EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   PhotoBucket rushes to help Ecomodder (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/photobucket-rushes-help-ecomodder-35321.html)

aerohead 06-30-2017 01:06 PM

PhotoBucket rushes to help Ecomodder

Looks like all PhotoBucket linked images have vanished at Ecomodder.
Can't thank them enough for the help.
For $400 /year now I can do what cost $zero a week or so ago.
Dark Age 2.0.
At a thousand words per image,and 71-pages of images I can see no literacy ahead.I can't speak pixels.

MetroMPG 06-30-2017 03:38 PM

Yup, it's unfortunate.

Their new policy will have wrecked threads on thousands of other sites affecting probably hundreds of thousands of users (if not more, in both cases).

I realize our forum photo uploading feature & albums aren't as user-friendly.

But the disadvantage of 3rd party sites is we have no control over what they decide to do. Some have gone completely out of business, and the photos went "poof" into the ether. That affected me directly, about 10 years ago, and I decided to only host my images directly on the forum. (Or on domains I control.)

I'm reluctant to do a query to find out how many thousands of photobucket images are now broken on EcoModder.

RedDevil 06-30-2017 04:36 PM

Put it in the cloud, and it drifts away with the weather.

Photobucket stands for the 'host' in 'hostage'.
Imgur seems fine so far. Today.

I hardly use Ecomodders photo uploading feature. It limits the size to VGA and number of pictures per album to clock. I can work around the album limitation, but the size issue is tedious.
At least it is better than InsightCentral which blocks its images from non-members. I cannot even refer to posts on IC if it has images hosted on an IC photo album - those would not show! So that one is definitely a goner.

Of course, if you lift or shift the limitations it will increase the data use on Ecomodder's servers. Your host server probably has data limits in accordance to a hosting fee, so it may cost you.

But I know there are members here on Ecomodder who are very glad with the services provided in general and are happy to have an excuse to make a small financial contribution to the site, if that upgrades their photo album and picture size to gee nice and the color of the star to gold ;)

I am willing to invest say $25 and have bigger photo alba. And never mind the star, I like it red - it contrasts nicely with my political views. :D
Anyone with me on this? (bar views ;))

MetroMPG 06-30-2017 04:40 PM

Good idears. You should be an entrepreneur.

I'll look-see if I can tie album / upload settings to membership group...

MetroMPG 06-30-2017 04:41 PM

PS: I agree it's tedious to resize images to get around the limits.

But I've done it so many times, it's become a muscle memory keystroke procedure.

Stubby79 06-30-2017 04:42 PM

My ISP stopped hosting photos 6 months back. I switched to PhotoBucket...guess I'll be deleting my account there. It serves NO purpose if they won't let me link to the pics.

MetroMPG 06-30-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 544291)
Put it in the cloud, and it drifts away with the weather.

Photobucket stands for the 'host' in 'hostage'.

PS: ha, funny.

And, yes, I can change album settings by usergroup. What would be an appropriate pixel size (W x H) setting?

kach22i 06-30-2017 05:53 PM

I have a Photobucket account, been paying the extra $50 a year for some extra features.

I got that notice everyone else received but didn't look into the cost. No way $400 is going to them after this, what the heck were they thinking?

I went back to some old threads were a photo once was, nothing but a gray square saying "PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ENABLE 3RD PARTY HOSTING".

redneck 06-30-2017 06:26 PM

I use photobucket and the pictures I link to my posts are still there.

Whats different?

:confused:

>

redpoint5 06-30-2017 07:02 PM

Time for me to pay for a domain name and fire up a web server of my own. I don't like putting other media on "the cloud", so I shouldn't treat forum images any differently.

Vman455 06-30-2017 08:29 PM

Well, I guess I'll start uploading pictures from my Civic and Prius threads to Ecomodder. Someone may find them useful.

rmay635703 06-30-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 544296)
PS: ha, funny.

And, yes, I can change album settings by usergroup. What would be an appropriate pixel size (W x H) setting?

I would remove pixel size and inact only a file size limit

There have been many times I have reduced resolution but file size was minimally affected.

Some files compress well others not

gumby79 06-30-2017 09:26 PM

And auto Sizer feature... you hit upload on a 12MP pic and the algorithms fix it in the back ground. Out comes a proper size and content volume. Add an edit feature wile your at it ,that alows basic crop, wright text and arrows to easily point stuff out .. would be nice to have a bonus.
Size issue.
My phone (main form of www ) will bump the size from 130kb to just over 500kb to run an image through it with no changes. . So oftentimes I resize realise an edit is needed, edit, resize then upload.

Never trusted the bucket . . Eco modder will kick the bucket out of its way and walk tall.
$25 hear as well.
Add a contribution link to float as the last permalink on this thread.

ECO-AKJ 07-01-2017 01:11 PM

I am trying imgur, I should be able to get all my pictures fixed next week at work

samwichse 07-03-2017 11:15 AM

I just post my stuff on Google+ without comment then hotlink it to the forum.

Seems to work well and is free. Plus if it's a whole image dump, I can link to the posting and they'll still be available if Google cracks down on hotlinking (it's worked for the last six years?).

ECO-AKJ 07-03-2017 02:40 PM

Why didn't I research that more, I have sense made a new email just for my car stuff because I liked flickr better than imgur and it uses yahoo mail intergration and I just got rolling and Doax helped me with some changes here to reflect all this and now I am in the process of changing all my links so that the pics show back up!!

Test: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4286/...f6b0f637b7.jpg

ECO-AKJ 07-03-2017 02:43 PM

Now to go through the 6 pages of posts and find the rest!!!

redpoint5 07-03-2017 03:11 PM

It would probably take me 10hrs to locate and change 90% of all my forum photo links. I've probably linked photos in at least a dozen forums. I join a forum for every vehicle I own, and every vehicle I consider purchasing.

ECO-AKJ 07-03-2017 04:27 PM

Yep, luckily right now I am only on two, this one and focusfanatics.com

vskid3 07-04-2017 11:00 AM

Why would I use Photobucket if not to link to the pictures on forums? Luckily I switched to imgur a while back. Agreed on the forum's image uploader being outdated. If the bandwidth is available, it would be great to get a better uploader so we can easily host our pictures here.

canadian_yeti 07-04-2017 12:07 PM

im lost. whats the new deal with photobucket? they start charging money to have an account? if i have an existing account, do all my pictures on it just disappear?

freebeard 07-04-2017 12:11 PM

An exit strategy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DownThemAll!

rmay635703 07-04-2017 01:36 PM

Photo bucket is a paid service now just as happened to Bravenet (remember that dive?) and every other image service ever created.

3rd party service either needs to be banned or the 3 rd party needs to be government operated.

If you watched your emails I think they gave a short warning before ransoming your pics

redpoint5 07-04-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 544535)
3rd party service either needs to be banned or the 3 rd party needs to be government operated.

If you watched your emails I think they gave a short warning before ransoming your pics

Yeah, cause the government provides great service at affordable prices! :rolleyes:

Or you can just pay for the services you use. Nobody should be using the cloud as their only copy of their files anyhow, so Photobucket isn't ransoming my pictures since I have higher quality originals on my server.

If you really want security and affordability, make your own image server. The tradeoff is convenience. Convenient things cost more.

vskid3 07-04-2017 02:53 PM

I just checked a thread of mine with images hosted on Photobucket and they're still there. I used several devices to be sure it wasn't because I was logged into Photobucket. Is there a slow rollout of the no-hotlinking policy?

jcp123 07-04-2017 05:04 PM

I've never used photobucket, and looks like I never will.

If there isn't an instant "add photo" button to a thread, then that just sucks.

rmay635703 07-04-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp123 (Post 544548)
I've never used photobucket, and looks like I never will.

If there isn't an instant "add photo" button to a thread, then that just sucks.

Always has been a VGA JPEG attachment feature on this forum.

I would use it any day over 3rd party crap, I've been burned by 3rd party hosting too many times

oldtamiyaphile 07-04-2017 10:03 PM

I would be happy to pitch in as well to improve EM's native file hosting.

Stubby79 07-04-2017 10:19 PM

They can't make money off of ads if you don't go directly to their site...

Ecky 07-05-2017 01:48 AM

I tried photobucket for a little while (some of my images are still on there), but nearly all of the images I post are uploaded to imgur, which has worked nicely for me. If anything, it has gotten better over time.

redpoint5 07-05-2017 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 544555)
Always has been a VGA JPEG attachment feature on this forum.

I would use it any day over 3rd party crap, I've been burned by 3rd party hosting too many times

Photobucket was easier when linking an image in multiple places. It makes more sense to have a central repository than scattering images about the web.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 544559)
They can't make money off of ads if you don't go directly to their site...

I would be ok with a small watermark advertisement if it allowed me to link the image for free. Maybe a small Coke logo in the corner of the photo, or added to the bottom of the image.

Heck, I'd probably pay $20/year at this point for the ability to link my images. $400 is absurd, and there is no way I'll be continuing to host my photos with them.

JockoT 07-05-2017 03:43 AM

I went onto Photobucket this morning, and deleted all my images (all are backed up in other places). I also cancelled my account, but that takes a few days to go through. No enquiry from Photobucket as to why I was leaving. Signed up with Imgur, for images I want to post to third party sites.

MetroMPG 07-05-2017 11:00 AM

Photobucket's 'ransom demand' - BBC News

gumby79 07-05-2017 11:33 AM

From the article
Quote:

"They are holding you to ransom," the site's administrator, Glen Stephens, told members, advising them not to pay the fee.
"You have no guarantee they will be in business... in a month the way this disaster is rolling out."

Metro any word on improvements to the local hosting yet?

gone-ot 07-05-2017 01:13 PM

"Trust NOT all things said to be FREE."

rmay635703 07-05-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 544596)
"Trust NOT all things said to be FREE."

I've been waiting for the next round of dot com busts for a while.

The internet is profitable for about 1 out of 10 companies

Cloud storage is a waste for everyone but amazon.

If government interference stops I have a feeling a lot of services will as well.

The economics just aren't there

ThermionicScott 07-06-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vskid3 (Post 544542)
I just checked a thread of mine with images hosted on Photobucket and they're still there. I used several devices to be sure it wasn't because I was logged into Photobucket. Is there a slow rollout of the no-hotlinking policy?

It seems like the big users got hit first, and those who don't have as many pictures linked are getting hit later.

freebeard 07-06-2017 01:07 PM

'[B]ig users', IOW those who threaten the hegemon. As reported by aerohead first. :)

JockoT 07-06-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 544644)
It seems like the big users got hit first, and those who don't have as many pictures linked are getting hit later.

The thing is, the user can see the images posted on a third party site, but other people cannot. That way you preview and everything looks okay, but others only get the "ransom screen".

freebeard 07-06-2017 04:18 PM

Confirmed:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...ting+shadowban