EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Pet peeve working on bikes? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pet-peeve-working-bikes-40308.html)

larrybuck 06-17-2022 04:14 PM

Pet peeve working on bikes?

Okay oh, so you might want to add a power port, or a trickle charger line and, what common enemy do you now face? You disconnect your terminal screws, put your additions on, and fight with the loose nut at the base of the terminal box to get it lined up and high enough to accept the threads. What have we ever done to make the battery people hate us so much? Is it that 1/12 of a cent difference in manufacturing cost where is the screw was just slightly longer the torture session would not be necessary. I realize it would cost a little bit more to have this nut be stationary. Maybe I just haven't bought batteries that are expensive enough. Are there some with nuts already in place? I don't know about you, but I don't have the tiniest fingers in the world, and I simply do not enjoy this battle. What has helped me, is I take off the small front section of a cut off zip tie and use that to Elevate the nut for first bite. I wonder if I would make a fortune by making a very short screwdriver type handled device with a magnetized block end to hold the nut in place. Women go through pain in childbirth, and tend to forget it afterwards with the joy of the new child. Must we take on the different kind of pain every time we want to look at a motorcycle battery? Okay, I feel better now. It's off my chest. What drives you crazy?

freebeard 06-17-2022 05:14 PM

No problem with things I can change, or things I can't change. It drives me cra-cra trying to tell the two apart.

Pain? I've got a scar on my left elbow from a failed dismount.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-17-2022 07:50 PM

Sometimes it would be tempting to get a batteryless motorcycle, yet nowadays as even the most bare-bones model available in my country has EFI it's nearly impossible to safely remove the battery of a motorcycle and keeping it able to operate properly.

freebeard 06-17-2022 08:29 PM

Carbide headlamp?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-17-2022 08:32 PM

Well, not so extreme. IIRC some batteryless motorcycles still had a conventional electric lighting system, such as the Belarusian Minsk which had a few units imported to Brazil in the '90s by some Argentinian company.

Ironside 06-18-2022 03:46 AM

Quote:

fight with the loose nut at the base of the terminal box to get it lined up and high enough to accept the threads.
Put a little square of sticky back foam under the nut, problem solved.

D.O.G. 06-19-2022 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrybuck (Post 669697)
You disconnect your terminal screws, put your additions on, and fight with the loose nut at the base of the terminal box to get it lined up and high enough to accept the threads.

I've had the same frustrating issue in the past.
I cut down a couple of longer 5mm screws to be just longer than the originals, then used them with each battery I've replaced since then (two and counting).:thumbup:

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-19-2022 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironside (Post 669730)
Put a little square of sticky back foam under the nut, problem solved.

I have already seen it a few times, yet I didn't try it.

Daschicken 06-20-2022 01:11 AM

Yeah that battery terminal screw issue is always fun when you run into it. I usually just stuff a little piece of paper towel under the nut to lift it up.

I'll add another pet peeve not discussed here yet: Lifting/jacking up motorcycles.

Cars have pretty standard and easy to identify jacking points. Motorcycles, well....

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-20-2022 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daschicken (Post 669818)
I'll add another pet peeve not discussed here yet: Lifting/jacking up motorcycles.

That's a good point. I have already seen some equipments meant to lift/jack up a motorcycle, yet there is basically no standard. Things become worse when it comes to sports motorcycles with a full fairing...