EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Pan cake motor (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pan-cake-motor-30892.html)

big 01-16-2015 04:52 AM

Pan cake motor

I want to know the basic of building a pancake motor,Like PERM Motor.
Actually i need to build a PERM like Motor for my application.

Daox 01-16-2015 08:57 AM

Motor R&D is pretty complicated. I'd highly suggest buying one.

big 01-16-2015 11:14 AM

I know its a complicated ,But to keep cost low I need to design it by my self.

JRMichler 01-16-2015 01:27 PM

A few random tips if you are designing a motor:

1) End turns add weight and resistance. Minimize them.
2) Use thin laminations of high permeability electrical steel for the magnetic circuit. Low stress machining, properly deburr.
3) Balance the magnetic circuit between steel and copper. Pole iron area, copper area, and back iron.
4) Minimize voltage between adjacent wires. Especially important between phases.
5) Enough electrical insulation to handle the peak voltage at that point. Don't forget switching transients.
6) Consider the effect of thermal stresses in the insulation system. This is one of the biggest motor killers.
7) Design frame for peak mechanical loads.
8) Minimize rotor / stator gap. Take into account ALL machining tolerances, assembly tolerances, thermal expansion, and deflections under load.
9) There's a lot more......

I have worked on motor development. Building a motor good enough to drive a vehicle is a much bigger job than it looks like at first glance.

freebeard 01-16-2015 07:42 PM

What's a PERM motor? Can you provide a link? Surely not Perm Motors Group?

What is your application and power requirement?

big 01-17-2015 12:31 AM

electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/brushed-motors/perm-pmg-132-pmdc-motor-24-72v-10-hp-cont-19-1-hp-pk.html

Its the most efficient motor that I have found ,Actually its a Pankcake type motor.
My Current Specs for the motors are

Coreless Design
Power -8HP
Motor RPM-3000~5000
Voltages-92v
Weight has to be low
Should be a brushed motor so as Controller cost would be lower.

Grant-53 01-17-2015 01:44 PM

When you say a pancake motor I take it to mean the rotor diameter is larger than the rotor length such as the Agni and the bicycle hub motors. JRMichel has covered the basics and you will want to get some books for back round in electrical engineering and motor designs. I spent a number of years racing slot cars and building motors for them. The HO cars used either pancake (Aurora) or can (Tyco) type motors. There are solid engineering reasons that the can type motors won out. Most industrial motors are designed with the rotor length twice the rotor diameter. Laminations for motors and transformers are commonly made from 0.015" silicon steel last I checked. Cooling, balance, and bearing quality are key issues. You do not say if this is a student project or DIY adventure. If it were a DIY project I would start with a couple of good used Delco starter motors and some homemade ultra capacitors. The 10 hp is about right for a streamlined motorcycle or a neighborhood runabout car.

big 01-18-2015 06:59 AM

Hello Grant-53,
Thank for providing some knowledge on this field.
So to be little more Specific I am Building a CORELESS BRUSHED DC MOTOR.
Any type of previous project would be a lot of help,Or an Internal Image of CORELESS Motor would be great start.