EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Oregon to Florida road trip (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/oregon-florida-road-trip-40531.html)

Phase 10-07-2022 07:15 PM

Oregon to Florida road trip

Currently driving from Portland to Florida and back in the Ioniq. Only mods are side mirror removal and rear wheel spats. Hard to tell what impact they have with head wide the whole trip and 85-90 mph highway speeds. Getting bad mpg

Currently in New Mexico.

oil pan 4 10-07-2022 09:26 PM

You on I-40?

Phase 10-07-2022 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 675480)
You on I-40?

Yeah I was on i40. Drove from page Arizona down to Gallup New Mexico then to Albuquerque but I’m staying the night in Santa Fe. Heading to Texas tomorrow

redpoint5 10-08-2022 01:05 AM

If you weren't going so fast, you could have swung by and said hi to Xist.

freebeard 10-08-2022 01:18 AM

Have you researched window tint legislation state-by-state?

Do you have to be there on time, or back on time, or both?

Phase 10-08-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 675488)
Have you researched window tint legislation state-by-state?

Do you have to be there on time, or back on time, or both?

Yeah each state varies but typically it’s based on where the car is registered. Also I think it’s usually a secondary offense.

And no I’m just cruising. I’ll be going to South Carolina too. No idea if the aero civic is still there.

Phase 10-08-2022 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Home made mini side mirror fell apart in New Mexico so now I’m driving with no mirror at all. Doesn’t matter too much since it’s just highway cruising

Also interesting flow attachment on rear wheel covers. Any nerds want tk break down the air flow at the rear?

freebeard 10-08-2022 10:15 PM

Quote:

Any nerds want tk[*] break down the air flow at the rear?
It's like reading tea leaves.

I'd speculate that there is a separation bubble at 10 o'clock (relative to axle center). It's smaller down toward 8 o'clock.

The longitudinal flow across the top generates a vortex that is drawn downward at two o'clock.

The road spray angles upward because water has more momentum than air.

*They need to fix the spell checker.

ksa8907 10-08-2022 10:37 PM

Air flow: what's interesting is you might expect the trails to be more horizontal. Perhaps there is enough low pressure attached to the ground behind the vehicle drawing the air at the side downward as well? Or is air getting sucked under the car from the side?

Phase 10-08-2022 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 675511)
Air flow: what's interesting is you might expect the trails to be more horizontal. Perhaps there is enough low pressure attached to the ground behind the vehicle drawing the air at the side downward as well? Or is air getting sucked under the car from the side?

My guess was the slight downward angles is just due to gravity. Since the road debris has more physical mass and still wants to fall down versus free floating air or smoke like you’d see in a wind tunnel