EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Previa SADS Mod (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/previa-sads-mod-19769.html)

Mr. Previa 12-13-2011 12:20 PM

Previa SADS Mod

I have seen a few posts where people are disabling some of the accessory items.

How about this: Instead of disabling the AC, PS, removing the alty... Disconnect the SADS shaft and mount a motor to run the the accessories? You a couple of deep cycle batteries.

It would be more work, but, I think it would be a better and safer long term solution.

This is my plan anyways...

bkgeig 12-13-2011 01:55 PM

The alt is connected to the SADS isn't it? If you disconnected the SADS what would drive the alt to provide power to your accessory motor? Or are you talking about mounting a gas-driven motor to the accessories?

If you could mount the alt directly to the engine, you could then convert the radiator fan, power brakes and PS to electric. You could even convert the AC to electric, but it's expensive and difficult.

Brian

Mr. Previa 12-13-2011 01:58 PM

I was thinking on running ALL the accessories via a motor mounted in place of the SADS.

bandit86 12-13-2011 03:02 PM

A motor driven alternator is not very productive

mort 12-13-2011 05:40 PM

Hi Mr. Previa,
I understand. I have an old pickup that has enough under the hood room for a motor and extra space for the batteries. I could re-route the belts and replace the alternator with an electric motor. I'd keep my starting battery, and keep it charged with a DC to DC inverter from the batteries for the accessories motor. Recharge them from the wall. I'd run the water pump too. So I need to figure out how much power that takes...
Anyway this is a fine idea, a super mild plug-in hybrid.
-mort

Mr. Previa 12-13-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mort (Post 274665)
Hi Mr. Previa,
I understand. I have an old pickup that has enough under the hood room for a motor and extra space for the batteries. I could re-route the belts and replace the alternator with an electric motor. I'd keep my starting battery, and keep it charged with a DC to DC inverter from the batteries for the accessories motor. Recharge them from the wall. I'd run the water pump too. So I need to figure out how much power that takes...
Anyway this is a fine idea, a super mild plug-in hybrid.
-mort

That is great, but I think a dual deep cycle and no motor for alty might work better, IMHO... But, all options should be investigated. Besides they are great learning experiences.

I have a 2010 Prius that I already converted to a plugin. My next step will be to go all electric. I was toying with the idea of the SADS removal because:

1, it would be cool to actually make my own hybrid;
2, I HATE OPEC, and would rather buy extra batteries, etc than to spend it of gas;
3, the SADS are costly to repair, and I would rather use that money towards a greener vehicle.

bkgeig 12-14-2011 11:31 AM

I understand now your idea. I assume you own a Previa. Have you tried disconnecting the PS lines from the pump, reconnecting them together and then driving w/out PS? Could be that you don't need PS, especially if you don't parallel park a lot, and it would be one less accessory to drive from the motor. In any case, I'd be curious to know what you thought of driving w/out PS.

I've seen online guys who have converted the radiator fan to electric using Taurus/Sable fans. Converting the power brakes to electric is as easy as hooking up a vacuum pump. The EV guys do it all the time, though you probably know this from your experience with the Prius.

That would only leave the AC to run off the motor. Have you picked any motors yet? I'd be curious to see what you find. From what I've read, Masterflux makes some good DC compressors, but they aren't cheap.

Mr. Previa 01-27-2012 07:55 AM

Got the Deep Cycle installed. Now I am getting the parts to cycle the alternator on and off via a 100 amp solenoid. I decided to go this route just in case I need to charge the battery on the run. I will add a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery during the day. It won't be much, but it is free energy for 8 hours a day.

:turtle: