EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Plan to tax cars by the mile (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/plan-tax-cars-mile-17249.html)

redneck 05-08-2011 05:48 AM

Plan to tax cars by the mile

Obama administration floats draft plan to tax cars by the mile
By Pete Kasperowicz - 05/05/11 07:45 AM ET

Obama administration floats draft plan to tax cars by the mile - The Hill's Floor Action

Excerpt;

Quote:

News of the draft follows a March Congressional Budget Office report that supported the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven.

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations.

What do you guys think of this ???

>

cleanspeed1 05-08-2011 09:00 AM

Don't worry, will not happen.

Think about it, the thought of it will cause a revolt politically, that's why they are floating it to gauge response.

One of the greatest freedoms we have is to be able to go where we want, when we want; so anything that can be spun in such a way to compromise that will not fly.

To tax mileage is just to get the revenue up because tax receipts from other established means has been cut or dropping. Folks are burning less gas, less tax revenue. Demand has been dropping and stockpiles are going up. With all the "uncertainty" that regular folks have been experiencing, more people are taking a conservative line when it comes to spending and trimming budgets anyway they can.

On the face of it, it's good to us, but bad for the national economy, since it relies on people buying stuff they don't need. As more and more people get away from that mentality, then other ways are going to come to keep federal, state and local governments running. In this regard, the powers that be played themselves.

Could you just imagine this happening? Saving rates are up, credit card useage down, more people paying cash for items, home energy efficiency up, alternative energy use up, personal debt levels at an all time low. That scenario is what the big boys are worried about. No more feeding the beast.

jamesqf 05-08-2011 07:33 PM

The big drawback is that any competent hacker could figure out how to beat the electronic monitoring :-)

So much easier - technically, politically, and administratively - just to raise the gas tax a few cents per gallon, which also gives people an incentive to buy more fuel-efficient vehicles.

smokeyj 05-08-2011 07:39 PM

I have a plan to tax cars by the mile, it is called gas prices, it magically corrects for type of vehicle, driving habits and state of maintenance.

It is already installed in most cars as we speak. Obama sure is cunning to pull that off without us even noticing it.

gone-ot 05-08-2011 09:34 PM

...OnStar™ currently provides GM (and thus Gov't) direct, realtime, recording of your milage already, with Chrysler and Ford soon to offer similar "services" in the name of "safety."

...so, BIG BROTHER rides "shotgun" whether you want him to or not!

t vago 05-08-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyj (Post 236991)
I have a plan to tax cars by the mile, it is called gas prices, it magically corrects for type of vehicle, driving habits and state of maintenance.

It is already installed in most cars as we speak. Obama sure is cunning to pull that off without us even noticing it.

Big Government is nervous about losing a source of gasoline taxes from the huge 0.001% of vehicles on the road that are electric vehicles.

But it's a wonderful idea for us to give Big Government more money. Just think - pay a gasoline tax, then pay a mileage tax on top of that!

(I dare anyone to try to point out that a money-hungry largely useless parasite would not try to double-tax us fuel-using drivers...)

deathtrain 05-08-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 237014)
...OnStar™ currently provides GM (and thus Gov't) direct, realtime, recording of your milage already, with Chrysler and Ford soon to offer similar "services" in the name of "safety."

...so, BIG BROTHER rides "shotgun" whether you want him to or no!

remove the antenna.

gone-ot 05-09-2011 06:38 PM

...simpler yet, just remove its FUZE.

jamesqf 05-09-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 237218)
...simpler yet, just remove its FUZE.

Even simpler, don't buy GM vehicles :-)

But for the more technically inclined, you mess with its inputs until it reports the miles &c that you want it to.

my first gmc 05-18-2011 07:08 PM

Hmmm, which do I not like more:
1: That they'd be taxing me for using my property that I bought with my money that already got taxed twice by the time I bought the car.
2: That the gubment would know where you are at all times.

dcb 05-18-2011 07:20 PM

I have to think that fuel used is a better indicator for gasoline/diesel vehicles (reflects *somewhat* the size of the vehicle and associated wear and tear on the roads).

But it is a growing question, I mean folks have gotten in serious doo-doo for using greasle and not paying road taxes on their fuel. As more vehicles plug into the wall (or otherwise improve efficiency) how do you fund the roads?

gone-ot 05-18-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 239360)
IAs more vehicles plug into the wall (or otherwise improve efficiency) how do you fund the roads?

...wasn't that one of the functions of the federal fuel taxes?

cleanspeed1 05-18-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 239360)
I have to think that fuel used is a better indicator for gasoline/diesel vehicles (reflects *somewhat* the size of the vehicle and associated wear and tear on the roads).

But it is a growing question, I mean folks have gotten in serious doo-doo for using greasle and not paying road taxes on their fuel. As more vehicles plug into the wall (or otherwise improve efficiency) how do you fund the roads?

That's a good question. It would mean having to change the fundamentals of a lot of things. Roads would have to built better with better, more expensive materials; contractors will have to guarantee their work for years; monies allocated for road construction will have to go exactly to that. Those that are in charge will have to be held accountable with serious penalties for misappropriation of funds.

Sounds like we would have to do what Germany does on the Autobahn.

dcb 05-18-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 239361)
...wasn't that one of the functions of the federal fuel taxes?

Yes, and efficiency of your fuel tax dollars aside, that is the fundamental issue. As cars use less fuel (and more electricity) how do you keep paying for the roads.

Rusty Marina 05-18-2011 11:22 PM

You mean our government is not already taxing us enough with these fuel prices, tickets, personal property taxes and license fees ?