EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Project ''Daily Wolfsburg'' MK4 Jetta (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/project-daily-wolfsburg-mk4-jetta-13839.html)

Lokalazeros 07-11-2010 03:10 PM

Project ''Daily Wolfsburg'' MK4 Jetta

Hello,

Welcome the 'Daily Wolfsburg' project thread. In this topic I will to document the mods I am doing to my 2003 1.8t Volkswagen Jetta regarding fuel efficiency, and general fuel consumption in general.

I'd like to share my work because I've noticed that more and more people feel they could do something about the whole I-use-too-much-energy / climate change issue, and most of the time they don't realize how easy (and relaxing) it is to use less energy, or at least use it more efficiently.

I'll do my best to keep this thread clear and organized. I'll update this post (if the forum allow ?!) to update and add links to the mod list below.

Feel free to comment / suggest anything you have in mind, as long as it stay constructive and respectful :)
Goals
-Use less fuel than the TDI alternative.(mk4 Jetta TDI get 6.2l/100km EPA) on average for last 90 days
-And, my gamer side is telling me I also should also try to beat garage's member Spil (best average for a non-tdi jetta, as far as I could tell) with an average of 6.17L/100km (38.5mpg for 90 days) (Spil if you are active on the forum, let me know ahah.:D)

Car Spec
2003 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg edition
160 xxx Km
1.8L turbo on stock boost
16'' BBS RXII covered by P205/55R16 pumped @ 41PSI front, 42.5 rear(Summer set-up)
to be confirmed(Winter set-up)
Fuelled using Premium octane 91 as spec'd
EPA is 9.8l/100km or 24mpg

Modifications (as of 11 July 2010)
Major driver's re-education
Scangauge II (still calibrating as of 11 July '10)
Lower-mid grill block (version: V0 | V1 ) (V.0 Installed on the 10 July 2010)

ToDo/Whishlist
Full DIY HID headlight (Status: In progress / Paused)
Upper ''VW'' grill block & 'vw' Shaving (Status: Asap / Before 2010-2011 Winter)
Lowering 1-2'' for the summer (Status: When money allow / next summer)
Lightweight wheels on Low Rolling Resistance tires (Status: When money allow / Next summers )
Mooncap wheel cover (Status: low priority)

Lokalazeros 07-11-2010 03:42 PM

Lower-mid Grill Block

I've been thinking about blocking my grill(s) for some time now. I've skipped the coroplast step because I wanted a very clean, factory looking look.

Version 0: (Kinda-prototype / proof of concept)
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9...cn1190z.th.jpg
This is the first one I made. It worked great as far as blocking the grill, but the chrome nut needed to play chameleon or else the 'block would go to the scrap bin.

Version 2: Update & mod to V1 to make it stealthier
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2...cn1212z.th.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3...cn1209z.th.jpghttp://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3...n1210pt.th.jpg

Added tabs inside the grill in a way the nuts would be inside the grill. Made bigger hole in the grill to make removal easier. This version look good enough for me, but I'll probably end-up doing one more update, because even tho it's not eye catching as the first one, I think there would be a way to do it even better. Anyway, this one is OK looking, and I am pretty sure it will help aero-wise.

Note: I didn't block the 2 smaller grills on the outside of the bumper. This is because the right one is 95% already blocked from the factory, and the left one feed my intercooler. I'll probably end-up blocking them anyway for the winter, when I find a way to make them the way I'd like them.

Edit:
Almost forgot. Cost goes as fallow:
4x Toggle Bolts (5.99$ for 12) 1.99$
1x (24''x36'') Bronze Plexi (20.99, used 1/4) 5.27$
1x All-Plastic Super Glue (6.99, still full) 1$
=========================== 8.26$ Cad

Big Dave 07-11-2010 04:53 PM

Have you baselined your car to confirm that you are getting EPA mileage?

You are looking to improve your MPG by 38% by driving improvements, a grille block, lowering, and wheels/tires.

Good luck. Keep us apprised.

Lokalazeros 07-11-2010 06:52 PM

If you look at the 3 or four first entry in my fuel log, you will notice I averaged +/- 8.7 L/100 (27mpg) while driving slower than before (ie: at speed limit), while still not hypermilling it at all. My guess is that I was getting worst than the EPA before I discovered the whole ecomodding scene, but I can't confirm, as I never calculated my mpg before the first entry in my fuel log.

If I recall right, I should be doing epa +33 right now, so getting it to +38 shouldn't be that hard, with some aerodynamics enhancement and an even more relaxed driving style.

Oh, and you made me think, I forgot to add Moon caps wheel cover to my Todo list.

Thanks for the reply.

Big Dave 07-12-2010 04:40 PM

Getting a gasser to get better MPG than a TDI is a tall order if you don't go hybrid.

Lokalazeros 07-13-2010 05:15 PM

I never said it was going to be easy, but I think It's worth a try. In fact, some week after getting the 1.8T, I discovered Ecomodder.com, and wished I buyed a TDI. That day, I told myself I could switch to a TDI whenever I was able to consistently get the TDI's epa with my gasser (or when this car die, of course).

I've found this car to be easy to hypermile. The only 'downside' to the 1.8t is it have way more power that I need to hypermile, which means that if I'm in a hurry (or if I don't pay attention), I'll stomp it, and the car will get a decent acceleration rate. Fun, but bad for Fe/Fc ;)

I'm not convinced about the whole Hybrid concept. I think the fuel economy is there, but I'd rather not see tons and tons of old battery in a landfill in 5-10 years.

Anyway, I *may* fill up tonight, so we'll see.:)

tasdrouille 07-13-2010 09:02 PM

Hey Lokalazeros, where in Quebec are you? The gasser Jetta is really not much of a fuel sipper, quite the contrary. It's still awesome you are able to pull over 30 mpg with it. I love TDIs, but I'm biased. I wish you the best of lucks with your mods. Looking great so far.

brucey 07-14-2010 01:23 PM

Identical car to my brothers, and he gets 27 MPG out of it driven normally in Florida.

He tends to pulse and glide (without knowing it) though. He'll accelerate quickly for the fun and then just let it coast. It's his first manual so he enjoys the shifting.

Lokalazeros 07-14-2010 05:14 PM

Hey Tasd'rouille,

I am actually located in Lévis.

Quote:

It's still awesome you are able to pull over 30 mpg with it.
I think I would have sold the jetta back by this time if it would do worst than 30mpg (7.84L/100km). The Kia Rio5 caught my eye last week, I was under the impression they looked worst than they really do. :)

chris_kraft3 06-27-2011 01:06 PM

Is there any updates with project wolfsburg?