EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Planned mods to my Golf 4 Estate (stationwagon) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/planned-mods-my-golf-4-estate-stationwagon-15695.html)

1.9SDI 01-06-2011 01:06 PM

Planned mods to my Golf 4 Estate (stationwagon)

Go here to have a look:
golf.citrusdm.com

If you only see one pic, click on it to bring up the other 'after' shot.

*Disclaimer: That's not my car, I have a black one but I don't have any pics of it.

COcyclist 01-06-2011 04:28 PM

Looks like a good start. A 3" suspension drop may be more for looks than for aerodynamics. You would probably get more bang for the buck by doing a full belly pan at stock ride height. These cars are already pretty low and broken oil pans are not uncommon on lowered cars.

1.9SDI 01-06-2011 05:41 PM

I have a feeling you could be right. Perhaps 2" would be more prudent? I have a skid plate on already - it's a standard part as far as I can make out. The replacent suspension I've already bought is fully adjustable coil-overs so I can adjust ride height as necessary. The main point is getting air to go anywhere but underneath.

JasonG 01-06-2011 06:57 PM

That just makes me want one even more.
6 more months of saving and I should be able to get one.

Look at weatherspotter and his brother's rides to see how good wagons look eccomodded.

(sorry to _______ for forgetting your username.)

1.9SDI 01-07-2011 06:49 PM

Thanks Jason, how do I look at Weather Spotter's brothers' car?
Good luck getting your own. I didn't like it much when I first got it but I love it now.

JasonG 01-07-2011 09:52 PM

Look at some of weatherspotters threads, his brother usually is there.

Weather Spotter 01-07-2011 11:25 PM

I have the aero trix (heavily modded 2006 matrix). My bother (soulster) has a mostly stock Kia soul and does not like the look of my car :(.

I will read through the thread and add my thoughts, I just wanted to clear up who has the car modding experience :)

Weather Spotter 01-07-2011 11:42 PM

I like your car choice, wagons are nice mix between people and cargo and MPG :)

Mod tips (links are to our wiki mod page for that mod):
1. grill block is a cheep easy first mod. Grill block partial or full - EcoModder

2. smooth wheel covers Smooth wheel covers - EcoModder

3. belly pan Belly pan - EcoModder

4. Rear wheel skirts. Rear wheel skirts - EcoModder

5. side mirror delete. Side mirrors - EcoModder

6. Tire pressure to max sidewall. Increase tire pressure to max sidewall - EcoModder

7. Scangauge ScanGauge OBD-II computer - EcoModder

The first 7 are relatively cheep and easy to do. 8- 10 are harder but sill very doable.

8. Kill switch. Engine kill switch - EcoModder

9. Kammback. Partial Kammback - EcoModder

10. roof rack removal. Roof rack - EcoModder

11 Full boat tail. Full boat tail - EcoModder
this one is harder and will take some $$$ and time commitment. I just did it and it took me a strait week of work and about $300.

Issues with lowering:
1. will prematurely wear out your half shafts. I have a brother who tests them at work, keep the angle the same. Any change will kill them 2-3x faster.

2. reduces ability to go over debris in road

3. reduces ability to drive through snow (might or might not be an issue for you, I need 6-8" in the winter)

before lowering a car I would make a air dam to the same height and see if that scrapes or if it helps. It is also a cheaper way to get the same gain. Front air dam - EcoModder

Is the car a gas or not?
Manual or not?

I hope this gives you some food for thought. I would also look through the other mods on our wiki, it will give you plenty to think about :)

1.9SDI 01-08-2011 05:53 AM

Thanks WS, I've got a few mods lined up but I'm waiting on the delivery of my ScanGuageII. Without that I don't know what I'm improving on.

I quite like the look of your car - persuading my girlfriend to get in something like that s a different matter entirely!

I have a post in the Introductions section that lists all my planned mods but I've also been wondering about hydrogen injection. Any thoughts?

robchalmers 01-08-2011 06:57 AM

Hydrogen injectors are placebos really, takes more current from the alt than produces extra power/FE to compensate