Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ranger - '94 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
90 day: 19.99 mpg (US)
89 Subaru XT EV?

I have an 89 subaru that I dumped way too much money into, only to have engine problems. I'd love to turn this into and electric vehicle but I'm not sure it would work. It's a 5 speed MT 4WD. The original motor only had about 95 hp I think. I have two concerns: it weighs I think around 3,600 lbs. and is only rated to carry around 650 lbs. Opinions? Will I be able to carry enough batteries after I remove the engine and everything related. Maybe if I pull all the 4 wheel drive stuff too?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

experimental - '90 honda crx hf
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 67.81 mpg (US)
from what ive dug up it weights about 2400 lbs. highly unlikely to weigh 3600 pounds. i dont know much about your car or electrical conversions but, if you already own the car thats more money for the conversion. but on the other hand a car with a bad engine that has more room for equipment wouldnt be very much either.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've put a lot of money into brakes, tires, suspension, clutch, etc. The motor is about the only thing I haven't done anything to, so I was thinking this would be a way to get some use from the money I put into it. I couldn't recover from my loss even if I found a cheap used motor in decent shape to drop in it. Might as well do something with it right? I'll check the weight when I get home. I know it weighed a lot more than I thought such a small car should, maybe it was 2600. I'm just starting to read up on electric conversions, but it seems like I should be able to get a motor in with possibly even more hp than the ICE had. My main concern is the weight of the batteries. I actually had a large person ride in the car, I'm sure putting me over the load capacity. The passenger side cv axle came off the car at 55 mph down the highway (it was an old axle and the car sat for quite sometime). I could remove the rear seat if needed. I only need enough room for myself and my son.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
What specs do you want out of the car and do you need 4 wheel drive?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I live about 20 miles one way from work. I have two routes I can take, one is highway with a speed limit of 55 - 60 mph and the other road is through towns with the speed limit ranging from 35 - 55 mph. If I could drive to work and home in it that would be fantastic. 4WD is not a must, but very nice to have in Ohio in the winter. I might be able to talk my employer to allowing me to plug in and charge while at work for 9 hours.

Reply  Post New Thread