EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Private conversion of an S10 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/private-conversion-s10-38842.html)

Varn 11-30-2020 11:51 PM

Private conversion of an S10

https://www.qsl.net/k/k5lxp//ev/evmain.html

This isn't mine but looks pretty viable.

Of course it is ridiculous to say that electric vehicles do not use fossil fuels.

Stubby79 12-01-2020 02:35 AM

"Copyright 2001." and "Made with O/S2 Warp."

Wow...it's been a long time since I used O/S2. A looooong time. It was on a 386...

Ahh, memories...so buried, I thought them lost!

Surprised this server - or at least the web site - still exists.

Ecky 12-01-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varn (Post 637355)
Of course it is ridiculous to say that electric vehicles do not use fossil fuels.

Sure, but the degree to which they do varies. I live in a city powered entirely by renewables, so if I were to charge locally, my commute at least would not (directly or first-degree indirectly) use any fossil fuels. You could argue that building the hydro, wind and solar installations used fossil fuels.

freebeard 12-01-2020 07:19 PM

It also presumes petroleum and coal are biotic in origin, and not 'rock squeezings' contaminated with biotic materials.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-02-2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 637424)
It also presumes petroleum and coal are biotic in origin, and not 'rock squeezings' contaminated with biotic materials.

Doesn't fossil already imply biotic origin?

freebeard 12-02-2020 11:47 PM

That was my point. Probably a discussion for The Lounge.

Varn 12-03-2020 12:30 AM

I felt that this vehicle was very well engineered using quality materials of the day. The 1990s seem like yesterday.

We use less than 5-10 gallons of liquid fuel a month and no electricity for transportation. It makes no sense to spend thousands of dollars to convert so that we can save $20 a month and have a way less emp proof vehicle. Still I applaud those that make conversions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 637407)
Sure, but the degree to which they do varies. I live in a city powered entirely by renewables, so if I were to charge locally, my commute at least would not (directly or first-degree indirectly) use any fossil fuels. You could argue that building the hydro, wind and solar installations used fossil fuels.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 02-18-2021 10:34 PM

EVs are still not an one-size-fits-all approach and I don't believe it will ever become such, yet hybrid setups have been on the way to become unavoidable.

Flakbadger 02-21-2021 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 642686)
EVs are still not an one-size-fits-all approach and I don't believe it will ever become such, yet hybrid setups have been on the way to become unavoidable.

Hybrids are the worst of both worlds in reality. Expensive, not that much more efficient than a gasoline vehicle, far less efficient than an EV---or equally as efficient as an EV when in electric-only mode, but for a fraction of the range. EVs are not a one-size-fits-all, but neither are any other form of vehicle. Pickup trucks are terrible city cars. Subcompact sedans make awful lumber-haulers.

EVs are the future, because they have to be. Gas is finite and there are many MANY ways to make a battery.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 02-21-2021 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flakbadger (Post 642843)
EVs are the future, because they have to be. Gas is finite and there are many MANY ways to make a battery.

I don't really hold my breath for EVs. Range-anxiety is a serious issue, and there are other fuels that might be better suited to different operators if they eventually get into the hybrid bandwagon.

I'd rather keep a "range extender", which could eventually run on ethanol or biomethane, than having to rely on batteries alone.