EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Preventing ScanGaugeII from going to sleep (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/preventing-scangaugeii-going-sleep-4848.html)

KingsX 08-30-2008 03:35 PM

Preventing ScanGaugeII from going to sleep

Issue: Narcoleptic ScanGauge— Kill switch doesn't keep SGII alive when engine off coasting.

Ok, I know this has been discussed here and elsewhere but I'm still unable to solve my problem.

I successfully installed a kill switch in my Metro; much appreciation goes to "bbjsw10" too, btw. Obviously, having a kill switch solves all the fumbling around with the ignition/key but in theory (bypassing the standard ignition switch) I should be able to keep the SGII alive. However, mine still goes to sleep after a few seconds.

I've tried the 'hybrid' setting with no change. Are there any other criteria I could change? I doubt if it matters but mine's a 96 Metro with the 1.3L.

While I'm at it, I have to give props to "MetroMPG" for starting much of this madness on his site. He's the one that sold me on the ScanGauge in the first place. I'd just like to get the most out of it.

I've learned a lot just from lurking here and there for the last couple years, so thanks very much for all the info.

Patrick

Funny 08-31-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsX (Post 57503)
Issue: Narcoleptic ScanGauge— Kill switch doesn't keep SGII alive when engine off coasting.
Patrick

I am also having the same issue, and it is the only thing keeping me from EOC almost all the time. I have perfected the bump start (thanks to well documented descriptions, Darin) and have plans of installing a kill switch in the very near future. Having a solution available, should anything go wrong, to an upcoming project would be great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsX (Post 57503)
While I'm at it, I have to give props to "MetroMPG" for starting much of this madness on his site. He's the one that sold me on the ScanGauge in the first place. I'd just like to get the most out of it.
Patrick

I also must thank Darin for all his efforts on this site and sharing insight into the magical world of hypermiling.

Red 08-31-2008 12:55 PM

Is the metro still "on" when you hit the kill switch?

MetroMPG 08-31-2008 01:35 PM

Red's on the right track. The only reason I can think of that the SG would go to sleep is that the power (ignition) is shut off. But I could be wrong - maybe it watches for some combination of signals to tell whether the engine is running or not.

I'd definitely double check that you saved the "hybrid" fuel type first.

Then maybe you should check in with bbjsw10's kill switch thread to see if anyone else is having this problem. Maybe killing the injector is somehow different than interrupting the coil pickup signal (which is how my kill switch is wired).

My SG2 is set as "hybrid", and the kill switch doesn't put it to sleep.

ChampagneSW2 08-31-2008 05:12 PM

I think the SG looks for the ECU to turn off..but I could be wrong.

I have my saturn wired up to kill the injectors and my SGII does not go to sleep. I do not have it set to hybrid mode either. Not sure if that will help you or not though. Just make sure your ignition switch is still set to ON when you EOC.

Red 08-31-2008 05:29 PM

Well I'm thinking that for some reason or another KingsX's kill switch is shutting off power to the OBD port making the SG think that the car is off.

ChampagneSW2 08-31-2008 05:33 PM

if it kills power to the OBD port then the SG will shut off immediately....it is powered directly from that port.

What did you do to wire up the kill switch? which wire are you opening?

KingsX 09-01-2008 01:58 PM

Per bbjsw10's kill switch post, I wired mine to cut the injectors, via the injector fuse at the fuse block. I leave the ignition key switch alone, just dropping the car out of gear and then hit the switch. Bump starting, by the way, has always been a rather seamless affair. If I had more than one seat installed, a passenger would likely never know the difference most of the time.

Thanks for all the quick replies— I'm certain I'll eventually get this dialed with all you guys' help.

KingsX 09-19-2008 03:48 AM

Well, I still have the problem and it's still frustrating. Anyone with a fresh idea?

whitevette 09-23-2008 03:12 PM

ScanGauge sleeps when engine is "off"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsX (Post 62044)
Well, I still have the problem and it's still frustrating. Anyone with a fresh idea?

Consider this...when the engine is "off", there is NO input from the injector pump. Nothing. Without an input from this ( or any other engine function) the SC "thinks" it is time to sleep.
The clue you get from the ignition being switched "on", but the starter is not engaged...the SC doesn't wake up. Without input voltages from a running engine, there is nothing for the SC to record. -whitevette