Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
ECOModder

RAV - '13 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD
90 day: 27.56 mpg (US)
Exclamation Previa SADS Mod

I have seen a few posts where people are disabling some of the accessory items.

How about this: Instead of disabling the AC, PS, removing the alty... Disconnect the SADS shaft and mount a motor to run the the accessories? You a couple of deep cycle batteries.

It would be more work, but, I think it would be a better and safer long term solution.

This is my plan anyways...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The alt is connected to the SADS isn't it? If you disconnected the SADS what would drive the alt to provide power to your accessory motor? Or are you talking about mounting a gas-driven motor to the accessories?

If you could mount the alt directly to the engine, you could then convert the radiator fan, power brakes and PS to electric. You could even convert the AC to electric, but it's expensive and difficult.

Brian
Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
ECOModder

I was thinking on running ALL the accessories via a motor mounted in place of the SADS.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Buggie - '01 Vw Beetle TDI Gls
A motor driven alternator is not very productive
Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

Hi Mr. Previa,
I understand. I have an old pickup that has enough under the hood room for a motor and extra space for the batteries. I could re-route the belts and replace the alternator with an electric motor. I'd keep my starting battery, and keep it charged with a DC to DC inverter from the batteries for the accessories motor. Recharge them from the wall. I'd run the water pump too. So I need to figure out how much power that takes...
Anyway this is a fine idea, a super mild plug-in hybrid.
-mort
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
ECOModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Hi Mr. Previa,
I understand. I have an old pickup that has enough under the hood room for a motor and extra space for the batteries. I could re-route the belts and replace the alternator with an electric motor. I'd keep my starting battery, and keep it charged with a DC to DC inverter from the batteries for the accessories motor. Recharge them from the wall. I'd run the water pump too. So I need to figure out how much power that takes...
Anyway this is a fine idea, a super mild plug-in hybrid.
-mort
That is great, but I think a dual deep cycle and no motor for alty might work better, IMHO... But, all options should be investigated. Besides they are great learning experiences.

I have a 2010 Prius that I already converted to a plugin. My next step will be to go all electric. I was toying with the idea of the SADS removal because:

1, it would be cool to actually make my own hybrid;
2, I HATE OPEC, and would rather buy extra batteries, etc than to spend it of gas;
3, the SADS are costly to repair, and I would rather use that money towards a greener vehicle.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I understand now your idea. I assume you own a Previa. Have you tried disconnecting the PS lines from the pump, reconnecting them together and then driving w/out PS? Could be that you don't need PS, especially if you don't parallel park a lot, and it would be one less accessory to drive from the motor. In any case, I'd be curious to know what you thought of driving w/out PS.

I've seen online guys who have converted the radiator fan to electric using Taurus/Sable fans. Converting the power brakes to electric is as easy as hooking up a vacuum pump. The EV guys do it all the time, though you probably know this from your experience with the Prius.

That would only leave the AC to run off the motor. Have you picked any motors yet? I'd be curious to see what you find. From what I've read, Masterflux makes some good DC compressors, but they aren't cheap.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
ECOModder

Got the Deep Cycle installed. Now I am getting the parts to cycle the alternator on and off via a 100 amp solenoid. I decided to go this route just in case I need to charge the battery on the run. I will add a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery during the day. It won't be much, but it is free energy for 8 hours a day.

Reply  Post New Thread