EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Over 80% Oppose Raising Gas Tax (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/over-80-oppose-raising-gas-tax-8319.html)

Funny 05-11-2009 12:31 PM

Over 80% Oppose Raising Gas Tax

"Just 10% of adults think the federal government should increase the tax on gasoline by a large amount as a way of encouraging people to buy more fuel-efficient cars, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

Eighty-one percent (81%) oppose a large tax hike for that purpose, and eight percent (8%) are undecided.

These sentiments remain largely unchanged from nearly two years when 86% said they opposed the idea of raising gas taxes by 50 cents a gallon as a result of congressional legislation that would encourage the development of more fuel-efficient cars." - Rasmussen Reports ; Monday, May 11, 2009
(Read the entire article here)

How do you guys feel about this subject? The poll questions are:

1. "I completely oppose a gas tax hike, that will not deter the auto makers from making inefficient cars, it will only hurt consumers wallets."
2. "I completely agree that raising the gas tax will make people buy more efficient vehicles, and the revenues can be used to offset other shortcomings."
3. "It is not going to effect the way I drive or buy a car, I build my own electric transportation from old gas vehicles and charge them with off-the-grid solar/wind power."

UfoTofU 05-11-2009 12:36 PM

4. I think it will make people buy more efficient vehicles. I know two people who did. However, the people who are opposed are the people who probably don't know they can own a more efficient vehicle since all anybody hears about are pricey Priuses - the below-average-income people. Instead of raising any sales taxes, which are all regressive, the federal government could legislate that cars produced in the future must be more efficient

wagonman76 05-11-2009 12:44 PM

I would be for it ONLY if there was a guarantee that the proceeds would get our roads and bridges up to good quality. Like the gas tax is supposed to be used for.

Funny 05-11-2009 12:52 PM

I am for the freedom of choices that we all have in this country. In my opinion, you cannot tell me what to do if I am not hurting anyone else. If you want to buy a gas guzzling hog of a vehicle, Great. I would not buy such a car, I have my Lemon and I am very happy with it, and wouldn't trade it for any other car right now. But to penalize everyone because you want everyone to buy an efficient vehicle is imposing your opinion and your choice on others. If you want to make a difference, like Kitaimdao said, mandate changes at the automotive manufacturing level. Kinda like catalytic converters, people complain for a while, then it quiets down. It just takes time to adjust to the change, and usually, like the catalytic converter, it's for the best.

cfg83 05-11-2009 01:13 PM

Funny -

(I like all the posts I have read)

I voted #2. We see efficient vehicles in Europe and other countries, and their fuel taxes are through the roof. We also see tax breaks for small cars in Japan, like the Kei Cars. In the current economic climate, I don't know if I would institute them right now. I have always imagined introducing a gradual gas-tax increase, i.e. a "penny-a-month" for at least 4 years (one presidential term). This would in theory allow time for auto manufacturers to respond. The idea is that you know what's coming with a guaranteed timetable. Once in place, the tax increase could also serve as a price buffer. If fuel prices increase, the tax could lower to "absorb" the increase, at least to a degree. This would keep the price artificially(?) high but stable, thereby incentivising people to choose higher-MPG cars.

CarloSW2

Daox 05-11-2009 01:18 PM

I also voted #2. It will cause more people to drive more FE cars which isn't a bad thing. However, I completely agree with Funny's post #4. We should educate people (kids & adults) better, not strong arm them into making decisions they don't want to (as much as I'd like to sometimes!)

dcb 05-11-2009 02:00 PM

So what if gas is artifically cheap already? Some folks estimate it at $15 a gallon once all is said and done, which would mean we are all paying a lot more for gasoline than the pump price (no choice) even if you choose not to use gasoline.

Frank Lee 05-11-2009 06:31 PM

I just want gas to be $4+ again. I hate when it's cheap. :mad:

UfoTofU 05-11-2009 07:06 PM

So far it looks like forum members represent a different view than those surveyed

tasdrouille 05-11-2009 07:49 PM

I like my gas prices high, it's the only path to innovation.