EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   place your bets on my trackday mpg! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/place-your-bets-my-trackday-mpg-15012.html)

320touring 10-29-2010 05:48 AM

place your bets on my trackday mpg!

as you know, us ecomodders revel in good mpg!

however, i'm missing the thrill of a right good thrash:)
To this end i've booked a trackday at Official Knockhill driving experiences, Motorsport gift ideas and driving experience courses in Scotland
It's a 1.2 mile track with little elevation, 4hr session with 3 drivers
a) myself, a reformed leadfoot
b) my brother, a confirmed leadfoot.
c) the burd, capable of 57mpg uk in her petrol car.

The day will be run as follows I'll drive to the circuit in my normal 40mpg uk fashion

At the circuit, tyres will be dropped to 32 psi from 36 we'll each take turns to do 10 laps, consisting of 1 warmup, 8 'fast', and 1 cooldown lap.

At the end of each 10 laps, the car will be allowed to idle for 1minute to cool the turbo before being switched off for a 5 minute minimum cooling period.

Ideally i expect the car to complete 6 of these sessions in the 4hr period.so thats 60 laps at 1.2 miles= 72 miles.

I'll then drive back home in an ecomodding fashion with the tyres at 32psi

Total 'normal' mileage= 100
total track mileage= 72
total mileage= 172
at my current 40.5mpg uk, that'd eat 4.25uk gallons

I reckon my mpg overall will half- 20.25mpg uk (8.5uk gal) What do you think? Vote in the poll:)

Cheers! neil

320touring 10-29-2010 06:05 AM

edited to make it legible!

RobertSmalls 10-29-2010 06:52 AM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ger-13838.html - see post #7.

It's a lot harder to forecast fuel consumption for a track that turns both left and right, since we don't know how hard you'll thrash it. I'm sure it depends on the track. I have no idea, but I'll place a WAG of 10mpg while on the track.

320touring 10-29-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 201484)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ger-13838.html - see post #7.

It's a lot harder to forecast fuel consumption for a track that turns both left and right, since we don't know how hard you'll thrash it. I'm sure it depends on the track. I have no idea, but I'll place a WAG of 10mpg while on the track.

Hi Robert, thanks for the link- that thread is part of the reason I posted this up..

It'll be getting some working- revving to over 5k rpm, and will be pushed as far as the drivers are comfortable with- this may vary depending on the driver/weather

As to the overall fuel, by my reckoning you think that

on track i'll use 7.2 UK gallons

then an additional 2.47 UK to get there and back..

so that'd give me 17.79 uk MPG overall?

Thats not so far from my predicted 20mpg uk..

thanks!

Anyone else got any theories?

robchalmers 10-29-2010 06:14 PM

Love knockhill!

I used to be the Commentry Assistant there! even did most of my track training and got my race licence there!!!!

320touring 10-30-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robchalmers (Post 201613)
Love knockhill!

I used to be the Commentry Assistant there! even did most of my track training and got my race licence there!!!!

any hints or tips?

I know duffes dip can be a *****..
Never driven it before-only track i've driven on is the 'ring..
Looking forward to it no end!

what race licence you got?

robchalmers 10-30-2010 08:43 AM

Nat B

well, i did but forgot to renew it....

Duffus you alway kick your self you didn't carry enough speed through - until you bin it,

Chicane - only start turn once you apex the last.

Clark (prob changed name now) is completely blind - wait, wait, wait do as late an apex as possible, you'll probably find you'r still too early :D

320touring 10-30-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robchalmers (Post 201687)
Nat B

well, i did but forgot to renew it....

Duffus you alway kick your self you didn't carry enough speed through - until you bin it,

Chicane - only start turn once you apex the last.

Clark (prob changed name now) is completely blind - wait, wait, wait do as late an apex as possible, you'll probably find you'r still too early :D

cheers for that:) i'm going to try and maintain a sensible approach-the car is my daily driver after all..

Reckon i'll get a taste for it though:)

O/t, but you'll never guess what my bro collects on monday..

An r reg polo diseasal. Gonna see if i can blag it for a tank to see if p&g works on it:)

320touring 11-11-2010 08:09 AM

Two days to go.. I topped up the tank last night, and have used barely any so far..

Dont think its worth topping up prior to going on the trackday as I'll have over 3/4 when i get there..

Pleasingly the last tank was 40.12 UK MPG

320touring 11-15-2010 08:00 AM

I did a final fillb efore heading out to the trackday;.. and I'm confused..

This was the first time I ran the car with 40psi Tyres, and it apparently did 170.2 miles on £18 of fuel at 1.159p per litre...

thats 3.42 UK gal or 4.11 US gal..

Giving me 49.77UK mpg, or 41.41 US mpg..

Well above what I was pulling before. To be fair, I was driving in lighter traffic, so thatmay have had an influence too.

On the actual trackday- I only got 35 laps in, so I'm still running the same tank to work- final MPG will be posted once its empty- I'll be putting the tyres back to 40psi today