EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Plastics moon discs (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/plastics-moon-discs-7381.html)

Piwoslaw 03-06-2009 04:39 AM

Plastics moon discs

I know I'm not the only one wondering why nobody makes moon discs out of plastic. Compared to metal caps, plastic moonies would be lighter and cheaper, but I haven't found any. So, I looked for hubcap producers in my area and wrote to the two largest ones. I asked whether it'd be possible to make smooth hubcaps, how much would it cost, how would the price come down if I bought more than one set, what size would the minimum batch be, etc. Neither wrote back :(
If I did get an answer, then buying a few sets may not hurt too much, then giving them to friends/family (my Wife's nephew is sort of into tuning his ride), maybe as presents.

jime57 03-06-2009 06:05 AM

It is an interesting idea. In fact, it might be relatively easy to epoxy some coroplast discs onto a modified set of old wheel covers. That would make the attachment problem easier.

lunarhighway 03-06-2009 09:07 AM

here's a couple of thoughts

frisbees
plastic plant pot trays
paint bucket lids

or find or make a suitable shape and vacuum form it... vacuum forming is what's used to produce these plastic blister packages. but the technique is also used is scale modeling to make things like aircraft canopees etc. so you might look for information in these circles

you could make a transparent cover for your bling bling rims, use non transparent plastic sheet, or use transparent sheet and paint it from the back! very smooth and durable finish that way

cfg83 03-07-2009 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Piwoslaw -

One thing you could do is find the smoothest hubcap out there and fill in the holes. This is what MetroMPG did. Here is a nice example of an almost moon-disk :

Honda Civic Hubcaps, Honda Civic Wheel Covers and hub caps - Hubcaps.com
Attachment 2870

CarloSW2

Frank Lee 03-07-2009 02:37 AM

Lots of '80s car had flat or nearly flat hubcaps. There ya go.

cfg83 03-07-2009 02:51 AM

Frank -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 91412)
Lots of '80s car had flat or nearly flat hubcaps. There ya go.

Yup.

CarloSW2

Piwoslaw 03-07-2009 11:08 AM

Thanks fór the comments, but I see you missed my point. I don't have anything against making my own moonies, and that's what I'll end up doing. I started this thread to talk about some company producing flatcaps out of plastic, or not producing is closer to home. Would there be enough customers to make it worth while to produce plastic moon discs? How much cheaper would they be compared to steel ones, and would that win over the pseudo-racing crowd?
Plus, if I'd like to inflict mooncaps on someone as a gift, they should at least look nice (I know, I know: you guys have some nice ones on your cars, but I'm not that talented).

winkosmosis 03-07-2009 12:37 PM

I don't think there would be enough customers.

There probably aren't enough ecomodders, especially when you factor in how many have alloy wheels, and how many make their own with pizza pans instead. The pseudo-racing crowd isn't gonna buy mooncaps unless they are featured in a Fast and the Furious movie

winkosmosis 03-07-2009 12:38 PM

Although, I could see those blue caps on that aeromodded Prius being successfully marketed to hybrid owners. Plus they aren't retro like regular mooncaps, so they actually match the styling of new cars.

moorecomp 03-07-2009 07:12 PM

How about using kids round plastic saucers that are used for sledding? Cost just a few bucks around here.