EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   pooping bricks :) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pooping-bricks-13811.html)

ragez0r 07-08-2010 10:39 PM

pooping bricks :)

ive learnt that some people cannot flush their toilet bowls by dumping a bucket of (gray)water in there.. so if youd like to save some water.. heres an idea... put 1 or 2 bricks inside your toilet water tank and voila

enjoy

The Atomic Ass 07-09-2010 12:17 AM

A shame mine simply would not flush like that. As it is, I've got the top off and I have to add more water to make it flush properly about half the time.

When I get my RV set up, whenever that will be, the gray water tank will be pumped directly into the toilet tank.

JellyBeanDriver 07-09-2010 12:38 AM

California had a rebate on low flow toilets. Put in a couple of Eco Drakes, 1.28 gal flush and the rebates paid for 3/4 the price of the toilets. Much better flushers than what I had before too.

Now there's actual semi-real testing done on toilets so you can get one that saves water AND still flushes well.

ragez0r 07-09-2010 12:50 AM

well since im in an appartment.. i have no intentions of changing my toilet bowl...
well it was just an idea :)

Frank Lee 07-09-2010 12:55 AM

Hmph. So it ain't just me.

Take that bucket o water and throw it in there straight down the chute- forget the tank. The extra inertia makes 'er go.

I make an effort to use a 5 qt ice cream pail of grey water whenever I remember to leave it in the sink to catch it.

autoteach 07-09-2010 01:25 AM

Thanks Frank,
I was wondering how the crapper they had wouldn't flush with gray water. My sis had a cabin without running water for a while and that is the way we flushed. I just couldn't figure out how it wasn't working for them.

On a side note, you can gain effectiveness in the pour-flush method if you don't directly hit the chute. It is called building a "head". Pouring off to the side will cause turbulence that will keep the water in the bowl longer, allowing it to fill and create a better siphon on the trap. Pouring directly in causes the trap flow to become turbulent (you dont want this) and it breaks up and pulls a poor siphon (doesn't flush well). good luck.

ragez0r 07-09-2010 03:05 AM

wow.. good tip on that one.. i hate seeing chunks of last nights dinner floating about :)

vinny1989 07-09-2010 05:40 AM

Be careful if your putting a brick or two in the water tank, some water tanks are not held to the wall very securely. The weight of a couple of bricks could be enough to pull the screws from the wall(Had it happen once).
Another option is to use either a zip-lock bag, or an old plastic paint tin, filled with water, in the tank.

Piwoslaw 07-09-2010 07:46 AM

I put bricks in the tank at my Mom's house many years back, but after 2-3 years they started to crumble (good material, eh?). I cleaned out the tank and put in 1 pint bottles filled with sand and water.

bennelson 07-09-2010 01:00 PM

I have a semi-automated graywater system at my house.

Used laundry water goes through a sandfilter/marshplants, gravity fed into a big rubbermaid trough, and then gets pumped to the toilet with a well pump on a pressure switch.

When you flush the toilet, pressurized water starts pumping into it from the graywater tank.

It works great.

Read more at:
Ben's DIY Graywater System - EcoRenovator