Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Civic VX turning 20, collector plates, collector insurance?

Most states have collector plates for vehicles that are 20 years old or older, often times those plates never expire but come with restrictions to help encourage you to "preserve" your vehicle, stuff like having to own a 2nd vehicle without collector plates on it, no more then 10,000 miles per year, not using it in the month of January.
Vehicles with collector plates also have other perks, like collector vehicle insurance becomes an option, that is often full coverage insurance with little to no deductible, of course more restrictions like they don't want you driving it to work regularly, but when I was looking at it for my electric car it was going to be $150 per year, for full coverage!

So because the Civic VX's first year was 1992 and it's 2012 that first batch of Civic VX's is 20 years old, so is anyone cheap enough to live with those restrictions, or is anyone preserving their VX, or older Geo Metro XFI for that matter?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
25 years old minimum here. Very restricted driving. Plates are permanent and insurance is cheap, also no property taxes, but if you drive it even close to regularly you will most likely be ticketed. I will probably get antique plates for my 71 CB350, but it has 5700 miles on it at 40 years age. 1000 last year. Many cops here are watching antique plate drivers very carefully. The only allowed driving that is not to a show or a repair shop, is to "exercise" the vehicle. Obviously very few miles expected.

Virginia also allows owners to not have to go through state inspections, but also requires owners to sign a document where they promise their vehicle is in the proper condition to pass the state inspections that were required when the vehicle was new.

This means in many cases they do not have to have seat belts, turn signals, or other things you would expect on a modern car, but those things were either optional or not available when the car was originally manufactured.

Everyone needs to carefully read their individual state laws concerning antique or other designation older cars.

regards
Mech
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Most states have collector plates for vehicles that are 20 years old or older...
Now that's good for a laugh, since I've seldom owned a car or truck that wasn't close to 20 years old. The Insight's an exception, but the way the automakers are going, I may still be driving it 8 years from now.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
25 years old minimum here. Very restricted driving.

Everyone needs to carefully read their individual state laws concerning antique or other designation older cars.
We have Antique plates here too, not sure on the age requirements or restrictions on them but yes, much more strict then the collector plates, collector plates here are great for those of us who have... collections of vehicles... I have them on my motorcycles too because I sometimes go years without ridding but I don't want to have to file a pile of paper work when I do want to take it for a ride or decide if a small repair should be put off until I have time to make the plate renewal work while and that is part of their goal, to encourage people like me who have multiple vehicles to keep them in working order because I don't have to worry about my paper work being out of date, also at least for us, the 2nd 3rd and so on collector plate you get is much cheaper.

Reply  Post New Thread