn't have.

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

169.18 DRIVING RULES. Subd. 8.Following vehicle too closely. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicles and the traffic upon and the conditions of the highway.
(b) The driver of any motor vehicle drawing another vehicle, or the driver of any motor truck or bus, when traveling upon a roadway outside of a business or residence district, shall not follow within 500 feet of another vehicle. The provisions of this paragraph shall not be construed to prevent overtaking and passing nor shall the same apply upon any lane specially designated for use by motor trucks.
(c) The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow within 500 feet of an authorized emergency vehicle that is traveling in response to an emergency.
500 feet is roughly 1/10 mile. That would be plenty sufficient for a non-speeding cycle to come to a stop or change lanes. Oops- speeding and following too close, not to mention lacking situational awareness (there was a truck and trailer AHEAD of the bike that managed to avoid the car. Are bikes more maneuverable than trucks with trailers? Yes, they are).

Agreed Patrick- neither party is blameless and neither party should get all the blame.

Here's a bit on liability: http://www.all-about-car-accidents.c...-deciding-fact

http://accident-law.freeadvice.com/a...d_accident.htm
Quote:

The 'Rules of the Road'
If someone hits you from behind, it is virtually always his or her fault, *regardless of the reason you stopped. A basic rule of the road requires that you be able to stop safely if a vehicle stops ahead of you. So, as a tailing driver, if you *cannot stop in time and wind up rear-ending the vehicle in front of you, you are not driving as safely as you need to be under the circumstances.
Can't speak for CA but I'd imagine their rules are the same or similar:
Quote:

Minnesota’s basic speed law requires you to drive at a speed no faster than is reasonable under existing conditions. These include weather,
traffic and road conditions. Driving faster than the posted speed limit is illegal.

user removed 06-23-2014 07:50 PM

If they put a MORON filter at the approaches to I64 here, the road would be deserted.

I never posted that the woman driving the vehicle that stopped in the middle of the road to "save" the ducks was not stupid and negligent or that she was not criminally negligent, or that I have any great love for ducks, none of which makes the father and daughter any less DEAD. I have told police officers that they can write me all the tickets they want when I do something illegal to keep from being killed-injured, when they told me I had to sit there and have some idiot smash into my rear end stopped at a red light.

Laws apply to us all until one of us does something stupid enough to endanger the life of another, regardless of "intent". When it comes to survival or avoiding serious injury or death there is only one law that applies.

Survival

regards
Mech

nemo 06-23-2014 07:58 PM

No doubt both were in the wrong.

Quote:

Prosecutor Annie-Claude Chasse had a message for motorists.

"What we hope is that a clear message is sent to society that we do not stop on the highway for animals. It's not worth it."
Sound like someone with an ax to grind or an overly self important attitude. The time for such a message would have been before the indecent.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-23-2014 09:24 PM

Driving too close to another vehicle, one is assuming the danger. Including the dangers caused by other drivers. So, the biker was driving a clearly unsafe vehicle in a reckless way while hauling his daughter, while he could have time and space to escape from the tree-hugger ***** if he wasn't a moron.

Cobb 06-23-2014 09:25 PM

The Chevelle as was unable to control her vehicle, following too close. I did this swerve around a stopped semi and heard something hit as I was passing the trailer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 431584)
I had a similar situation. I was being tailgated by a woman in a 1966 Chevelle. The car in front of me, a silver 68 GTO convertible stopped very quickly and left his rear end sticking out in the left lane of a 4 lane divided highway. Knowing I was clear in the right lane (situational awareness), I swerved over and the Chevelle slammed into the rear end of the GTO, spinning it around two complete revolutions, the impact was like an explosion.

So who was at fault?

regards
Mech

Cobb 06-23-2014 09:25 PM

+! :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 431587)
If they put a MORON filter at the approaches to I64 here, the road would be deserted.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 06-23-2014 09:41 PM

I find it scary and worrisome that a basic Rule of the Road is being so hotly debated. Dayam, and I have to share the road with these people! :eek: :mad:

I won't park on the highway w/o flashers but by the same token if I'm stopped on or near the highway legitimately I don't want any morons doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KFKIBrzawQ

user removed 06-23-2014 09:52 PM

Made me think about the brake job my buddy was doing when I went to his shop for lunch today. New meaning for "metallic" brake pads, otherwise know as no friction material left.

But the killer was the Z car with one side of the crossmember completely detached from the unibody due to rust. Weight of the engine, steering rack mounted to the crossmember, and the lower control arm mount, with only two bolts on the other side and the transmission mount to keep all of it form falling out on the road with complete loss of alignment and any control of the car.

The customer even had the cohones to ask me to test drive it!

Or the Chevy truck that jacknifed when the front u joint failed and the prop shaft hit a seam in the concrete pavement and it jumped straight up in the air and rotated 180 degrees and slid into a ditch.

My Moron alert is on continuously.

regards
Mech

Cobb 06-23-2014 10:17 PM

The mythbusters spent quite a bit of time to get that to happen in their tests. If that happens to me, Id buy a lottery ticket. Of course I always check my propeller shafts and U joints. Dont want to go to do a screaming burn out just to snap the U and look like an azz. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 431615)
Or the Chevy truck that jacknifed when the front u joint failed and the prop shaft hit a seam in the concrete pavement and it jumped straight up in the air and rotated 180 degrees and slid into a ditch.

My Moron alert is on continuously.

regards
Mech

ecomodded 06-24-2014 12:34 AM

I am displeased with the woman that stopped as it was a inherently dangerous and a Stupid thing to do , in the end it proved to be tragic , RIP to them.
I do concede that the motorcyclist did indeed error.
He was either following to closely or did not see the already stopped car and slammed into it.
I have avoided a few high speed highway rear ends in the last second or I would of died myself , its a chance we take and not paying strict attention could cost ones life or others.

It is apparent that this biker did not have fast enough reflexes to deal with what was in store for him.